Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Anyone On Here In Sales?

How do you cope with your food intolerances when traveling? i'd appreciate some feedback- thx

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well I am not in sales but I just went to Denver from Houston. For the plane trip to Denver I took baggies of carrots, broccoli, salad dip, canadian bacon cut into fourths, fresh pineapple in a throw away container, banana, pecans & walnuts, small box of raisins, dried apricots & some See's candy that I had purchased the day before. I take an insulated water bottle that travels with me everywhere. after I get thru security I fill it with ice & get a bottle of water. I packed all this in a plastic bag & stuffed it in my carry on bag. You can also use those insulated lunch kits that you can fold up when empty... When I got to Denver I stashed the leftovers in the full size refrig in my hotel room - it had a full kitchen. They also had a grocery service, you could place your order & have it delivered the same day. There were also 7 eleven & walgreens open 24 hours that were a block away.

I was staying downtown, so for dinner I went to P F Chang's & had a great meal. For breakfast the next day I picked up some things from the hotel complimentary breakfast buffet. I had fresh pineapple, bacon, an orange & a banana & ate some of my leftover canadian bacon. For lunch I took a cab to Deby's gluten free cafe !!! I went to P F Chang's again for dinner. On the flight home I was bad & had picked up a snickers bar & had that to tide me over till I got home. I had the same breakfast as the day before. I did have my pecans, raisins, carrots & some canadian bacon & a banana (from the breakfast buffet) but I just opted to have a sugary treat & wait till I got home to have a real meal.

I had planned my meals before I left, so I knew where I was going to eat. If there had been no place to eat, I would have just packed a cooler to check in as baggage, you just cannot put ice or dry ice in it - I think, unless the regulations have changed. Just freeze some meals ahead of time.

I always take extra baggies & wet wipes to wash my hands with when sitting on a plane - all the seats & everything are covered in wheat because all people on planes eat are sandwiches or something else that contains wheat. They served muffins on the way to Denver.

I do not travel for business so much anymore, but I will go anywhere anytime for fun & I just take my food or find something along the way. very easy with the internet these days... I also cannot eat beef, white potatoes, grains, rice, dairy, mushrooms, & a few other things. No sodas, coffee, or tea... I pretty much have to have gluten free whole foods, so no packing any of those wonderful gluten free energy bars for me. They all contain a grain or some artificial sweetner that I am also allergic to...

I would also like to mention that you should invest in the right equipment. I have at least 4 different lunch kits, all the tupperware type things to fit in them, with some disposable ones, good to just toss when you are traveling. I keep Rubbermaid Blue Ice in the freezer. I did not try to carry this on the plane though, I am pretty sure it would get tossed. I carry two different types & sizes of coolers in my car at all times, a oblong soft sided cooler with pockets on the outside & a small square hard sided cooler. I also have a large hard sided cooler that has wheels, and a smaller hard sided cooler that fits nicely on the back seat for a car trip of picnic. I keep those straps to go around a cooler to check as baggage. If you fly in somewhere & rent a car you can also buy those styrofoam coolers everywhere...

Join eNewsletter

I always try to find a hotel with suites so I have a kitchen, microwave, dishwasher, fridge. However, I know that some (maybe all) Marriots can provide a mini fridge and microwave in your room upon request. You would want to put in your request on the early side because they generally don't have a lot to go around. At least with a microwave you could bring some of those Thai Kitchen soups and noodles as a back-up.

Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006

Lactose Intolerant since 1980

100% Lactose Free since May 2006

Caffeine Free since August 2007

Hashimoto's Disease

Join eNewsletter

Last time I was at the airport there was a sign stating that liquids are ok if you have a medical necessity for them. I got a note from my doctor the other day saying I have to carry food with me due to celiac. I'm going to call the TSA to see what the regulations are on that. But it's probably something for you to look into, too.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter