Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCW

A Gluten "slip Up"

Hello,

I've been very careful gluten free for almost a month now, and made the mistake yesterday of being out for an extended period of time without safe food to eat. I've noticed that I get REALLY hungry, when I'm hungry -- almost like a sudden dip in blood sugar. Anyhow, I was at a Starbucks, and looked through all their ingredients for menu items and the only thing that didn't list wheat was chocolate cheesecake. (VERY sweet.) I got it and started kind of wolfing it down, and within three bites I was overcome by nausea and almost got sick. I thought it was because it was way too sweet and I really needed substantial food, but I suddenly realized it had a cookie crust. (Strange thing to overlook when I've been so careful!) I only had a couple of bites, but there you go. Today I have stomach pain, slight nausea and reflux for the first time in about two weeks.

Do you think that reaction could have been from the gluten in the crust? Would the reaction make my stomach upset even tonight? I had a biopsy that "suggested" celiac and a negative blood test, but my doctor believes I have "subclinical gluten intolerance."

Thank you.

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good pizza crust?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After almost 2 years even with accidents, I can get a reaction to gluten in minutes, especially if I inhale flour in a kitchen or forget and lick an envelop. It's a constant battle to be diligent vrs, hunger. It can happen fast and slower for me depending on the type of accident.

Good luck

Hello,

I've been very careful gluten free for almost a month now, and made the mistake yesterday of being out for an extended period of time without safe food to eat. I've noticed that I get REALLY hungry, when I'm hungry -- almost like a sudden dip in blood sugar. Anyhow, I was at a Starbucks, and looked through all their ingredients for menu items and the only thing that didn't list wheat was chocolate cheesecake. (VERY sweet.) I got it and started kind of wolfing it down, and within three bites I was overcome by nausea and almost got sick. I thought it was because it was way too sweet and I really needed substantial food, but I suddenly realized it had a cookie crust. (Strange thing to overlook when I've been so careful!) I only had a couple of bites, but there you go. Today I have stomach pain, slight nausea and reflux for the first time in about two weeks.

Do you think that reaction could have been from the gluten in the crust? Would the reaction make my stomach upset even tonight? I had a biopsy that "suggested" celiac and a negative blood test, but my doctor believes I have "subclinical gluten intolerance."

Thank you.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you.

yes, reactions can take anywhere from minutes to days to appear, depending on how much gluten was ingested, the concentration of the gluten, and the severity of your condition (not that you can really have non-serious coeliac its just a question of the amount of time its been active)

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

As nikky just said, it depends on your sensativity...for me it only takes a few minutes. Last year i had to eat gluten for 5 days before a scope and i nearly threw up WHILE eating a bun because I almost instantly got a reaction.

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Join eNewsletter

Guest j_mommy

As said above I believe it varies for each person. It is definelty possible. I know when I'm super hungery and then eat alot(especially something sweet) I get an upset stomach. However, you obviously were eating something with gluten so I would say that is what it was.

For me the reaction depends on if I was glutened or CC'd. If I get glutened(which hasn't happend in months...THANK GOD!!!!), it's almost instant!!! CC usually is a couple of hours later!

Hope you feel better soon!

Join eNewsletter

For me the reaction depends on if I was glutened or CC'd. If I get glutened(which hasn't happend in months...THANK GOD!!!!), it's almost instant!!! CC usually is a couple of hours later!

Hello, I'm new at this and am just figured out why I couldn't reply before! Thank you for your response! By the way, what's CC? Thanks, TW

Join eNewsletter

Hello, I'm new at this and am just figured out why I couldn't reply before! Thank you for your response! By the way, what's CC? Thanks, TW

CC is cross contamination.. an example would be if you cut normal bread with a knife then used the same knife (which now has gluten on it), without washing it on a loaf of gluten free.. that gluten free bread would now have gluten on/in it

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

Quite honestly it varies so much....

I don't even think it has to do with how much .... indeed it seems totally random how long it takes and how long it lasts...

I'm sure quite a lot of things influence it like general health and being tired or not etc. but the best rule is there seems to be no general rule.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter