Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFJo

Glutened At Work, Again!

So, once again, it seems I've been glutened at work. I had an Amy's gluten-free mac & cheese for lunch. Was it trace amounts of gluten in that? Or was I CCd by something in the kitchen? There always seems to be crumbs on the kitchen table, which I've mentioned to coworkers in a joking manner, "hey, your crumbs can make me sick!" (it's a small office and everyone knows about my problem). But no one here is very good at cleaning up after themselves. So I usually clean the table before I eat, then wash my hands. And I use plastic utensils.

I live an hour away, so there's no rushing home. Luckily I have my own office and bathroom, but still, who wants to have D at work? :o

I'm just venting. I know all of you can understand.

GFJo

Gluten Free since 6/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Consider getting some product like Gluten-zyme right away after getting CC'd. It really makes a huge difference for me. Bromelain/papain caps taken immediately also helps. Later taking dandelion or milk thistle helps with the aftermath of residual effects like swelling etc.

I find too carrying around pepto bismol tabs helps in cases of true emergency.

Bea

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Since we don't have a lunchroom with tables where I work I eat at my desk. If you don't want to eat at your desk you might consider bringing in a TV tray or foldable table to eat on if there is room to set it up.

I am always careful with the microwave. I wipe down the outside front and the counter area in front of it. If the microwave looks dirty I will also wipe down the inside. I always put a paper towel down in the micorwave oven and make sure my food is covered. I also put my food in a soft sided lunch box with blue ice. I do not use the communal refrigerator.

Lastly, I bring left overs from home as a general rule.

Hope you locate the problem.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

How frustrating! First of all, I stopped eating Amy's foods. I was getting sick almost every time I did. That could be one solution. Another is, I do all this:

I am always careful with the microwave. I wipe down the outside front and the counter area in front of it. If the microwave looks dirty I will also wipe down the inside. I always put a paper towel down in the micorwave oven and make sure my food is covered.

I also use a paper towel to open the refridgerator/microwave, as well as the door to the lunch room. I then wash my hands after preparing all my food (nuking it and putting it at my desk. Sounds a little OCD I know *shrug*

My former office was really bad, and I got CC'ed a few times from the crumbs. My new place is much cleaner and smaller, and the others are generally more aware of my situation.

Good luck! Hope it doesn't happen again ;)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I usually nuke food at work in a plastic container with the top on (not super-sealed, but not open) and then serve out onto my plate. That way I don't have to worry about the crumbs so much - luckily we have a small office and few others use the microwave, but I do wipe it out first anyway.

could a place mat help the crumbs-on-table situation? Then you wouldn't have to touch the crumbs to get rid of them in the first place! I admit I eat at my own desk.

good luck vanquishing the cc monster :)

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."