This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suggestions

glowfox

glowfox Newbie

Howdy all,

I am a 21 year old college student with Celiac, and I am going to be moving out of the house in about a month. I know a few good recipes, and even came up with some of my own. What I was wondering is if anyone had any recipes for me that would work for just me and a roommate to have. Small things that are quick, easy, and above all tasty. :) Oh, and also as cheap as possible. My roommate is not a Celiac, but she has been with me for three years eating basically gluten-free with me. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much!

-Glow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

What kind of appliances will you have available? Will you have a reg. size fridge and freezer?

RiceGuy Collaborator

As missy'smom indicated, it would be helpful to know what sort of things you'll have available for preparing meals. I have found a blender to be one of my most valuable tools for making all sorts of meals.

njbeachbum Explorer

hey glow....

i typically work very long hours and have a long commute home from work, so i'm always looking for something quick to make for dinner. i like to make big batches of white rice to leave in the fridge to add to meals at any time (minute rice in the microwave is cheap, fast and easy).

one of my favorite quick meals requires 3 ingredients...... perdue short cuts chicken or turkey, birds eye steamfresh vegetables (microwave steamer pack), gluten free soy sauce.

you can have a stir fry in less than 10 minutes, then add some rice and you're good to go. i brown the chicken lightly in some canola oil in a pan, then add soy sauce and mix it up. veggies take 5 mins in the microwave to go from frozen to steamed perfection. add veggies to pan, some more soy sauce, and mix it up. and you're done.

one package of short cuts and veggies usually makes two servings for me (depending on how hungry i am... maybe one dinner and a medium sized lunch).

hope that helps :)

glowfox Newbie

I have the standard appliances in the kitchen: regular fridge/freezer, microwave, stove, oven, toaster...all the pots and pans you could imagine. Mom wanted new ones so she unloaded all the old ones on me haha.

I can get a hold of any sort of flours that I need to. The wegman's here is great with their Gluten-free section.

I love the stir fry idea. Thanks for that! It'll be great because I'll be working over 40 hours a week and commuting to each job a bit. :) It's perfect.

missy'smom Collaborator

You can make and freeze so many things. Cook once-eat twice(or more). You can do it without having to confine yourself to the kitchen! Make individual sizes/portions and pull out as much or many as needed. A standard meatloaf can be split into two or more smaller loaves, bake them all and eat one for that night, the others go into the freezer for a quick meal on a busier night. The smaller the loaves the shorter the baking time. You don't have to make them in a loaf pan, you can shape them by hand and bake them in any pan that will fit them, even more than one in a pan. It's just two of us for dinner most nights at my house and this is how we live. You can roast the bone-in chicken breasts, with or without the skin on. Put some oil-plain or olive, season with salt, pepper, dried herbs or other spice blend, put some baby potatoes in the same pan and oil and season them too and roast on a high heat for around 20 min. Add a salad or another veg. for a meal. If you roast an extra breast or two, you can break up the meat for use on a salad for lunch the next day or in another other dish. I use leftover chicken in soup and broccoli rice casserole.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Howdy all,

I am a 21 year old college student with Celiac, and I am going to be moving out of the house in about a month. I know a few good recipes, and even came up with some of my own. What I was wondering is if anyone had any recipes for me that would work for just me and a roommate to have. Small things that are quick, easy, and above all tasty. :) Oh, and also as cheap as possible. My roommate is not a Celiac, but she has been with me for three years eating basically gluten-free with me. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much!

-Glow

Hi 'glowfox',

This is really quick, more of a lunch thing though.

Portion of rice noodles (Angel Hair, Pad Thai) cover with boiling water, allow to stand for 4 - 5 mins

drain and stir in some Pesto sauce, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top and

your ready to go. Enjoy!

Best Regards,

David

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mmcdaniels Apprentice

How about some crock-pot soups and other dishes? Just toss it in the morning and it will be ready when you get home and don't feel like cooking. I like mine for soups, stews, pork chops, roasts, etc. A lot of crock-pot recipes are naturally gluten-free and many others can be easily adapted.

amybeth Enthusiast

Turkey and Spinach Burgers....

(makes four substantial burgers)

1lb ground turkey (often on sale buy one get one in my area...and freezes well)

1cup frozen chopped turkey, thawed (or fresh)

2T goat cheese (I approximate this...it could also be left out or substituted)

1t minced garlic

combine ingred. and broil in oven 10 minutes

Sometimes I add a little worcestershire for taste.

serve over rice or with potatoes or veg.

Wegmans has a great salad dressing (Roasted Red Pepper and Curry - that is gluten-free) - for a quick meal, I chop some veggies and dip...YUM! (could easily be eaten on the commute too and it's filling!)

Baked potatoes topped with Birds Eye Steam In the Bag Broccoli and cheese

Five cup salad: 1 cup each of.....sour cream, marshmallows, crushed pineapple (drained), mandarin oranges (drained) and shredded coconut.....chilled

Tuna salad topped with pineapple and melted cheese...sounds gross but it's yummy

amybeth Enthusiast

1t minced garlic

Wegmans has a great salad dressing (Roasted Red Pepper and Curry - that is gluten-free) - for a quick meal, I chop some veggies and dip...YUM! (could easily be eaten on the commute too and it's filling!)

Five cup salad: 1 cup each of.....sour cream, marshmallows, crushed pineapple (drained), mandarin oranges (drained) and shredded coconut.....chilled

Tuna salad topped with pineapple and melted cheese...sounds gross but it's yummy

amybeth Enthusiast

1t minced garlic

amybeth Enthusiast

1t minced garlic

tarnalberry Community Regular

most of the recipes on my thread are pretty easy, and good for two, with leftovers for lunch. ;) (it's just my husband and I in our house.)

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
purple Community Regular

Try layered bean dip. One can refried beans mixed with 1 or 2 tablespoons of McCormick taco seasoning...spread in a pie plate or 8 inch dish. Top with any amounts of the following: Salsa, sour cream, guacamole(avocado mashed with juice from 1/2 lime and some garlic seasoning or Mrs. Dash), Shredded cheese, olives, green onions, jalepeno, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Just adjust to your favorites. Put yours on 1/2 and hers on the other 1/2 if your taste buds diff. Chill beans ahead of time if desired. Serve with Santitas tortilla chips (cheap). All you need is a can opener,a fork to mash the avocado, sharp knife, spoon, dish and a paper plate or cutting board from the dollar store. You get protein and fresh veggies. Fun to eat and appetizing to look at... did I mention easy and fast.

Archived