This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Avid Gardener Wondering Is There Anything To Watch For Gardening With Gluten?

toomuchagony

missy'smom Collaborator
Also I eventually broke down and bought a.... darn I can't think of the name of it... the one I bought was a good one from Italy... you put the tomatoes in the top and turn the handle and it separates the skins from the pulp of the tomatoes. You then freeze that separated "sauce". It was expensive but when you grow a gazillion tomatoes, well worth it.

Susan

That sounds like grandma's Foley Food Mill. She used it for applesauce. Just boiled the apples skins, seeds and all and put them through it. Hers was very affordable and they still sell them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yellow Rose Explorer
I use corn gluten fertilizer on my lawn and it contains....wheat!!! Sheesh.

Did any one read the post on gluten and breast milk? Seems that gluten is being found in breast milk. I am wondering if our bodies are excreating the gluten protein what are the plants doing when being fed fertilizer with wheat in it. I am going to ask my DD who is a microbiologist about this.

I asked around before we threw them away to see if anyone wanted to use them

I used to have a friend who used them for crafts. She spray painted them black glued eyes on them and put pipe cleaners for legs and an elastic string on them. They made the cutest spiders. She sold them at craft shows for a buck a piece. The kids loved them.

I read in a magazine last month (either BHG or real simple) that you can also use the "egg-water" when you hard boil eggs, just let it cool, and dump it out in the garden, and I guess it has calcium or some such nutrient plants like.

I do that with my house plants and they thrive on it.

A couple people have mentioned freezing tomatoes. I wish I had known you could do that last year when I was up to my ears in them! What's the best way to do this? Do you have to peel them or anything?

I also put them in boiling water for a minute and slip off the skins, dry them and pop them in ziplock bags. I also make my own flavored kinds as well. For itilian I add basil or itilaian seasoning and a pinch of sugar, mexican add cumin, salt, peppers and onions or you can just add the cumin and salt and put the peppers and onion in when you cook. I put in 2 cups of tomatoes to a bag. I like adding the herbs in with the tomatoes as it give them time to meld.

Yellow Rose

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Thanks for the help :) I just planted my tomatoes yesterday. Planning on doing some serious salsa/sauce making and freezing, possibly canning if I can put up with my grandma for an afternoon or two, so I planted 6!!! Whew!

Anyone ever tried growing their tomatoes as "hanging plants"? Read an article about it last summer, and dying to try!

CaraLouise Explorer

Just planted 4 tomato plants and 12 pepper plants, plus I'm trying something new! Wildflowers! Anybody ever had any experience growing them from seeds! I am excited.

toomuchagony Apprentice

Howdy One & All :D

Well sheeesh eh... I have been so completely swamped with tasks here lately that I haven't had much chance to get any where near my gardens, (AND da fact is we in BC's "lower mainland/fraser valley" are experiencing EXTREMELY unseasonable COLD weather, like even snow for pity sakes in April :o So gee whiz eh, reading all yer posts about all yer "plantings" has definetly turned me here GREEN wit envy :lol:

Oh well... certainly, our turn does have to come eventually huh ;) (Jist hoping/praying is soon!) Anyhoo though in the meantime... I have been mulling over the prospects of "trading seeds" with others on this forum as was discussed earlier. While I absolutely relish the idea of doing so, I gotta admit it has struck me now, "exactly how do we do that"? I'm wondering because of course, given "general internet safety" and "online prudence", I don't think it is either wise or recommended to "post one's actual contact info" so that EVERYONE in the entire whole dang world can "read/obtain" it besides the individual/s intended? Least anyhoo, I myself really would not be comfortable or inclined to disclose my actual address online. What about you Judyin Philly... were ya just gonna post me yer address to send ya the seeds at, or? :huh:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I have been mulling over the prospects of "trading seeds" with others on this forum as was discussed earlier. While I absolutely relish the idea of doing so, I gotta admit it has struck me now, "exactly how do we do that"? I'm wondering because of course, given "general internet safety" and "online prudence", I don't think it is either wise or recommended to "post one's actual contact info" so that EVERYONE in the entire whole dang world can "read/obtain" it besides the individual/s intended? Least anyhoo, I myself really would not be comfortable or inclined to disclose my actual address online. What about you Judyin Philly... were ya just gonna post me yer address to send ya the seeds at, or? :huh:

I think my email is open on here if you go my profile.

I think i forgot to take it off once.

Since we have personal messaging options on here we could send our emails that way.

it would be secure and only you and I would see it.

I've just been so busy in the garden i haven't even been on line much.

I'm open to it though.

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

toomuchagony

Just sent you a PM.

Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Yellow Rose Explorer

Help!! My container garden is flopping. Everything came up but doesn't seem to be growing. In the last month they are tiny just seedlings really. These are the tomatoes and the herbs. Don't know what I am doing wrong. The peas came up great, got about 2-3 feet tall, flowered and then turned yellow and are dying and have little holes in them. The green beans look ok and are getting bigger but the cukes are also turning yellow. I am not watering too much or too little am wondering if the dirt I got is no good and need to fertilize. What do ya'll think. I have never had a problem with growing before.

Yellow Rose

• 2 weeks later...
Yellow Rose Explorer

I gave up on my seedlings and ripped them out and started over with transplants and miricle grow.

Yellow Rose

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I gave up on my seedlings and ripped them out and started over with transplants and miricle grow.

Yellow Rose

I'm so sorry to hear about your first container problems and now this.

i wish i could help.

We used to always start with seeds but now just get the plants

i haven't been on here much as i'm trying to keep up with me GOUT WEED WEEDING' AND TRYIN TO FIND DAYS TO GET OUT WHEN IT ISNT' RAINING.............LORDY IT'S RAINING AGAIN HERE BUT WORKED IN THE RAIN THIS AM

GOOD LUCK. MAYBE YOU CAN GET SOME TIPS FROM A BETTER GARDNER THAN I AM.

JUDY

• 2 months later...
missy'smom Collaborator

How grows your garden?

I just went out today to check mine and found a tomato on the ground with a big chunk out of it and what looks like claw marks. :angry: It was one of two that JUST started to turn color. I've been waiting for weeks! It's the second one I've lost and it seems like such a loss. I'm assuming it was a squirrel and there's not much I can do I guess. I've been watching them grow for so long. A friend gave me 4 big boy? or better boy? plants and this is my first time with regular tomatoes. Mine are almost 6 feet tall now and heavy with huge fruit.

I have alot of shiso and feel it's such a waste of such a good herb. I want to eat it all but not sure how to use it much. We've had it in hand rolled sushi and may use some in tempura. Both very yummy but not everyday food.

My husband is lazy about mowing the lawn but the birds and bunnies are quite happy with that. Bunny ate the first two zucchini flowers off so I put a makeshift fence around the-dog and bird cage- but have to figure something else out when the plants get a little bigger.

Archived