Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrose

I Need My Gumbo!

The whole famiIy loves my chicken and sausage gumbo. would like to know what gluten free flour could I fry the chicken in and that I could use to make a good roux for the gumbo. I am starting my gluten-free

Diet in one week. I made the regular gumbo last week, it was great but the next two days I had migranes, bodyaches, and very fatigued.

I am looking forward to this diet, I just hope it works

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The whole famiIy loves my chicken and sausage gumbo. would like to know what gluten free flour could I fry the chicken in and that I could use to make a good roux for the gumbo. I am starting my gluten-free

Diet in one week. I made the regular gumbo last week, it was great but the next two days I had migranes, bodyaches, and very fatigued.

I am looking forward to this diet, I just hope it works

I'll be waiting for that post.I am the gumbo maker in my house and I have no clue about what flour to use.I want to go to Whole Foods and ask around.I live very close to Baton Rouge,La. and everyone says that's the best place around here for gluten free products.My parents live with us and my Dad is craving some good old gumbo! I am too....not to mention fried chicken!

Kay

Gluten free since 4/11/08

Positive dietary response

Blood test negative

Endoscopy negative biopsy

but found :" Villous blunting and atrophy" and

"Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema"

Doctor insisted I need to go gluten free for at least 4 months

Best thing I ever did!

If you make your gumbo spicy, a basic all-purpose mix would be fine

If you keep your gumbo mild, try a rice flour

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

If you make your gumbo spicy, a basic all-purpose mix would be fine

If you keep your gumbo mild, try a rice flour

Thanks- Even though I use cayenne pepper in the flour, It still seems mild to me. I will go with the rice flour.

Yhanks

I make my roux with cornstarch. Takes forever, but works well. For chicken, Pamela's mixes work well. I have used the pancake mix for frying chicken and its pretty yummy. Adds a bit of sweet to it, but its a good flavor.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I've never made gumbo but I dip my chicken in corn flour (not cornmeal or corn starch) and it makes a lovely crust. It has some thickening power, but I use either corn starch or sweet (glutinous)rice flour to thicken my sauces and gravies. Just mix with a little water and whisk in a few minutes before serving for it to thicken up. Start with about half the amount of what you would use of flour.