This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tryglycerides Way Too High

finally diagnosed

finally diagnosed Apprentice

hi folks. i don't usually post so i hope this goes where it should. does anyone have problems with their tryglycerides being high. my good and bad cholesterol are good except my tryglycerices are 430! i don't eat fried foods, i take multivitamins which are totally gluten free. someone had mentioned maybe too much starch. any ides would be great. or advice to lower it.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

My triglycerides are slightly elevated last time they were checked. The dr was not too worried. I looked into it though and think my problem was the last thing I had before the fasting was a cocktail! I found out that alcohol can raise your numbers. I think I read somewhere that you should refrain from alcohol four or five days before the test.

Is the dr worried about diabetes? That's what I thought this test was for. I know there are celiacs who also have diabetes. I do not know how common that is.

I wish I could help more.

Hez

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't know about alcohol as I don't drink any more. I do have diabetes and people with type 2 are more prone to high triglycerides. What DOES raise triglycerides though is carbs, particularly of the refined variety like sugar and white rice. Try eating less carbs.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Ditto on eating low carb---- Much evidence shows that sugar, and simple carbs raise triglycerides---- Cut WAY BACK on these and see what happens--- NOT easy to do-----of course. :)

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Ditto on eating low carb---- Much evidence shows that sugar, and simple carbs raise triglycerides---- Cut WAY BACK on these and see what happens--- NOT easy to do-----of course. :)

thanks everyone. i suppose i do eat alot of carbs. once i find a bread that is decent i overdue it. i just switched my rice to brown rice also. i also did have wine the night before i did the test so hopefully this is the culprit. as for the diabetes test i am already hypoglycemic so i don't know if one effects the other.

i will definetly try no carbs and hopefully this will work. i refuse to go on lipitor.

thank you all

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm hypoglycemic, and had a low non-fasting reading (79mg/dl) 3 hours after eating at the same time I got my cholesterol test results, where my triglycerides were 73, so - for me - it doesn't lead to a connection.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Have you had your thyroid and liver checked recently? It could be an indication that you have hypothyroidism or something going on with your liver.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Just remember, it's not a NO CARB diet (you need carbs to live ) it's a LOW CARB diet. :)

veggienft Rookie

Open Original Shared Link

------------------------------------------------------------

Triglycerides are a form of fat in the bloodstream. People with high triglycerides often have a high total cholesterol, a high LDL (bad) cholesterol and a low HDL (good) cholesterol level. Many people with heart disease also have high triglyceride levels. Several clinical studies have shown that people with above-normal triglyceride levels (greater than or equal to 200 mg/dL) have an increased risk of heart disease. People with diabetes or who are obese are also likely to have high triglycerides.

------------------------------------------------------------

There's lots of conclusive evidence which now discounts the importance of bad cholesterol intake. It says that heart and artery health depend on the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol in the blood.

Practically, we're looking at the ratio of omega 3 intake to omega 6 intake. People who ingest more omega 3 oil actually decrease the LDL in their blood. I would be increasing my Omega 3 intake, either through eating predator fish meat, or by fish oil supplements.

Don't go overboard, because of the danger of mercury poisoning.

Archived