Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

Question About Hair/beauty Products

i do not have the skin reaction to gluten like some people do, however I am concerned about the beauty products I use because almost all of them contain some wheat protein in the middle of the ingredient list. Now, as I was showering yesterday i was wondering...I'm washing my hair with this...what if a drip accidentally falls by my lip or in my mouth, and what about when I rinse my hair, the residue goes on my face sometimes. Also, my face wash/face creams touch my lips somehow or another. My lipstick I'm very unsure about. I use mostly Chanel gloss and lipstick. If I get a little bit inside my mouth when I eat/drink or just from licking my lips, am I contaminating myself if it does contain gluten? Or does that not apply to products like this unless you have the the DH skin disease? Thank you in advance for all your comments! =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I think you'll be happiest in the end if you call about all of the bath and cosmetic products you use. I am sure you could wash your hair differently and ensure that nothing drips on your face, but I would wonder about the residues on your hands. You do "eat" your lipstick, so I think that has to be gluten-free. I would also make sure your toothpaste, mouthwash, etc are gluten-free. I do react topically to gluten, I assume I have an allergy to wheat on top of Celiacs. I make sure all of my bath products are gluten-free like hair products, soaps, etc . (Suave, Panteen, and Dove) You can search this site and find lists of products that other people have already verified. Otheriwse, take a little time and call all of the manufacturers of the products you use daily. At least that way you will know where you are starting the diet (i.e., what products to suspect when you get glutened) and can make desicions as you go along.

Good luck

Chanel lipstick is gluten free-- if you pan down this forum, you can see I posted an response from them pretty recently. I did not, however, ask about the lipgloss. They answered me back pretty fast, though. Could you please tell us what they say?

This is what Chanel responded with:

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your patience while we researched your inquiry.

I am pleased to inform you that all CHANEL lipstick formulations are

gluten-free. In additional our Research & Development Department can

confirm that the products listed below do not contain gluten.

Beaute Initiale Cream- item #: 142156

Beaute Initiale Fluid- item #: 142136

Gommage Microperle Purete- item#: 166690

CHANEL is a company that prides itself on providing superior quality

products and exemplary service. We value you as a customer and want you

to be satisfied with your CHANEL experience.

If you have any further questions, I encourage you to visit a CHANEL

counter or to call 1-800-550-0005. Thank you for your continued interest

in CHANEL.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Consumer Relations

CHANEL, Inc.