• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dbmamaz

The Food I Miss The Most

Rate this topic

Hot peppers!!

I took the A.L.C.A.T test and reacted to over a third of the foods they tested me for. I have chosen NOT to do the yeast diet at this point, because the other foods are stressing me out too much already, so I'm still eating sugar. But all in all, the hardest things to give up are the spices! The roast chicken and lamb just arent as good without the thyme and rosemary! The soups are not the same without onions.

But tonight was taco night . . . . I make our own taco seasoning, and I have to take my meat out before I add the chili powder, onion powder, cumin and cayenne ... so, my meat is kinda tasteless . .. i added black pepper, but it isnt the same. Plus I cant have salsa either.

Avoiding a few fruits and veggies, limiting myself to only a few meats, having 3 grains to eat, these things I can work with. Yeast, egg whites, peanuts and almonds, rice and fish sauce, I'm adjusting. But taking away my spices?! I'm dying here!!! Food is tasteless!!

I keep telling myself its only another month, and then I can start adding things back in . .. and i tell you, the first thing will be chili peppers, cayenne and jalepenos, and next will be onion, and next will be thyme and rosemary and basil.

You know, I kind of had this discussion last night, or a similiar one. I said I have to stop resenting celiac disease, it's going to be with me for the rest of my life! I have been gluten free now for over 7 1/2 yrs. In the beginning, it was wonderful, I had my life back! I didn't have to worry about having a stomachache every night, the diarrhea was gone for the most part--I didn't mind giving up my sandwiches and I could still have my noodles in the form of Tinkiyada.

Fast forward to now and add all the other intolerance's that I have now and you r food sounds nice to me. I use salt and pepper, haven't used any other spice in so long I can't remember. I can't tell you the last time I had a piece of red meat. I only can eat chicken breast, and some fish now. I have to be very careful with my veggies, just green beans, peas, occasionally carrots--oranges, apples, pears, a few grapes, maybe occasionally a banana. I never had to give up my dairy and I have always been very grateful for that. I eat no grains except for my 2 caramel corn ricecakes every morning for breakfast with peanut butter. We are not sure why that little bit of rice doesn't bother me, but we are not arguing the fact. For some reason, I can eat potatoe chips too and we don't understand why, but we aren't arguing that fact either.

No other grains, soy, corn, and rice constipate me, plus make my tummy break out in an ugly rash, oats have always been just as bad as gluten for me, no red meats, no nightshades (tomatoes make me sick in 20 minutes and I do so love them, mushrooms are just as bad and a favorite), no cruiferous veggies---------plus non of the grains can touch my skin without hives.

As diseases go, celiac may be the disease of choice, so to speak--a diet change can be the only thing you need do to feel better. It can be much more forgiving than other diseases, yet for some of us, it's not so easy. I do not wish celiac on anyone, and I certainly do not wish I had something else, yet I never, ever say it's an easy disease to deal with--it's not. There are so many levels of this disease, so many unknowns to it still. I learn more everyday in the forums I read in.

What we need to remember is: celiac disease can be fatal. We need to be thankful we found out what is wrong and that we are dealing with it and have our life back. Taking away a some spices is nothing compared to living a healthy life, is it? Check out some Mrs. Dash, some are gluten free and maybe you can try for additional flavor.

Ok, it just got worse. All the foods I mentioned before were ones I CANT have (aside from the chicken and lamb). However, those were all 'sensitivities' from the A.L.C.A.T test . . .

Today I went to the allergist and had scratch-tests plus interdermal (little shots). When the doctor looked at the results, he said, "well, you're allergic to your world". I reacted to pretty much every tree, weed, animal and mold he tested me for. When he looked at the foods, he said that for the elimination diet, he would only take me off things I reacted a 2 or higher, because "Otherwise, you'd pretty much be eating grapes and water." Ok, slight exaggeration, because I didnt react to cantaloupe, orange, peach, white grape, onion, green bean, peanut or celery. He ordered blood tests for lamb and turkey, since I reacted to ever meat and fish he could test me for.

I told him that I would do his elimination diet after I finished the one I'm already on . ..

This is NUTS! I'm not even that sick! Although I felt pretty lousy after the testing, thats for sure.

WHY am I both allergic and sensitive to everything? Or even more important, why am I not as sick as my sister who has fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, and has been hospitalized for suicidal tendancies several times . . .

Sorry, just venting . .. I dont think there's anything else to do, is there?

You know, I kind of had this discussion last night, or a similiar one. I said I have to stop resenting celiac disease, it's going to be with me for the rest of my life! I have been gluten free now for over 7 1/2 yrs. In the beginning, it was wonderful, I had my life back! I didn't have to worry about having a stomachache every night, the diarrhea was gone for the most part--I didn't mind giving up my sandwiches and I could still have my noodles in the form of Tinkiyada.

Fast forward to now and add all the other intolerance's that I have now and you r food sounds nice to me. I use salt and pepper, haven't used any other spice in so long I can't remember. I can't tell you the last time I had a piece of red meat. I only can eat chicken breast, and some fish now. I have to be very careful with my veggies, just green beans, peas, occasionally carrots--oranges, apples, pears, a few grapes, maybe occasionally a banana. I never had to give up my dairy and I have always been very grateful for that. I eat no grains except for my 2 caramel corn ricecakes every morning for breakfast with peanut butter. We are not sure why that little bit of rice doesn't bother me, but we are not arguing the fact. For some reason, I can eat potatoe chips too and we don't understand why, but we aren't arguing that fact either.

No other grains, soy, corn, and rice constipate me, plus make my tummy break out in an ugly rash, oats have always been just as bad as gluten for me, no red meats, no nightshades (tomatoes make me sick in 20 minutes and I do so love them, mushrooms are just as bad and a favorite), no cruiferous veggies---------plus non of the grains can touch my skin without hives.

As diseases go, celiac may be the disease of choice, so to speak--a diet change can be the only thing you need do to feel better. It can be much more forgiving than other diseases, yet for some of us, it's not so easy. I do not wish celiac on anyone, and I certainly do not wish I had something else, yet I never, ever say it's an easy disease to deal with--it's not. There are so many levels of this disease, so many unknowns to it still. I learn more everyday in the forums I read in.

What we need to remember is: celiac disease can be fatal. We need to be thankful we found out what is wrong and that we are dealing with it and have our life back. Taking away a some spices is nothing compared to living a healthy life, is it? Check out some Mrs. Dash, some are gluten free and maybe you can try for additional flavor.

Deb, I seem to have many of the same issues as you. Very limited on food. I don't get the rash, but so many things besides gluten make me sick.

What I miss the most... I wish I could eat cheese actually. I wasn't a big fan of cheese, but I miss it now. I wish I had less fruit allergies too, so that I could eat all of them.