This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update Family Gp Says Stay gluten-free Its Helping :)

Ivanna44

Ivanna44 Apprentice

Hi all,

I saw my doctor today for a follow up appointment. Being one month now gluten-free other than not really counting those beginning days, and days were accidently gluttening happened :(

Anyhow I discussed and showed her the results in my food log diary, in terms of what happens if I ingest gluten. She said, she could send me off to a gasterologist, but in her opinion, they'd say the same thing >go on the gluten-free diet. In her opinion I have it, gluten intolerance. She reshowed me the blood test works and the gluten sensitivity IGA one was up a bit. which is what alerted her the first time. She could tell by our discussion, food logs, and symptons I went through when I did ingest gluten, that it was definately a problem and affected my well being. She said I should remain on the gluten-free diet. I tired to explain to her, that when I try telling my husband that it is in everything including things like cosmetics, he tends to roll his eyes, thinking I'm nuts. I try to explain to him that we touch our face and then put our hands near our mouth, or eat something and we can get trace gluten. My doctor agreed with me, she said, yes if you do ingest even a trace of gluten, based on your food diary reports, that you could get very ill from it. So it seems that my doctor believes I am gluten intolerant by my word alone. She said you know your body, and you are a wise woman with your researching etc. It clearly shows here, that gluten has been messing up your health. Remain gluten free.

I just need to figure out how to say to my husband; whom is stubborn that way :rolleyes: that I need to get rid of ALL traces of gluten that I ingest or use on my body, such as lotions so on. (he'll be a tuff sale, that way... but to him you can eat anything >and not read the label.. just assume its ok ) (big time rolling my eyes :rolleyes: )

As my doctor said, beef up the gluten search, look for it in unaware places now like the lotions so on. She wants me to remain gluten free for at least another 2 months. After that time, she wants to redo the blood work tests, and see if there are any more positive changes. If some counts go down, than its a full indicator that gluten was causing these adnormalities in the blood work results.

I phewwwwwww after knowing she did not want to send me off to the gasterologist. As they'd say same thing. Go gluten-free . As I know from postings here, I've read, that one must go back to the "gluten" foods, for more accure results when testing resumes again . You have to make yourself sick by eating gluten, to prove gluten is the cause of it all. :(

Anyhow just wanted to update all you members that have responsed to posts I've made in past. Thank you for your experience in answering my many (and no doubt more to come) questions :) .... Also, thank you so much just for being so supportive. Going gluten-free is hard, its a major lifestyle change with tons of questions. Thank you again for being there.

hugs :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
I just need to figure out how to say to my husband; whom is stubborn that way :rolleyes: that I need to get rid of ALL traces of gluten that I ingest or use on my body, such as lotions so on. (he'll be a tuff sale, that way... but to him you can eat anything >and not read the label.. just assume its ok ) (big time rolling my eyes :rolleyes: )

hugs :)

How about having the doctor INSIST that you husband come to the next appointment?

As much as it churns my stomach when men don't listen to their wives but readily except the exact same info from a near or total stranger (and my husband is on that list! :angry: ) you husband may be more receptive to what you have been saying all along if the words are coming out of the doctor's mouth instead of yours.

Hope it goes well! :)

jerseyangel Proficient
As much as it churns my stomach when men don't listen to their wives but readily except the exact same info from a near or total stranger (and my husband is on that list! :angry: ) you husband may be more receptive to what you have been saying all along if the words are coming out of the doctor's mouth instead of yours.

Yes, I agree and was going to sugest the same thing. I'll bet your husband will change his tune when he hears the doctor say that you need to be gluten-free and very viligent.

So happy you have a sensible doctor who listens and gives you credit for having a brain--she's a keeper :D

Archived