Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmcbride4291

`die Inmeat

In the last month I got sick after chopmeat. I dont's know if it is because of my leaky gut or is there gluten in the die that makes the meat so read. As an exfarmer I know the true color of meat. My wife insists on buying chopmeat that looks extrmely red because to her it looks fresher. Can anyone chime in on this? I also after eating this and acidic items, my skin hurts. Does anyone relate to this.This is how I found out I had a leaky gut. As I was drinking a very acidic grape juice my parathyroid which regulates acid levels in the body would go crazy. Having a leaky gut is not fun. Now I can eat less of a variety do to Celiac and leaky gut. Any good ideas on how to eat? I also need to fing gluten free bread for my children. I do not even know where to go. Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

where do you live?

I ask since stores/labeling laws vary

In US, the ground meat must be labeled with its ingredients, so have your wife read the package - any "natural flavors" may be an issue for you (they are for me, but some on this forum can tolerate them). Many ground meats have "natural flavors" added (even in a health food store), but most stores have at least one option with just one ingredient - the meat! Also if there is a butcher in the store, you can resort to buying a whole piece of meat & having it ground at the store. Or chop yourself at home.

For bread, try most health food stores (eg Whole Foods), Trader Joe's, and your supermarket if it has a gluten-free section. Sometimes the gluten-free bread is in the freezer in addition to/instead of being in a gluten-free section or next to the regular bread. Or you can get ambitious and check out the baking forums and make your own.

Bread alternative that may be easier (again depending on availability) - 100% corn tortillas, used as wraps. Also may be less expensive, gluten-free bread can be pricey.

good luck :)

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Join eNewsletter

It's unlikely that there is dye in chop meat (beef) which has been ground up at grocery meat dept. in grocery store. Unless you are purchasing processed meat, like frozen hamburger patties: then you should read the ingredient label and call the manufacturer/processor.

there's two possibilities going on here:

1) you have become sensitive or allergic to beef and/or

2) you have a hard time digesting beef and/or

3) the beef is being cooked in a vessel (pot/pan) that has residue of gluten and/or

4) the beef is being mixed with a wooden spoon or other item that has residue of gluten and/or

5) a gluten ingredient is unknowingly being introduced into the beef at home

I too look for the package of beef that is most red as that means it's fresher...a dark red/brown means the meat has been in meat case longer.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

There is a store in town that I will not buy meat from. It is a very nice place that presents itself as high-end but the meat case is full of in store prepared items, many breaded and they don't do a god job keeping things separate. The meats from one section touch those in the next and breadcrumbs seem to be everywhere.

While it can be daunting at first, I recommend baking your own bread. It is less expensive and much better than the store bought breads. This is the bread recipe that many on the forum use. The rice flour, tapioca and potato starch can be bought at asian markets or regular grocery chains that cater to international customers. The cost is much less than the flours bought at healthfood stores-I pay less than a dollar a bag.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28633

Added later:

Baking gluten-free bread takes less time than traditional breadmaking because we have only one rise. You can also save time by mixing up the flours and dry ingredients ahead of time and putting batches in ziplock bags. You can just grab one and add the wet ingredients when you are ready to bake.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter