Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaye of PA

What Do You Do When Glutened, To Recover?

Can some of you share what you do when you get glutened--to recover more quickly?

I become constipated, and even though I can take magnesium to speed things up, there seems to be "damage" for a couple of weeks, with pain, cramping, etc. I don't know if I should go on a liquid diet or eat less or eat regular--or what?

It seems like ANYthing I put in there doesn't sit well for a while, and I just have to wait a week or so till it gets better.

Gaye of PA

Newly diagnosed gluten intolerant in February 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wish there was something we could do to speed the antibodies effects out of the system but unfortunately it seems only time takes care of it. I take pepto for the stomach pain, add in some digestive enzymes, try to find a few ways to pamper myself (I get severe anxiety and depression with gluten) and I make 'it is the gluten it will pass' my mantra. I have found that sweet potatoes seem to help me when I get C, although I get that from soy more than gluten. I also up my fruit intake and try to make absolutely sure I am eating only safe unprocessed foods until I feel better. What works for one of us will not always work for others and hopefully some other folks will post with what is helpful to them. I hope you feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

You could try an elemental diet formula like tolerex or vivonex. Eating strictly this and only this in the first couple days after you are glutened couldn't hurt. It puts the least stress of anything you could possibly eat on your digestive system.

You could try an elemental diet formula like tolerex or vivonex. Eating strictly this and only this in the first couple days after you are glutened couldn't hurt. It puts the least stress of anything you could possibly eat on your digestive system.

These appear to be an item that we could only get with a script from a doctor, am I correct about that? Also since if they are considered a prescription item they would not fall under the labeling guidelines for gluten, do you know what the food starch is that is in it? Most likely not gluten but I am curious.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I've yet to find anything that "speeds up the process." I just tell myself that it will be gone soon and try to do as little physical activity as possible.

If you find out anything that makes you feel better, please let me know! Sorry I can't be of more help.

I tend to get the reverse....diarrhea...bleah, so I load up on Imodium (never leave home without it) and then just try and eat as simply as I can til it passes. In my case I do a lot of rice as I want to 'bulk up' again. but I doubt that would help with constipation. It is gentle on my tummy pains though.

Sue

positive Biopsy diagnosis May 2008

allergic to strawberries and grapes

Mom to peanut allergy kid.

No prescription required. Just go online and order away. You are supposed to take it under a doctor's direction, and it is kind of a tricky thing to rely on as your only form of sustenance in terms of getting the same balance of calories as your regular diet. But its doable. There is no gluten in the two I mentioned. I think vivonex contains soy. Most formulas do contain some soy. These formulas are indicated for refractory sprue patients.

These appear to be an item that we could only get with a script from a doctor, am I correct about that? Also since if they are considered a prescription item they would not fall under the labeling guidelines for gluten, do you know what the food starch is that is in it? Most likely not gluten but I am curious.