This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Avid Gardener Wondering Is There Anything To Watch For Gardening With Gluten?

toomuchagony

toomuchagony Apprentice

Hi Again Good Folks!

Firstly, I want to just apologize if I have posted this into the WRONG category... could not figure which it would best fit under myself so must rely on the experts on this forum to MOVE if necessary, sorry...

I am extremely concerned about whether there is ANYTHING at all which I would need to be careful of in doing my "gardening"? It happens we have several "vegie & flower" gardens on our property and I spend basically my entire spring, summer and fall outside working in those gardens. Off the top of my head (which is disbaled due to my current BRAIN FOG as well currently eh ;) I can't think of anything, BUT gee whiz since I KNOW NOTHING still about "avoiding hidden glutens"... or heck obvious ones too, I thought maybe it would be worth while to ask here and see what ya'all have to say on the subject to see.

Thanks, for any input in advance... AND to any moderator who has to be bothered moving this if needed!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flourgirl Apprentice

Hi! Good to meet a fellow garden lover! Flowers (annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, any kind of flowers) are a passion of mine. I'm happiest when I'm playing in the dirt :P !!! As far as I know, there is no gluten worries to be found in plants, flowers, dirt, soil ammending products. I don't know for sure about pesticides and fertilizers, but I would be very surprised, as you want to kill bugs, not feed them, and I know of no plants that thrive on wheat proteins. I use less and less commercially produced chemicals, anyway and try for natural approaches.

What do you like to grow? Once again, we've moved and I'm starting all over again with new gardens. It was much harder to leave my old gardens than it was to leave the house behind! I'm hoping to have more energy soon, so that I can enjoy this. Sometimes even this can feel like a chore! Hopefully you will feel much better soon! Good luck with the diet and with healing!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI fellow gardeners

I also love to garden.

I live in PA in zone 6.

I don't know of any precautions but i did get a splinter that led to cellulites that led to lympedemea. I have to be very careful with any nicks in the skin now. I just always use the $ store simple cellophane gloves under my gardening gloves.

there used to be a 'canning' thread here last year that was wonderful. lots of info and tips.

Do anyone of you have your gardens certified by the NWF as a Backyard Habitat? It's really easy.

will try to find those links.

Judy

holiday16 Enthusiast

Can't think of any specific product, but I would just read all labels. My sister called telling me about this great organic product for getting rid of weeds and then she said,"Oh, but I guess you can't use it because it has wheat." So I know there are products out there with wheat in.

Some people mentioned a while back about using straw to bed strawberries and being a potential problem. I do that in my garden, but never had any issues. I am careful about not breathing it in when I put it down, but that's partly because of mold too.

I'll be interested to see what this thread has to say on the topic.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Some people mentioned a while back about using straw to bed strawberries and being a potential problem. I do that in my garden, but never had any issues. I am careful about not breathing it in when I put it down, but that's partly because of mold too.

I'll be interested to see what this thread has to say on the topic.

I heard this too and spreading mulch really sets my allergies off. The mold for me is bad too.

Grass clipping from the yard could be a good alternative.

i try to be as organic as i can. For roses, other aphids etc, i use a squirt bottle with some water, dish washing liquid and hot Tabasco sauce. This year I'm adding seeds of the (halipino or habanaro sp?)peppers. I can't eat them but hubby does.

Also with slugs........crushed egg shells and those pods from the sweet gum trees that are round and sharp are great around the base of the hostas etc esp. in Aug as they start looking funky.

i hope this thread takes off. Would love to discuss things other than just our 'tummies'

Judy

missy'smom Collaborator
Also with slugs........crushed egg shells and those pods from the sweet gum trees that are round and sharp are great around the base of the hostas etc esp. in Aug as they start looking funky.

i hope this thread takes off. Would love to discuss things other than just our 'tummies'

Judy

Me too. I'll have to remember the egg shells. My hostas weren't looking too good last year and I wondered whether or not it was a slug problem. They were also getting brown around the edges. Maybe not getting enough water. They are in the shade but around the foundation of the house.

