Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Drinking Aloe

someone suggested i add about a tablespoon or two to warm water w/lemon and it helps digestion issues.

anyone use this or have heard of it helping?

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

someone suggested i add about a tablespoon or two to warm water w/lemon and it helps digestion issues.

anyone use this or have heard of it helping?

Depends on the person. If you use any more per day it will cause D so watch out! I think using marshmallow root or slippery elm is way safer--and more effective at soothing the lining of the gut. Also using enzymes helps with the digestion itself: bromelain/papain and pancreatin for the intestines. Use HCL only if you don't have enough stomach acid. A general vegetarian non gluten food enzyme combo can work well...

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

I am not Celiac, my two daughters are. One year ago, I was diagnosed with a rare genetic malformation that led to hundreds of polyps on my digestive tract. Prior to the removal of my colon, I met with a natural nutritionist who highly recommended Bromelain and aloe vera juice. The aloe that I used was George's brand - no taste to it. It seemed to help me quite a bit. I started to give doses to my girls since they seemed to be having digestive problems (and at that time, I had never heard of Celiac). They seemed to improve, as well. I was pleased that you brought this topic up and look forward to checking back to this section to see what other responses you get. I have been considering giving my girls aloe again but wasn't sure about the distillation process and if it was truly gluten free. I had very positive experiences with aloe vera juice (although most brands taste terrible!). I have never tried it with citrus like you were suggesting. I am also not sure about the previous post's reference to diarhhea. I had other issues and can not testify to my output, I do know that my girls seemed fine on the child dose. Granted, the girls had Celiac (I didn't know it) and their bowel movements were nothing normal prior to aloe!!! (also, the nutritionist that I spoke of takes doses of aloe every day).

Join eNewsletter

I am not Celiac, my two daughters are. One year ago, I was diagnosed with a rare genetic malformation that led to hundreds of polyps on my digestive tract. Prior to the removal of my colon, I met with a natural nutritionist who highly recommended Bromelain and aloe vera juice. The aloe that I used was George's brand - no taste to it. It seemed to help me quite a bit. I started to give doses to my girls since they seemed to be having digestive problems (and at that time, I had never heard of Celiac). They seemed to improve, as well. I was pleased that you brought this topic up and look forward to checking back to this section to see what other responses you get. I have been considering giving my girls aloe again but wasn't sure about the distillation process and if it was truly gluten free. I had very positive experiences with aloe vera juice (although most brands taste terrible!). I have never tried it with citrus like you were suggesting. I am also not sure about the previous post's reference to diarhhea. I had other issues and can not testify to my output, I do know that my girls seemed fine on the child dose. Granted, the girls had Celiac (I didn't know it) and their bowel movements were nothing normal prior to aloe!!! (also, the nutritionist that I spoke of takes doses of aloe every day).

Some people swear by aloe its true. A small amount taken internally can be very soothing. If you just take the one to two tablespoons a day its supposed to also help your skin look younger etc. Many Asians use it for that purpose. However if you take any more than that it often does cause D big time. If you already have problems with D, I wouldn't suggest it. If you are constipated however it might be a help.

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

wow, aloe helps with the skin? what does it do?

i need anything that will keep me going to the bathroom everyday. i cant go and i need to be able to go.

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

I drink aloe with lemon or lime. The taste is not so bad. I took it before I went to bed and was ready to go in the morning.

I've also had success with Kombucha. It's a fermented tea that's loaded with probiotics. You can't overdo that though. A few ounces at a time throughout the day is ok, but not a whole bottle at once. I also find that I overall feel better with Kombucha and much prefer the taste.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

I used aloe for a while before I went gluten-free, I stopped because I wasn't sure if it was helping or hurting long term, and I was unable to determine if the brand I used was gluten-free. I found that it did help soothe my digestive system, helped with my reflux, and since I was always constipated and not with D, that it was useful to take everyday. I added it to cranberry juice and drank it with my vitamins.

Does any one know of gluten-free aloe brands on the market? I would actually consider starting that up again now that I have been gluten-free for a few months.

Join eNewsletter

I have a bottle of George's in the refrigerator.... it looks and tastes just like water :)

be well!~:):):)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

I was just thinking about the constipation issue. I have that too. What I use besides the fresh ground flax (1 tablespoon) with 1/4 tsp. apple pectin added (then mixed in water) is magnesium citrate. Just make sure you don't take too much. If you get loose bowels back off a bit and take a little less. It helps with many functions in the body. I notice it helps me sleep better too.

It is what makes so many celiacs crave chocolate since chocolate has lots of magnesium. However chocolate also has caffeine and isn't actually so great for everyone. If you are a blood type O it really isn't good for you. But I think a type A or B its fine--though not to excess! I am a type O plus have weak kidneys so I have no business eating chocolate.

Hope this helps!

Bea

Join eNewsletter

wow, aloe helps with the skin? what does it do?

i need anything that will keep me going to the bathroom everyday. i cant go and i need to be able to go.

Hey listen, could you tell me some good sources of info about celiac awareness that developed in the UK etc. ? In other words what was done to increase public awareness. We are trying to do something like that here in the states but haven't had a lot of success so far esp. with the medical establishment though also with the public in general. So I thought maybe looking to what you guys did might help.

Bea

Join eNewsletter

It is what makes so many celiacs crave chocolate since chocolate has lots of magnesium. However chocolate also has caffeine and isn't actually so great for everyone. If you are a blood type O it really isn't good for you. But I think a type A or B its fine--though not to excess! I am a type O plus have weak kidneys so I have no business eating chocolate.

Ok, I am newbie...what is the deal with different foods for different blood types...I am O positive...I love chocolate...why in the world is it no good for my blood type? Then again, I am not really sure I want the answer to this question!

Join eNewsletter

Ok, I am newbie...what is the deal with different foods for different blood types...I am O positive...I love chocolate...why in the world is it no good for my blood type? Then again, I am not really sure I want the answer to this question!

There's a book called eat right 4 your blood type, and it's got quite a following. I personally don't agree with alot of what the author says, and I don't think he's done enough research nutritionally speaking. He recommends a lot of things (for certain bloodtypes) that I have learned just aren't good for anyone. And vice versa. It's an interesting read though.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter