Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monkey123

Gluten Free Before Blood Test

Hey there,

I went off of gluten before I got my blood test (not smart I know). My doctor was extremely rude to me and didn't understand why I WANTED to have celiacs.. of course I don't want Celiacs I just want to be diagnosed properly. I am not sure if I am gluten intolerant or celiac, but either way I won't eat gluten. I was wondering if it helped or made much of a difference to actually be diagnosed as a celiac? I feel like I might be a little bit in the dark with different ingredients I am allowed to eat, but that could just be me. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Depends how long you had been off the gluten. The body still retains the antibodies for a while but after a few weeks they will start to diminish.

Why are these doctors so ignorant? I find the key is knowledge. The more knowledge you have, the more confident you are. When I talked with my doc yesterday she openly acknowledged that I know more about it than she does! Really get to know your subject, be firm and determined, then they have to sit up and take notice.

Mine sat with me and we looked up the tests on the internet together then she ordered several different ones - a lot more than the first one. I have also requested a gene panel to be done - anything that will back up my conviction that I am Celiac.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Hey there,

I went off of gluten before I got my blood test (not smart I know). My doctor was extremely rude to me and didn't understand why I WANTED to have celiacs.. of course I don't want Celiacs I just want to be diagnosed properly. I am not sure if I am gluten intolerant or celiac, but either way I won't eat gluten. I was wondering if it helped or made much of a difference to actually be diagnosed as a celiac? I feel like I might be a little bit in the dark with different ingredients I am allowed to eat, but that could just be me. Any thoughts?

This was accidentaly reported. It is a post from Eliza 1990.

Hi,

i read i your topic "Gluten Free Before Blood Test" it is verynice. your suggestion is very interesting. pls give more information.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.