Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kicannon

Recovery Time

OK, I have been gluten free for about 4 months. I felt much better after about 2-2 1/2 months. My problem and question is that I got was glutened about 3 weeks ago and am struggling to recover. For you veterans...After you have been gluten free and you have healed, if you are glutened, how long does it take to recover? Does a tiny amount of gluten cause you to drop all the way back to the beginning? Do I have to go another 2-3 months before I feel better. Or because my body has healed quite a bit, does my body recover faster? Anyone know?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sometimes you start noticing other sensitivities - i think I started realizing other things were bothering me around 3 months. Well, I realized that Tapioca bothered me earlier than that, because every time I ate a gluten-free baked good, i got sick. Watch your diet and your reactions and see if it could be something else. Often dairy is a problem (i quit dairy to start with tho) and others are bothered by soy (not me, tho).

hope you feel better soon

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

That's true. You might try keeping a food diary to see if you can trace things, and perhaps an elimination diet if you don't improve.

My sensitivity to gluten is increasing as well. I started out not really being aware if I got gluten. It is becoming clearer and clearer.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

I had a similar experience in the first part of the first year on the diet so I feel for you. I got what I think was the regular gluten version of a dish in a restauraunt instead of the gluten-free version that I orderd and was miserable for 3 weeks afterwards. Thankfully that wasn't the norm. In my experience, if you don't get anymore gluten in the meantime, that light switch(your immune reaction) should just switch off soon and you should be feeling better. Usually, if I 've just gotten a tiny amount of gluten, mine suddenly switches off after 3 days. It takes time for our intestinal tract to heal and there can be other complications such as vitamin deficiencies that can factor into how we feel. Combine these with the occasional symtoms from a glutening and it can take a while to feel consistantly better.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter