Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mera

Advice For Diagnosis

Just joined & need advice.

For a year now I have had abnormal blood test results & GI problems along with anemia, fatigue, muscle pains, confusion, & I'm sure there's more. My blood test continue to show that IgA is High and IgG is VERY high, High levels of protein (in blood) Postitive Rheumatoid Factor. I have also had problems with keeping my blood sugar levels up. So with no luck on finding answers with my PA I searched the internet & learned about Celaic. Approached a doctor wanting a test and was told, "If you think you're allergic to wheat , then don't eat Wheat, barley, rye for 4 weeks & see how you feel. After that re-introduce wheat & see if it bothers you." So I come home & research this & now am wondering,, should I see a GI doc or at least have blood work done first? Will 4 weeks be long enough to make a difference?

Thanks for any advice,,,,,

mera

NOT DX

gluten-free- Feb 25,08

Meranda

not diagnosed

gluten-free Feb. 25,08

sjogren's syndrome 07

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends on if you want an official diagnosis.

If you want an official diagnosis, you need to keep eating gluten and get the blood tests run.

If you don't want/need an official diagnosis, go by the dietary response.

There are pros and cons to both. You can always go gluten free after you have the testing done, regardless of the results.

Its harder to re-introduce gluten, after being off of it for awhile, and be on it long enough for accurate testing. So if you want testing, go back to gluten and get tested ASAP.

Best of luck, and welcome to the board!

Join eNewsletter

If you want/need an official diagnosis then you need to get back on gluten straight away and then get tested, but be aware that even if the blood tests are high then the biopsy may be clear (false negative). If that happens your doctor may completely disregard coeliac even though you have got it. (If your lucky they will go with the bloods and the symptoms).

If you dont want/need to get an official diagnosis then go with the dietry response, but remember that it may not just be gluten that you are intolerant to, a lot of people with celiac disease also have problems with lactose/dairy, and have vitamin and/or mineral difficiencies.

Good luck and welcome to the forum ;)

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for your replies! I'm going to continue to give this a GO. I don't guess I NEED an official diagnosis. If going Gluten Free helpsthen I'll stick with it, but I am concerned about my 2 children.

Meranda

not diagnosed

gluten-free Feb. 25,08

sjogren's syndrome 07

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for your replies! I'm going to continue to give this a GO. I don't guess I NEED an official diagnosis. If going Gluten Free helpsthen I'll stick with it, but I am concerned about my 2 children.

celiac disease does run in families so id say that if you respond to the diet and they are getting sick you should try them on a gluten free diet as well to see if they respond

alternatively you could get tested (just bloods would be enough really) and if you have it then chances are they will

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Join eNewsletter

It sounds like you have a smart PA there. If you get results from the diet he will most likely make note of it and state that you have either gluten intolerance or celiac in your record. With your history I suspect you will be a different person after a few months gluten free. You may even find your RA is relieved or even goes into remission. You have found a good spot for info and support, gluten can hide in a lot of places and with the RA you want to be as strict as possible. Make sure you check all your meds, script and OTC, cosmetics and toiletries. I hope you are feeling better soon, and welcome.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter