Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marlow

A Case Of The Mopeys

So two weeks ago my doctor confirmed for me that I have Celiac's Disease. I also am hypoglycemic and have metabolic syndrome. Needless to say, it was alot of information for one day! So I stopped eating gluten the very next day and after about 3 days my symptoms have truly lessened! I'm not in the bathroom as often and it's not as painful. HOWEVER, with the 4th of July approaching I am finding myself feeling pretty mopey about this whole thing. (and I am not one who enjoys feeling sorry for herself) It also doesn't help that my friends are still getting used to the idea, they still tell me the beer specials. I'm just wondering if anyone has any sage advice for getting through the transition, beause I'm really ready to get over myself! But then my mind wanders to a Corona Light....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well...I don't know where you live, but gluten-free beer is quite readily available these days. To deal with the upcoming weekend, try to get yourself some Redbridge or Bard's Tale beer and perhaps some gluten-free hamburger or hotdog buns (Whole Foods and some health food stores carry them). That way you can have all the normal 4th of July stuff and it won't seem like a drastic change.

Welcome to the gluten-free world and to the board, btw. :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

It's tough at first, no doubt about it. I think the first few holidays are particularly rough. But I can tell you with 100% confidence that it gets easier-- much easier!

For beer, there are a couple gluten-free alternatives. I'm not a beer drinker, so I can't remember them all, but I know Redbridge is a favorite around here. (I go for mixed drinks, myself. ;) )

It takes time for your friends to get used to it, too... My own best friend, who I've known since we were little kids, thought I'd lost my mind at first. That was really hard. But she gets it now... just takes time. (For her, I think the turn around was when I got sick at a party at her house, and she actually witnessed me running to the bathroom every 10 minutes for hours... <_< Still don't know what got me that night- whatever it was, hit fast.)

If there's any favorite recipes you want help converting, all you have to do is ask. People around here are very helpful!

A couple things I can tell you off the top of my head:

*Unlike regular pasta, different brands of gluten-free pasta all have different tastes and textures. For my family, Tinkyada is by far the best brand. Use it to make spaghetti, baked ziti, macaroni salad, lasange, anything.

*Potato salad can easily be made gluten-free- just make sure the mayo is gluten-free and uncontaminated.

*Deviled eggs, same thing

*Be careful of grill seasonings- many have barley malt or wheat hidden in "natural flavorings." There are also many that are safe. You just have to check out the website or call the company. A fast way to check is to google the company name and gluten. Example- "Kraft gluten" or "Bush's Beans gluten." Many times, it'll take you straight to the answer.

*For BBQ sauce, I like Sweet Baby Ray's.

* French's mustard is safe, and Heinz Ketchup. Wal-mart brand ketchup is also safe.

*Kraft and Ken's both have lists of gluten-free varieties of their salad dressings and marinades on their websites. It's helpful to print them out and carry them to the store with you. Other brands do too... um, Annie's does, and I think Newman's Own does, too.

I hope this helps a little.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Honestly, the 4th isn't too bad for me. I love burgers....hold the bun. and I drink more daiqueries and pina coladas on this day than any other day during the year. Make yourself a pitcher of Margaritas and tell everyone you're too good for beer anymore lol. Although I would love a good beer right now....I'm happy and content with what I have been drinking. My friends get more than my family that I can't eat/drink certain things (which is surprising due to the family history)...so I just say that I'm too classy for the crappy stuff LMAO. Chin up there! We all have our funks, and I just went gluten-free again (i went off the diet for a while...and I regret it) and when i went gluten-free, I was in a funk for a while.

Jami

Im making a seafood pasta salad to take to friends tomorrow. gluten-free of course. :) My friends are grilling burgers and hotdogs. I dont drink...so no issue there.

But I will have just as much fun eating my yummy pasta salad as I would otherwise. I am going to hang out with my friends...not have a relationship with food.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

You have come to the right place to turn you frown upside down that is for sure. I have only been gluten free for abot 6 months and only found this site about a month ago and it is a God send. Everybody is so helpful and I got the best recipie for my birthday cake from one of the posters here was better then one made with wheat flour. There is a recipie for Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes that I am dieing to try because I really miss those, that was my favorite food to eat out for breakfast. It is wonderful to be able to come to a place where people understand what you are going through from the emotional to the physical. It takes time to adjust. I am still adjusting and learning how to good with the new pastas and flours and eating more frutis and vegies and my family is learning to adjust to. I have made my house gluten free I don't feel that is fair to my family but I do only cook gluten free pasta which we all like even my picky son. The rest of the family still has their own bread and cookies and stuff like that and I have my own but sauces and stuff like that are all gluten free so for now it seems to work out ok.

Again I am so so thankful for this site and don't know what I would do with out it, curl up in a ball and cry maybe :(

Chrissy