This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Bleach Destroy Gluten?

Leslie-FL

Leslie-FL Rookie

I've been going through my kitchen and getting rid of things like plastic cutting boards, colanders, scratched nonstick cookware, plastic plates and bowls, etc. - anything that may have absorbed gluten before I went gluten-free.

And then I came to this wood-looking salad set. I'm not sure if it's actual wood - it looks like little pieces of wood all molded together, and evidently has some sort of protective coating because it's smooth and has no splinters or anything. No scratches either. (It looks just like Open Original Shared Link.)

I have used the bowls several times to feed my cat her canned food, so if they're porous, they likely would have absorbed gluten. I just don't know if they're porous.

The thing is, this set is sentimental. I was about ten when my mom bought it, which would make it around 34 years old.

I wonder if soaking it in bleach might get rid of any gluten that might be present. Anyone know if bleach would do the trick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I know how you feel. I went through the same thing. I don't think bleach can or would get imbedded gluten particles out of plastic or porous things. BUt for my stainless steel pots & pans I did scrub them with soapy water,( with bleach) then I boiled a big canning pot & added each piece of stainless & boiled the daylights out of it before I would use it for gluten-free. It sounds a tad anal but I then felt comfortable using them again.....

For my hand-me -down porous things that I just couldn't part with . I washed with hot ,soapy , bleach water , dried & put in a heavy plastic bag. I have them I just don't use them.... I still have my memories when I get out my bag & look at each piece.

hth mamaw

home-based-mom Contributor

I don't know for sure if bleach would get out any left-over gluten or not, but it might damage the salad bowl! If you are uncomfortable using it as it was originally intended, use it for something else non food related. Maybe fill it with polished rocks and put in an artificial plant? You'll think of something . . .

jerseyangel Proficient

It's hard to say if they can be cleaned of any gluten....although if they have a completely smooth surface with out scratches, they could be ok. Kinda depends on the surface......

I understand the sentimental part--I keep my old wooden rolling pin in the china cabinet in my kitchen--across the back of one of the shelves. I used that pin for many years, baking cookies with my boys--I couldn't just chuck it when I bought my new one! :D

Maybe the safest thing would be to find another non-food use for it so you can still enjoy it.

neesee Apprentice

I didn't fuss about anything at all. It's been over 20 years now and I'm doing fine. No cancer, no major celiac problems. If I had it to do over, I would get a new colander and maybe replace very scraped up teflon. I didn't use teflon back then. I was too sick to think about things like that. You've gotta love the internet! I didn't have that around to influence me in any way. Maybe that was a good thing.

neesee

Ursa Major Collaborator

Gluten is not alive. It is not a virus or bacteria. Therefore using bleach to clean things that have gluten on them is useless.

Scrubbing is what gets the gluten off. Using soapy water and a scrubber will get gluten off smooth surfaces. Adding bleach to the water will have zero effect on the gluten. But it is poisonous to us. Personally, I would NEVER use bleach in my dishwater, for fear it would make me sick.

I have salad bowls like that one. They do have a coating, so if there truly are no scratches on it, I would think it is safe if washed well and scrubbed with one of those scrubbers that is supposed to be safe for dishes (obviously not one out of metal, or one of the harsh ones).

neesee Apprentice
Gluten is not alive. It is not a virus or bacteria. Therefore using bleach to clean things that have gluten on them is useless.

Scrubbing is what gets the gluten off. Using soapy water and a scrubber will get gluten off smooth surfaces. Adding bleach to the water will have zero effect on the gluten. But it is poisonous to us. Personally, I would NEVER use bleach in my dishwater, for fear it would make me sick.

I have salad bowls like that one. They do have a coating, so if there truly are no scratches on it, I would think it is safe if washed well and scrubbed with one of those scrubbers that is supposed to be safe for dishes (obviously not one out of metal, or one of the harsh ones).

I know they use bleach in the dish water at Burger King. It's a requirement there. My dd is a BK manager. Boy, that bleach water is hard on her hands, especially in the winter when she works on drive-thru.

neesee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
I know they use bleach in the dish water at Burger King. It's a requirement there. My dd is a BK manager. Boy, that bleach water is hard on her hands, especially in the winter when she works on drive-thru.

neesee

I know, the stupid health departments of the governments of both the USA and Canada require all public places to put bleach in their dishwater. Even our church is required to, because it kills germs. But in my opinion it is a ridiculous measure that will cause disease, rather than prevent it.

Archived