Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KimmyJ

Bone Pain And Stiffness

I'm very young to be asking a question about this, but I'm finding that I am having a lot of stiffness and, more recently, have developed some pain in the bones of my legs. I'm a little concerned about possibly a Calcium deficiency. The bone density scan is one that I have not had yet, but I was wondering if these could be symptoms of something other than osteoporosis. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My pre-gluten-free constant every-bone pain and occasional bouts w/ "Stiff Man Syndrome" went away once I was 100% gluten-free.

Not while I was 98% gluten-free tho.

And it may have taken a few months 100% gluten-free.

Have you been gluten-free long?

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

I used to have that in the large upper leg bone every month when I was menstuating. It's gone now that I'm gluten-free.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

You really need to get the bone scan done and I would highly recommend you consider putting yourself on 1000 mg of Vitamin D3 daily. Bone density, once lost, can be very difficult to regain.

Thanks - I am definitely working on stepping up my supplements. My father and I were talking last night about the vitamin D thing. I went to see a doctor finally last Friday, but he refused to run vitamin/mineral tests. I swear, men here just think they know better, and it's twice as bad when they're doctors. Really pisses me off because a man who has known me for five minutes can't possibly know better than me what I need. This is a seriously frustrating disease to get doctors to help you with! :angry:

The two supplements that helped me with pain, in muscles, nerves, and bones, are methylcobalamin (B12) and magnesium. The suggestion of vitamin D3 is a good one too. Just make sure it's D3 (cholecalciferol). There are really a lot of nutrients which have been proven to play an important role in bone health, but those are the main ones which come to mind.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.