This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloodwork Results

Joni63

Joni63 Collaborator

Hello,

I'm confused about what my Doctor has tested me for and what vitimins I should be taking supplements for. Apparently all my bloodwork comes out looking good, but I don't think I'm being tested for some vitimins I should be checked for. I'm still very fatigued all the time and think this is the reason. All the numbers below are within range so I didn't bother posting everything, but this is what I have been tested for. Please help with suggestions. I'm making an appointment tomorrow and need some answers. I should be feeling better by now, but am still really tired. Thanks!

WBC

RBC

Hemoglobin

Hematocrit

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RDW

Platelets

Neutrophils

Lymphs

Monocytes

Eos

Baso

Glucose Serum

GLom Filt Rate

Vun/Creatinine Ratioj

Sodium,Serum

Potassium, Serum

Chloride, Serum

Carbon Dioxide, Total

Calcium, Serum

Protein Total, Serum

Globulin, Total

A/G Ratio

Bilirubin, Total

Alkaline Phosphatase, S

AST

ALT

On my own, I've been taking a multivitimin, extra C, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, D, B12 and B6. I have not taken any probiotics or enzymes yet. Are these necessary?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hello,

I'm confused about what my Doctor has tested me for and what vitimins I should be taking supplements for. Apparently all my bloodwork comes out looking good, but I don't think I'm being tested for some vitimins I should be checked for. I'm still very fatigued all the time and think this is the reason. All the numbers below are within range so I didn't bother posting everything, but this is what I have been tested for. Please help with suggestions. I'm making an appointment tomorrow and need some answers. I should be feeling better by now, but am still really tired. Thanks!

WBC

RBC

Hemoglobin

Hematocrit

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RDW

Platelets

Neutrophils

Lymphs

Monocytes

Eos

Baso

Glucose Serum

GLom Filt Rate

Vun/Creatinine Ratioj

Sodium,Serum

Potassium, Serum

Chloride, Serum

Carbon Dioxide, Total

Calcium, Serum

Protein Total, Serum

Globulin, Total

A/G Ratio

Bilirubin, Total

Alkaline Phosphatase, S

AST

ALT

On my own, I've been taking a multivitimin, extra C, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, D, B12 and B6. I have not taken any probiotics or enzymes yet. Are these necessary?

Hi Joni,

I am by far an expert!!! Have you been tested for Thyroid? I believe that low thyroid could cause fatigue. Here are the tests I had:

TSH

Thyroxine (T-4)

T3 Uptake

Free Thyroxine Index

Joni63 Collaborator

The only thyroid test I've ever had was TSH. It was 1.817, in the normal range. They never tested me for any other thyroid numbers. I will talk to her about that, too. Thanks!

itchygirl Newbie

How about a...

Sed rate

C-reactive protein

B-12

D (or ADEK if he feels adventurous :)

That should cover some possible immune and vitamin sources of fatigue-very broadly, there are a lot more specific tests.

Have you had and ANA before?

YoloGx Rookie
Hello,

WBC

RBC

Hemoglobin

Hematocrit

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RDW

Platelets

Neutrophils

Lymphs

Monocytes

Eos

Baso

Glucose Serum

GLom Filt Rate

Vun/Creatinine Ratioj

Sodium,Serum

Potassium, Serum

Chloride, Serum

Carbon Dioxide, Total

Calcium, Serum

Protein Total, Serum

Globulin, Total

A/G Ratio

Bilirubin, Total

Alkaline Phosphatase, S

AST

ALT

You need to make sure your vitamins etc. have no trace gluten in them. And yes enzymes really do help.

texasmama Rookie

I second testing for B12. You can be in the low normal range and still have some nasty symptoms. It happened to me. I am on B12 weekly self injections and it helps so much.

WW340 Rookie

I also agree with the B 12. I had low normal as well, but my doctor decided to try the B 12 injections. My fatigue improved greatly with the first injection and has continued to improve. My tremor went away along with the caffine sensitivity I had been having.

Fatigue was the only complaint I had left after a year gluten free.

I am not 100% yet, but getting so much better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
I also agree with the B 12. I had low normal as well, but my doctor decided to try the B 12 injections. My fatigue improved greatly with the first injection and has continued to improve. My tremor went away along with the caffine sensitivity I had been having.

Fatigue was the only complaint I had left after a year gluten free.

I am not 100% yet, but getting so much better.

I'll just add I tend to be B 1 deficient, not B 12. They don't make B 1 injections. So I take co-enzyme multiple vitamins to get 100 mg. of the B 1 each day -- balanced with the other B's (B 12 is in there however). The co-enzyme quality makes the B's go directly into the blood stream rather than having to be digested in the gut. As such one has to take it at least 2 hours after and 1 hour before eating--though in actuality I just take it either late at night or early in the morning. I avoid the sublinguals since they often have sorbitol which can have gluten. B 1 deficiency makes making use of basic protein and carbohydrates dicey as well as undermines the nervous system in general.

confusedks Enthusiast

You may also want to have an iron panel run. It usually includes your ferritin, total iron binding capacity (TIBC or IBC), iron saturation and it has a couple other things.

It is either called an iron/anemia panel or hematology panel. Even though your hemoglobin may be within normal range, these other numbers can be low which makes you iron deficient, not anemic.

That will cause lots of fatigue.

Joni63 Collaborator

I went back to my older bloodwork and found that I had been tested for the Iron and TIBC and also B12 and folate. This was taken 1 month after I went gluten free (the end of August)

Iron Bind. Cap. TIBC 338 250-450

UIBC 230 150-375

Iron, Serum 107 35-155

Iron Saturation 32 15 - 55

B12 659 211-911

Folate, Serum >24 >5.4 normal

Wonka Apprentice
You may also want to have an iron panel run. It usually includes your ferritin, total iron binding capacity (TIBC or IBC), iron saturation and it has a couple other things.

It is either called an iron/anemia panel or hematology panel. Even though your hemoglobin may be within normal range, these other numbers can be low which makes you iron deficient, not anemic.

That will cause lots of fatigue.

I've never seen a iron panel ordered as a hematology panel. The hematology panel is the Hgb, Wbc, Differential, Hct etc... this is usually done by a machine and if any of the tests done in a panel are abnormal then a technologist makes a slide and does the differential manually. The full iron studies has to be ordered as a full iron studies (at least in the labs I worked in).

itchygirl Newbie
I'll just add I tend to be B 1 deficient, not B 12. They don't make B 1 injections. .

Yolo! You will hopefully be pleased to learn that they do make thiamine injections. Just search on "Thiamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP" :)

Here is a PDF file with lots of info

Open Original Shared Link

Your doc should be able to get these for you, if you are interested

This vitamin has become very popular for injection in the past few years because large numbers of people who have had gastric bypass surgery are deficent in it.

Archived