I just spent the afternoon cleaning up the space on the side of the house. Trasplanted daylillies that had gotten too far out of bounds and raked up the last of the fall leaves in that section. It's tiring but a good kind of tired and plus I'm getting my vitamin D right?

What are you all up to in the garden?

I planted some cilantro seeds in a container so I can live on salsa all summer. Yum! I plan to add alot of other herbs. A rosemary tree is on my wish list, just have to figure out where to put it, same for strawberries. We have a bunny in the neighborhood so I may have to plant extra! I have a friend that will give me cherry tomato plants as she did last year so we'll be up to our ears in cherry tomatoes well into fall and I'd like to try growing zucchini.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Me too. I'll have to remember the egg shells. My hostas weren't looking too good last year and I wondered whether or not it was a slug problem. They were also getting brown around the edges.

I think that they just do that in the heat of August. I usually cut them off when they get disgusting.

I'm just still cleaning up from the fall and branches falling down all the time. Basic clean up and must get to pruning back all my butterfly bushes. Love those.

We've had good luck with freezing our cherry tomatoes and peppers to enjoy in the winter. Still have some. I just freeze on a cookie sheet and bag up in zip locks. The green peppers I chop up and freeze the same and bag up.

My daffs, are all up and so many pretty kinds this year. Tulips not up yet and the hostas are just up about 2". Guess it all depends on where we live right?

keep getting those hands dirty.

Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

We spent the weekend planting peas, carrots (3 varieties, including rainbow), sunflowers, spinach, lettuce (2 varieties) marigolds (3 varieties) and chives. When it warms up a bit, we will plant beans, basil and pumpkins. I started my tomatoes from seed this weekend, which is a little bit late, but we

toomuchagony Apprentice

Well Howdy & Thanks to ALL ya fellow Earthy types eh!! :D

So gee, now I am really glad that I started this thread, (though I am wondering that if we should persist in our "gardening conversations" now whether or not the thread would technically be better suited for the "users chatting category"? Perhaps, one of you 'advanced' community members or forum moderators can give me an indication if perhaps I should go ahead and "re-post this thread there" instead, or maybe now it should be moved, or well heck what ever as I a'course don't know huh ;)

For now though, I would like to add these comments to the discussion going on here...

Firstly, to Judyin Philly, regards yer enquiry about "Certified Backyard Habitat"... well gee YES as a matter of fact the gardens of this property are a Canadian Wildlife Federation Certified Backyard Habitat!

As such, I actually am required to "use ONLY natural pest & weed techniques & methods & products". I'm now accustomed to the "natural approach" to dealing with my gardens, both flower/shrub/tree & vegie. I actually have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge regards this natural approach now, and I would be very happy to "share" that info with anyone interested. That said though, I am strapped for time just now, and I think I should wait until is figured out exactly what should happen regard this thread category.

And lastly for now, to Flourgirl... well gee I have in fact over 275 different perennials, vines, shrubs, and herbs making a home on this property now. Later when I have more time I will share some of the details with ya about them. Many of these are "Canadian (British Columbia) Endangered Species" plants and are very interesting and beautiful. Anyhoo though, I must dash for this time. Talk to ya ll again soon eh :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

toomuchagony

wow allot of info you can share.

I'd love to know your environmentally friendly ways of dealing with bugs, wilt ect.

It's fun the have the sign in your yard and it has encouraged allot of kids to get their folks to try for it.

Maybe we can share some seeds too.............yahooo............. :rolleyes::lol:

Judy

Di-gfree Apprentice

I love gardening, too; and have been taking a stab at spring clean-up this week. I feel I run on empty, though, and nowadays, I don't have the stamina I used to; plus, I'm sore all over even more than ever. Also, the bending over is a problem for me (anyone else?). (Hate to sound like I'm complaining, but that's the way it is for some people with celiac, I guess.) But, gardening is the one thing that gets my mind off things, so I keep at it.

