Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ConfusedLexi

Food Questions

Hi!

Sorry I have been gone for a while. I have been super busy. Working two jobs, four kids, the works. LOL But I have a question for you brilliant people. You all know way more than I do, I like to pick your brains! :)

I was wondering if you knew if Pork and Beans were gluten free, and if not what is a good substitute? Also, what about chocolate chips? My dad said that Hershey's chocolate chips are gluten free. But are they really? And if not, do you have any other suggestions as to which ones I could use? Please help. I want to make muffins and need to know what kinds I can use. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Lexi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ingredients can change without warning, so the best way to know if something is safe is to read labels. Here is a list of companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten (as in wheat, barley, malt and rye). If you don't see these words from these companies, it just isn't there.

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I was wondering if you knew if Pork and Beans were gluten free, and if not what is a good substitute? Also, what about chocolate chips? My dad said that Hershey's chocolate chips are gluten free. But are they really? And if not, do you have any other suggestions as to which ones I could use? Please help. I want to make muffins and need to know what kinds I can use. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Lexi

I am not sure about pork and beans (what brands) but for chocolate chips I use Nestle--Toll House (they will label if present). There is also Enjoy Life brand.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I use the Great Value brand chocolate chips from Walmart and only $1.12 right now. It says gluten-free on the bag in big letters. I use Van Camp's Baked Beans from Con Agra who is on the list of safe brands. They say they state if its not gluten-free. Mine say modified "corn" starch. You can call them @ 1-800-826-2267 Many canned beans are safe but no so with chili beans so be careful with those.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I have bought some pork and beans that were safe, but offhand I can't remember the brand. I do generally buy organic beans though.

We have additional food allergies, so Enjoy Life are the only ones we use.

I used to buy the walmart brand chips before going DF. They're great :) I also used Nestle with no problems.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.