This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss Surgery

jmelin

jmelin Newbie

Does anyone know anything about anykind of weight loss surgery and Celiac disease? I was dignosed with Celiac 4 years ago and have Neropthy in my feet and I am very overweight. I am looking into gastric bypass or another surgery. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
Does anyone know anything about anykind of weight loss surgery and Celiac disease? I was dignosed with Celiac 4 years ago and have Neropthy in my feet and I am very overweight. I am looking into gastric bypass or another surgery. Thank you

You may need to cut way down on your carbohydrates. People who are unable to lose weight are often carbohydrate intolerant, and should eat mostly meat and fat, no grains and starches at all, hardly any fruit, and just a few vegetables.

Gastric bypass surgery is a terrible idea. It causes malabsorption and vitamin and mineral deficiencies. It shortens people's lifespan as a result (in some cases people die within a few years afterwards).

Yes, obviously malabsorption causes weight loss. But at what price!

Click on this link to find articles on gastric bypass surgery that will give you the true risks: Open Original Shared Link

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Probably not what you want to hear, but I also don't believe in weight loss surgery. I lost 100# the hard way, but by taking my time and changing my life, I've managed to keep it off for almost 5 years now-even having a baby 2 years ago. I won't pretend it's easy, but I promise, it's do-able. There has to be some kind of exercise that you can do...??? I don't have much experience with neuropathies, but I would (if you haven't already) talk to your Dr about ways to incorporate some exercise. I know some wheelchair bound people who are able to work out in their chairs, some even swim which seems to help tremendously. Then there's the 'diet' issue. Most of the time there's a need for changing eating habits. If you can give us some kind of background on yourself, maybe there's something we can do to help with some alternatives. :)

• 1 month later...
zip2play Apprentice

My sister had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Yes she lost the weight and for a while, was horribly UNDER weight. She is now at a more healthy weight but eating and living pain-free is not something she is able to do! Sometimes, no matter what she eats she has horrible stomach aches, she has an almost constant constipation problem (to the degree of only pooping 1 time a week) and if she eats certain foods, they almost immediately put her to sleep.

She misses a lot of work due to the pain or inability to eat in a way that won't cause her enormous pain. Plus she has tons of excess skin. It just hangs on her.

I would NEVER EVER suggest this to anyone. Yes she is thin, but she lives in almost constant pain and is always having side effect issues. Not to mention the fact that long-term health issues are completely unknown for her now. I mean, what happens in 30 years???

Monica

I am not belittling a persons desire to be smaller. I have a good 15 to 20 pounds I need to lose. It is not easy, I would never indicate that it was.

ShayFL Enthusiast

We lost one of our very best friends 2 years ago to gastric bypass. He was only 54 and left behind two children for his wife to raise alone. :( We still miss him dearly......

• 5 weeks later...
Rya Newbie

Goodness gracious there are lots of low-carb/no carb believers here. It's a mighty quick ticket to get diabetes and end up in a coma. I wish they counseled as many people that ended up in the hospital from those crazy diets as I have. ....and I'm done ranting...

Weight-loss surgery! Gastric by-pass is absolutely not a good choice. However, I understand your predicament with the neuropathy, I assume from diabetes? In most cases I believe in diet first. I think, though, that if your health is at such a risk that immediate weight loss is called for, there are good options available.

Lap-band is a good surgery. Even better is if you find a surgeon that offers a support group and diet counseling. Those are the ones that want to help you be successful.

A bit about lap-band: It is a laproscopic surgery, about a one week recovery time. It involves placing a band around the top of the stomach that can be loosened or tightened by a saline injection. The ability to completely reverse the lap band is what I like the most. It in no way changes your body's absorption of food, but only limits your intake.

A big downside is that you have to have your lap-band adjusted every 6 to 12 months as long as you want it to work. It leeches a bit of saline, less than a drop really, but enough to make a difference. Most surgeons include lifelong adjustments in their initial bill HOWEVER if you move or your surgeon retires, other surgeons will charge you an arm and a leg and maybe a toe to adjust your lap-band. The reasoning is they don't know where the other surgeon placed the saline port and it makes them nervous to find it on x-ray etc. So find a surgeon you like that is younger than you! :P

Even so, lap-band beats the heck out of gastric bypass.

Archived