I have a problem with molds, too; and dust. (eek) Hard to believe I enjoy gardening so much! lol

I garden organically, so a natural gardening tip: if you have earwigs, spray them with dish soap and water, it kills them instantly. (Not that I like killing things.) I also spray aphids w/soapy water.

toomuchagony Apprentice
toomuchagony

wow allot of info you can share.

I'd love to know your environmentally friendly ways of dealing with bugs, wilt ect.

It's fun the have the sign in your yard and it has encouraged allot of kids to get their folks to try for it.

Maybe we can share some seeds too.............yahooo............. :rolleyes::lol:

Judy

Hey again Judyin Philly ;)

I am just here on a wee break from my BUSY day here... BUT just wanted to give ya a heads up of sorts now... I will absolutely (the Lord and my D willing that is eh :rolleyes: post ya a nice "list of natural remedies" for ALL SORTS of garden problems okay, I hope later this evening, but if not able then on the morrow for sure. For now, I would agree with Di_gfree regards her "soap solution" for aphids, though I have not utilized that for "earwigs" myself, I use another "natural remedy recipe" for those, which I'll be sure to include in my later post as well, along with a sure fire fix for WILT.

As for the "seeds" well sheeeeshh YA SURE.... I'd LOVE to trade ya what ever! Happens I have a TON of them taking up all the little bit of room my tiny apt. size fridge freezer offers me for storage in fall :lol: Perhaps ya can share with me "what sort of seeds ya have yerself & what kinds ya might like to have from me as a starting point"?

Meanwhile, too sad to say... I must get back to the grind of work for now here. :(

Ridgewalker Contributor

YAY on a gardening thread! I do veggies and a few flowers.

I had intended to start tomatoes and peppers from seed, but too sick and never got around to it. It's a bit late to start them now here (NC, zone 7) Bah. Will buy some plants, as they'll be ready to put in the ground in just a couple more weeks. Missed our time to plant onion sets, too, darn it-- they did really good last year.

I'll probably direct seed zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, yellow squash to help the zucchini along, and I might try corn this year (for the first time.)

We also have thousands and thousands of wild blackberry canes growing at the end of our property near the creek. Come 4th of July, I'm freezing berries like crazy!

We had a horrible year for squash bugs last year, all around our area. They decimated my squash, zuccini, cukes, and my dad's pumpkins. :angry: I know what the eggs look like now... I'm gonna get those buggers.

For flowers, I've got 3 or 4 types of tall day lillies, plus some Stella D'Oro's that are coming up incredibly thick this year. Daffodils have already come and gone for us. I have 4 types of irises, and 5 types of gladiolus. I also have some pretty pink dianthus. 4 colors of azalea... My grape hyacinth (this may be a regional name, not sure) is blooming a gorgeous rich purple.

I tried starting a couple types of ajuga as ground cover last year, but the drought killed it... I don't think it's coming back, although I keep checking it! The drought also killed off all my moss phlox, which about made me cry, I had 4 colors of that. I had split a small white azalea into 4 plants that had been thriving in buckets, but... yeah the drought got them too, along with ALL my outdoor potted plants. Even watering them twice a day, we had two weeks of 105 degree weather. :( Just too hot. If it gets like that again this year, everything will go under the deck!

Right now, I'm focusing on feeling better, because I have a ton of work to do... big planting time starts here very soon!!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

wish i knew how to do a multiple quote posting........... :ph34r:

Di_gfree Posted Today, 06:37 PM

1. Also, the bending over is a problem for me (anyone else?).

Well............i can bend over but not get on my knees. I use a cane to help be balance but what i love is a cheap yard sale plastic small bench and straddle it like a horse and weed and plant that way.

2. But, gardening is the one thing that gets my mind off things, so I keep at it. DITTO

3.I garden organically, so a natural gardening tip: if you have earwigs, spray them with dish soap and water, it kills them instantly. (Not that I like killing things.) I also spray aphids w/soapy water.

