Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbronwynne

Diagnosis Based On Positive Dietary Response?

Hi. Although I have been lurking here for many months, this is my first post. I was recently diagnosed by a gastroenterologist as celiac based on my very positive response to a gluten-free diet and abrupt decline on a gluten challenge. My celiac panel was negative several months ago, but I had been mostly gluten free for the two months prior. The gastro said she saw no point in testing me anymore when I obviously had all the symptoms that resolved after going gluten-free. She diagnosed me with celiac and sent a letter to my primary care doctor and advised me to call if any problems arose.

After the horrible (self-imposed) gluten challenge, there was never any question I would be gluten-free for the rest of my life. I didn't really need her label of celiac to convince me. However, I was shocked by her instant diagnosis and lack of planning for any further testing. Has anyone else had this experience? I have a 4 year old daughter and plan on getting her tested by enterolab, even though the whole family is gluten-free now.

Thank you all for the great posts - they have helped me get through some pretty tough months. This is a great site!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations on having one of the few sensible doctors, those are way too rare.

Good for you for making your whole house gluten-free, that is the only way to be really safe without constantly having to be so vigilant.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Hi. Although I have been lurking here for many months, this is my first post. I was recently diagnosed by a gastroenterologist as celiac based on my very positive response to a gluten-free diet and abrupt decline on a gluten challenge. My celiac panel was negative several months ago, but I had been mostly gluten free for the two months prior. The gastro said she saw no point in testing me anymore when I obviously had all the symptoms that resolved after going gluten-free. She diagnosed me with celiac and sent a letter to my primary care doctor and advised me to call if any problems arose.

After the horrible (self-imposed) gluten challenge, there was never any question I would be gluten-free for the rest of my life. I didn't really need her label of celiac to convince me. However, I was shocked by her instant diagnosis and lack of planning for any further testing. Has anyone else had this experience? I have a 4 year old daughter and plan on getting her tested by enterolab, even though the whole family is gluten-free now.

Thank you all for the great posts - they have helped me get through some pretty tough months. This is a great site!

I think it's wonderful that your doctor is intelligent enough to not put you through anymore testing after your self imposed gluten challenge. I too tested negative and my doctor just last week was willing to say based on my horrible symptoms after accidental glutening and the positive impact that gluten free has had on me that "yes" I have it and no further testing needed. Welcome to the forum!

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

I have a several other issues so have had to have a lot of invasive proceedures-if I could've gotten by without them I would've been most happy. Your doctor is being wonderfully sensible :) . Back years ago when I was far less informed I used to think a proper biospy confirmed diagnosis was the only way to go, but as I've learned more about this disease (and met a bunch of really smart doctors along the way) I've learned how easy it is to miss important things, even with the most advanced testing.

Now I believe...Trust your gut :D

I don't eat gluten and neither do my cats

Join eNewsletter

You have a great doctor there who is more interested in your health than in running up a tab looking for anything but celiac. That doctor is a keeper, wish there were like him/her.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter