Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aleshia

Is Hypothermia A Symptom?

when I was about 16 my temp was always really low... around 96.6 I used to be really tired and get sick a lot. I was at a boarding school and the school nurse just told me that I was depressed, didn't want to be around anyone, and needed to go see the counselor. anyway, I ended up dropping out of school for the rest of the year and my grandma took me to her naturopath who said I had epstein bar (sp?) and hypo thyroidism. I took my thyroid pills for about 3 months or so and then decided I didn't feel much better and quit taking them (I was a teen... what would you expect? :rolleyes: ) anyway I go to the same naturopath now and my thyroid levels tested normal (she said they were excellent) my temp is pretty much normal or just below normal (around 97.8 or above usually) anyway I was just wondering can epstein bar cause hypothermia? I thought you got a fever with it... and also can hypothermia be a symptom of celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Apparently chronic low body temperature is called Wilson's Syndrome, and it's consistent with celiac disease:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5210

I researched Mononucleosis recently. Apparently most people who get it don't get sick. The problems come when Epstein Barr goes systemic. It crosses the blood/brain barrier. It attacks nerves all over the body, including organs. It attacks immune system components, including the spleen. The combination of Epstein Barr and wheat gliadin protein is capable of setting up autoimmune reactions in celiac sufferers, especially in organs dependent on SOD1 aggregate nerve repair. Those would include thyroid, pituitary, eye retinas, brain, spinal chord and virtually every organ transduction boundary.

when I was about 16 my temp was always really low... around 96.6 I used to be really tired and get sick a lot. I was at a boarding school and the school nurse just told me that I was depressed, didn't want to be around anyone, and needed to go see the counselor. anyway, I ended up dropping out of school for the rest of the year and my grandma took me to her naturopath who said I had epstein bar (sp?) and hypo thyroidism. I took my thyroid pills for about 3 months or so and then decided I didn't feel much better and quit taking them (I was a teen... what would you expect? :rolleyes: ) anyway I go to the same naturopath now and my thyroid levels tested normal (she said they were excellent) my temp is pretty much normal or just below normal (around 97.8 or above usually) anyway I was just wondering can epstein bar cause hypothermia? I thought you got a fever with it... and also can hypothermia be a symptom of celiac disease?

For years I've had a lower than normal temperature. As a result, when I have a fever, my temp is usually only around 99 degrees. The doctor's and nurses dismiss it as not enough above normal to be a real fever, despite the fact that it is 3-4 degrees above what is "normal" for me.

It would be interesting to go back through my charts and see if the temperature thing correlates with my celiac symptoms.

Kate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Celiac symptoms since 1985 (gluten-free since 9/2/07)

Vitiligo since 1991

Environmental allergies since 1992

Polycystic Ovary Disease since 1993

HLA DQA 1*05 (DQ5)

:lol::D Finally I found 2 people like me! Me too my temp is chronically low and when I get a severe infection ( Like I am halucinating and well I'll save you the details) my temp goes up to 99 max.

One Doctor said I hate to mess with you it seems dangerouse, at least he was honest.

I never heard of this before in other people, the Most Dr's look at me though I am nuts :P

I had Severe Bronchitis once and the nurse said you are not sick your temperature is normal, I was a student at the time , luckily my friend kept checking on me when I told her that I was too weak to eat the great fruit she bought me and that I have been sitting up in bed because it hurts my lungs to turn around , she dragged me to the Doctor, he was FURIOUSE at the nurse and said that the temperature is not a full Diagnosis YOU LOOK AT THE PATIENT.

I wonder what this is and do others have this?

gluten-free/CF 5/8/08

Multiple food Allergies

Chemicle Sensitivity Syndrom

I suposedly have IBS

Psilly page member

Crohns

Celiac (duh)

"My llamas are in me head... "

-Llama`Llady

Anything below 98.6 give or take a smidge is not normal during the day. It drops some at night, but should be 97.8 or higher when you wake up and IMO should never be below 97.8 at anytime of the day.

It indicates thyroid issues. The thyroid is your internal thermostat. TSH should be less than 2 with most people feeling good with it being 1 or less. Mine has to be completely suppressed for me to feel good.

Get your thyroid checked if your temp is low:

TSH

Free T-3

Free T-4

And all of the antibodies

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Anything below 98.6 give or take a smidge is not normal during the day. It drops some at night, but should be 97.8 or higher when you wake up and IMO should never be below 97.8 at anytime of the day.

It indicates thyroid issues. The thyroid is your internal thermostat. TSH should be less than 2 with most people feeling good with it being 1 or less. Mine has to be completely suppressed for me to feel good.

Get your thyroid checked if your temp is low:

TSH

Free T-3

Free T-4

And all of the antibodies

I would agree. Please get your thyroid checked.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Apparently chronic low body temperature is called Wilson's Syndrome, and it's consistent with celiac disease:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5210

I researched Mononucleosis recently. Apparently most people who get it don't get sick. The problems come when Epstein Barr goes systemic. It crosses the blood/brain barrier. It attacks nerves all over the body, including organs. It attacks immune system components, including the spleen. The combination of Epstein Barr and wheat gliadin protein is capable of setting up autoimmune reactions in celiac sufferers, especially in organs dependent on SOD1 aggregate nerve repair. Those would include thyroid, pituitary, eye retinas, brain, spinal chord and virtually every organ transduction boundary.

you mentioned eye retinas... this is about the same age that my eyes started going bad although I didn't get glasses until I was 19... I couldn't make out people's faces across a room and failed my driving test because I was "too cautious"... would that be from this same thing also? I just went to the eye doc (hadn't had an eye exam in about 8 years!!) and she said that my prescription is the same strength now but just different. (not sure how that works... but its cool that my eyes haven't gotten "worse")

thanks for all the replies... my temp lately has been almost normal and when I get a fever it is a real fever... sometimes I just won't "feel good" and take my temp and it is around 99 I will have to look into the wilsons syndrome thing and also about hte T3 and T4... anyone know if your body can "repair itself" from pregnancy? after my second child I no longer get the severe cramping that led to the doctor searching for endometriosis and my temp isn't low like it used to be... some things got worse after kids... but I am thankful for the things that did get better!