Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

torontosue

Newly Diagnosed And Wondering How To Cope With Events?

Hi all,

It's my first post here, very happy to have found this place as I am somewhat overwhelmed right now. I'm newly diagnosed (about 3 weeks ago) and feeling much better with the gluten-free diet.

I'm not new to allergies however, also being allergic to grapes and strawberries and having a 14 year old son who was diagnosed with peanut/tree nut allergies at a year old, so thought that I was coping well....that is until the dreaded EVENT!!!

2 in one weekend, the first a family anniversary party where EVERYTHING was breaded and deep fried! The only thing there I could eat was the veggie platter and finally the fruit tray at the end. This was of course after being assured there would be rice and meat dishes...well, no rice to be seen (they decided to order pizza instead as a quick alternative) and all the meats were breaded. Ugh, needless to say I went home rather hungry.

The next night, a friend's wedding....again, salad and finally a chicken course I was able to enjoy...but inbetween were no less then TWO pasta courses.

So, how do you all cope with these events. I know I'm going mainly to socialize, but eating is such a large part of it. I'd feel a little self consious pulling out a pre - packaged meal at a wedding!

Sue

positive Biopsy diagnosis May 2008

allergic to strawberries and grapes

Mom to peanut allergy kid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to my world of "bringing my own food". I have done it for so many years, that it is just second nature to me. It is then always safe for me to eat at events. I have put chicken breasts in a baggie in my purse. And even my own grain. I carry a big purse. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Hi, I saw both your posts, and responded to your other one . Click here to see it.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Last year for my second-youngest daughter's wedding, I asked my daughter to get me in touch with the caterer. I then communicated with the caterer, who actually made sure the WHOLE MEAL was safe for me! Which is easy to do with the main course, obviously.

I brought my own dessert for me, my oldest daughter and her five children (as well as my own salad dressing), who are all gluten-free. I gave it to a waitress when we got there, who put it into the fridge, and brought it out when everybody else was having wedding cake and other desserts.

None of us were glutened, and we were able to enjoy the wedding and the foods.

But even if there are gluten dishes, some safe foods can always be arranged. And some things you might have to bring (like your own dessert, or salad dressing).

When it comes to family events, volunteer to bring a main dish and a dessert. Make something like gluten-free potato salad, or pasta salad (with rice pasta, obviously, and nobody will taste the difference), or maybe a casserole, something made in a crock pot or something like that.

Make sure you serve yourself first, so you have enough to eat without worrying about cross contamination, or running out.

That way you will eat safe food you like, and can enjoy the event.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------