I didn't know this about earwigs. yahoo.

Hey again Judyin Philly ;)

1. I use another "natural remedy recipe" for those, which I'll be sure to include in my later post as well, along with a sure fire fix for WILT.

Great i can't wait.............

2. As for the "seeds" well sheeeeshh YA SURE.... I'd LOVE to trade ya what ever! Happens I have a TON of them taking up all the little bit of room my tiny apt. size fridge freezer offers me for storage in fall :lol: Perhaps ya can share with me "what sort of seeds ya have yerself & what kinds ya might like to have from me as a starting point"?

I'll go and take a look. Bringing another friend to this thread as she and I have traded seeds and even some plants through the mail.......... this is going to be such fun.

Evie..........if your out there you can email me and I'll post for you since you can't seem to post.

Can you PM Scott and get a new password. I had to do that once.

About moving this thread to a 'chat' position.........i'm just not sure how a moderator would do it.

but we did want things that are safe for us gluten and other allergy wise.

Judy

missy'smom Collaborator

That makes two of us! Yup, August is about when the hostas started looking bad. We bought the house last summer so I'm still getting to know the yard and plants that were here.

I have what I think is liriope under a pine tree that looks aweful. The ends of the grass like leaves are browned and it has been bug-eaten. I've tried to get in there and pullout all the dead, dying stuff and other debris to get some air circulation somewhat like I do with the daylillies but they are pretty dense and much harder to clean up. Any advice?

As for the location of this thread, it's in the coping section right now and gardening/yard work is a good coping skill wouldn't you say! It provides us with safe food and keeps our minds off things as has been mentioned.

nmw Newbie

I use corn gluten fertilizer on my lawn and it contains....wheat!!! Sheesh.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Sara..........so good to see you

wow you are a gardner.

Patti found the canning thread for us.

Open Original Shared Link

I haven't ck'd it out yet this year but i now there were great tips and even some people doing quilting..evie and Jen van were i know.

have to get to bed sorry i missed your long post Sara..i was probably looking at puppies in 'tickle' thread. :lol::lol:

will catch up on reading in the am.

nite all

holiday16 Enthusiast

My mother mentioned that about the sweet gum too. I've never had a problem with slugs though. I almost wish I did so I could use all those sweet gum pods. We have about 8 trees lining our drive that are sweet gum. They never decompose and it got so bad I finally bribed the kids with video game time to start picking them up. We've gotten at least a really large garbage bag full so far and there are still more out there. I asked around before we threw them away to see if anyone wanted to use them on their hostas, but no takers.

I assume from your name you're in Philadelphia? My best friend was in school there for a while and her brother was a priest at a church there. They both really liked it alot.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

That makes two of us!

You see how the bottom of each message in the thread there are 2 buttons - one says reply and one says quote? If you click the reply button, you will just reply to the one you clicked on. If you click the quote one, it won't pop up another window, but will change color. Do this to as many of the comments in the thread as you want. Then click the reply button at the very bottom. When the reply window pops up, it will contain the text of all the ones you clicked on. Then just snip out what you don't want and reply away!

WW340 Rookie

Hello fellow gardeners. I am zone 6, NW arkansas.

This is the first year in about 3 years that I felt well enough to garden. I just cleaned out and filled the raised veggie beds 2 weeks ago. I usually start my heirloom tomato plants from seeds, but did not do that this year. I will just have to buy some locally. Shingles have temporarily interrupted my gardening efforts, but hopefully that won't be for long.

We like canning also, so I am glad to hear we have a canning thread.

I usually grow tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, sweet corn, asparagas, parsly, basil, onions, and peppers. I also grow all kinds of flowers and shrubs. I love peonies and irises.

I had thought about the issue with straw, I used to use it, but will probably pass now.

Before I got sick, I used to spend all my time on the HGTV gardening boards. Now I am here, lol.

missy'smom Collaborator
We also have thousands and thousands of wild blackberry canes growing at the end of our property near the creek. Come 4th of July, I'm freezing berries like crazy!

( Just too hot. If it gets like that again this year, everything will go under the deck!

Lucky you with all those blackberries! I'd love to have a blueberry bush or some raspberry canes but I have to pace myself and develop my garden step by step and figure out where to put everything. That's a good idea to put containers under the deck. I'll remember that tip.

You see how the bottom of each message in the thread there are 2 buttons - one says reply and one says quote? If you click the reply button, you will just reply to the one you clicked on. If you click the quote one, it won't pop up another window, but will change color. Do this to as many of the comments in the thread as you want. Then click the reply button at the very bottom. When the reply window pops up, it will contain the text of all the ones you clicked on. Then just snip out what you don't want and reply away!

I think I got it! Thanks!

flourgirl Apprentice

I know what you mean about bending, and getting tired and achy. Was a time not so long ago that I could work for hours, work all day. Matter of fact, until a year ago, when I wasn't on the job, I was helping my dad put in hay bales. I love to be busy! Now I get so disgusted...I work an hour and I have to stop. On a good day I'll get a couple of hours. When I'm really focused and want to keep going...I push...with lots of "breaks", but I pay for it for days! I WANT MY OLD MUSCLY BODY BACK :( !

I started digging out a pond in the backyard last fall. I'm still working on it! Can't wait for it to be done so I can plant around it...pretty soon. I've started lots of perennial plants from seed that I've been saving...not as good germination as I'd like...but probably more plants than I have energy to put in the ground.

A good slug bait is to put a tuna can (empty, of course) into the ground so the lip is about ground level. Put some beer in it. The beer attracts the slugs, they can't get out and drown. What a way to go! I use the soapy water to get lots of other buggers.

If anyone is sharing seeds, I'm game! Happy gardening everyone!

Oh, this thread is fine to run right here. If you click on view new posts, you get all of the recent posts, without having to slog through all of the old ones. :)

evie Rookie

Di_gfree Posted Today, 06:37 PM

1. Also, the bending over is a problem for me (anyone else?).

Well............i can bend over but not get on my knees. I use a cane to help be balance but what i love is a cheap yard sale plastic small bench and straddle it like a horse and weed and plant that way.

2. But, gardening is the one thing that gets my mind off things, so I keep at it. DITTO

3.I garden organically, so a natural gardening tip: if you have earwigs, spray them with dish soap and water, it kills them instantly. (Not that I like killing things.) I also spray aphids w/soapy water.

I didn't know this about earwigs. yahoo.

I can post today!! :huh::rolleyes: So glad a gardening thread has been started,

right up my alley and thanks Judy for letting me know about it!!! We had rain all day tuesday and monday night too so our tilled garden is VERY wet. I did plant 3 feet each of radish and lettuce a few days ago but it may be so pounded down will never some up.

Yes, it is so good when we can grow our own veggies and etc and know what is on..in them, safer and is such good therapy for the not so well person. I am looking forward to hearing all your many ideas!!! We should get some sun today, yippee to that. Later and love to all, evie

I'll go and take a look. Bringing another friend to this thread as she and I have traded seeds and even some plants through the mail.......... this is going to be such fun.

Evie..........if your out there you can email me and I'll post for you since you can't seem to post.

Can you PM Scott and get a new password. I had to do that once.

About moving this thread to a 'chat' position.........i'm just not sure how a moderator would do it.

but we did want things that are safe for us gluten and other allergy wise.

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I tried to hit 3 'quotes' and then on the 4th hit 'quote reply' and i got this blank screen. :ph34r:

i don't know why i can't do this

no time to write now....but

hi Evie. :D Did you post anything? I see your photo

can you do a post with words yet?

gracious.............

what up with us?

Ridgewalker Contributor

Hey you guys... thought I'd share one of my favorite gardening websites-- Kitchen Gardeners International. Click Open Original Shared Link.

There's articles about veggie and fruit gardening, recipes, and links to gardening blogs... it's really cool.

Archived