Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texas

Fresh Vegetable Platter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am invited to a picnic on the 4th. Someone is bringing a prepackaged vegetable platter. Has anyone ever had issues?

When I go to things like that, I usually try to get my food first. That way I don't have to worry about cc from folks using utensils from other foods or even gluten-coated fingers. But otherwise, I have never had problem with the packaged fresh vegetables.

Gina

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

I suppose that would depend on where it came from. I have seen some from places like Redi-Pac (sp?) that would probably be safe. I think they only do fruit and vegetable trays. Or maybe only vegetable trays. If it is done up at a store, it might be made alongside sandwich platters. Could you find out where it came from? If from a store, you could call the store and see how they are done up.

It would also depend, if the person arranging the veggies washed their hands before touching the veggies. I know that a lot of people walk in the kitchen, wash their hands, & then touch a cookie & still consider that they have clean hands. Also, did they empty the veggies onto a cutting board (bread crumbs) before transferring to a platter.

If you want to be happy & have a good time - take your own food. It is just easier to start out that way & no one will question it. Just explain that it is like the peanut allergy - one whiff & you are done in.

I reacted to pre-sliced fruits about a month ago. Figured out that they were cut up right next to the baking area at Whole Foods. All that flour.....settles everywhere. So now I cut my own fruits and veggies after washing them.

Be safe. Pack your own food.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!