Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dennis wayne

Airborne Eposure And Contamination

i was living near a very large mill in lowell mi. (king milling). i was sure it was affecting me and i have had 2 incidents where i think i was cc'd by a shopvac. but today i was talking to a woman who runs the local celiac support group and she said that she didn't believe it. does anyone know. i've read that it is possible and down by the mill there is flour all over the ground. any comments? :ph34r:

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You certainly can inhale flour. It can get on your hands, then on your food. It can be on your clothes, then on your counters, then on your food. That's why it's called cross contamination. Sometimes, we breathe through our mouth too, then you actually will be breathing it straight onto your tongue and swallowing it. The person at your meeting gave you false info.

You can't always believe everything another person tells you. We have had question and answer sessions at our celiac support meetings too, and there are times that the people who are suppose to know the most, just do not. They give newbies the wrong answers and I feel so bad for the newbies. Sometimes I even take them aside and try to explain to them, at least give them another angle to think about. One question was about make-up and if it is ever a problem, they were told no. Well, it certainly can be--lipstick touches your lips, which in turn also touches your tongue. Anything on your skin, can eventually get to your mouth, just by hand contact, if you aren't very careful--to be quite honest, most of us are not that conscious of how many times we touch our cheek, then maybe eat something. Or put lotion on and then eat.

Cross contamination is a very big issue for us. It's best to be safe, than to be sorry later.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

I agree totally with Deb. They will also tell you that all distilled gluten grains are safe, not a statement that applies to all of us. The knowledge about all that effects us with celiac is not well known.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

I cant even walk into a bakery if they have made anything recently. Going though a trade show last week got me good too. Restaurant supply show where they were showing off the latest pizza ovens after tossing dough in the air.

Also got glutened last year while talking to a friend who was breading shrimp.

For me breathing something is even worse than eating something accidently.

good luck

ken

i was living near a very large mill in lowell mi. (king milling). i was sure it was affecting me and i have had 2 incidents where i think i was cc'd by a shopvac. but today i was talking to a woman who runs the local celiac support group and she said that she didn't believe it. does anyone know. i've read that it is possible and down by the mill there is flour all over the ground. any comments? :ph34r:

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Two years ago I baked a cake for my husband for Valentine's Day out of normal flour. I was VERY careful not to get flour into the air, and washing my hands etc. And obviously, I didn't eat the cake, either.

I was sick for three days anyway. Needless to say, after that, I got rid of all wheat flour in my house, NOBODY is allowed to bake with regular flour here.

How much more flour would there be in the air near a mill! That lady who runs your support group is ill informed.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

That lady who runs your support group is ill informed.

I don't know if you meant that as a pun or not, but either way, it's a good one! :lol:

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter