Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

msmini14

Coffee

I am curious if some of you might have problems with coffee? Every time I get glutened I have to stop drinking coffee for a few days for my body to heal. Since I have to do that, should I stop drinking coffee all together? I love my coffee, I have my 2 cups in the morning then drink water for the rest of the day. It is a treat for me. Anyway, if any of you experience problems with coffee please let me know. I have been ill for the last 2 weeks, went back to basic foods and still cant recover.

Thanks!

Jen

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I noticed that when I get glutened, I too, have a hard time with coffee. I think the reason for me is that the gluten makes my head throb and I stay naseaous for about a day or so. Whether it's the caffeine, the acid, or the combination of both, I don't know, but when the inflammatory effects of gluten are raging in my body, those things only seem to aggravate them and make them worse. After the headache and the naseau wear off, coffee doesn't bother me at all. I stopped drinking coffee for a little while, but I didn't really see how it helped if I did get glutened. I still had the same symptoms.

So, I remain a slave to the java. I only drink it in the morning too, but that's just because I don't think anyone should drink caffeine all day. It's my vice, everyone's gotta have one.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

hey, for many years i was a HUGE coffee drinker, and even moreso in the year that i was diagnosed. since going gluten free and really starting to see results, i started to drink less coffee just because i wanted to go easier on my tummy. then i really started to realize that coffee was making me nauseous more often than not. so recently i switched over to drinking green tea with honey in the morning. i even decided to cut out the artificial sweeteners b/c i know those are not good for you. i still have the occasional cup o' joe with some hazelnut coffee mate, but in general, i'm glad to have cut down as drastically as i did. i really feel a lot better without all of that caffeine.

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008