This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If You Have A "blended Kitchen"

Beth in NC

Beth in NC Contributor

I would love to have a 100% gluten-free kitchen, but I have compromised to have a kitchen cart beside the table in the breakfast nook. That cart and that table is the only place the gluten should be. BUT...I feel like it migrating! Obviously, if the dishwasher is clean and still needs emtpying, my son can't put his dish in there, so it has gone on the counter. I have said in the past to put it in the sink and I would just consider the sink a "contamination" zone. But I'm wondering about when I have a few dishes to wash up...some had gluten on them. Do you have a system for cleaning up? Do you wear those icky gloves? I'm just feeling like the way I used to clean my kitchen isn't enough now. I usually take the cloth I washed dishes with and wipe down the counters. What if the cloth is now contaminated?

My brain hurts from trying to figure this all out!

Don't tell me to make everyone else eat my stuff. We ARE going to be blended right now, so I need to learn the best way to deal with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samcarter Contributor

I have a blended kitchen, and am still figuring out systems.

One tip that has helped me a lot: If i'm making two versions of something, one glutenous and gluten-free, i make the gluten-free version first, and then the non-gluten-free version. That way I'm not cleaning everything, every cooking utensil, et cetera, in the middle of the process.

I think for the dishcloths--and I'm going to start doing this--use a different color for gluten-wiping stuff, and then toss those immediately into the laundry pile when you're done with them. Just use them once for a gluten-wipe down. Have different cloths for washing gluten-free stuff up. OR use paper towels to clean up gluten and crumbs, then you can throw them out and wash your hands.

I would think that while you're washing dishes, you're washing the gluten off your hands at the same time. I wash my hands after handling bread and gluten, always.

Maybe make it your son's job to empty the dishwasher? ;) Or have him wash his own dishes, unless you think he won't do a very good job.

Beth in NC Contributor

The only thing that gets "cooked" that contains gluten would be a Stouffer's frozen something or other. Goes in the microwave and then the dish gets chunked. Their plates are easy enough to get in the dishwasher. They eat cereal too. Maybe I should get disposibles for them! Then their bowls, etc get pitched! I need to just be better at cleaning up the kitchen after meals, but I still feel like cr@p, so I procrastinate. I might consider some disposable bowls though...he tends to leave that remnant amount of icky milk in the bowl on the counter. If it's in a disposable bowl, he'll have to either drink the milk or dump it down the drain...which leads to...how often do you scrub out the sink? What method do you use?

I think I should have gotten a neat freak gene...would have made this easier. B)

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter is the only one who can't have gluten. At first we got rid of it all. But that wasn't realistic. I buy bread for myself and husband. We make sandwiches and toast in our own toaster. I sometimes buy crackers or pretzels for myself. We have gluten containing cereal. Husband gets some prepared foods like meatloaf, sandwiches and pizza. I try to buy as much as I can already prepared, but I have additional allergies so I can't just go buy a sandwich somewhere because I am allergic to most of the bread.

What I do to solve the plate problem is use paper plates and bowls and plastic flatware. These are used for any gluten containing items. Actually for *most* of our food because husband was spreading allergens everwhere. Daughter and I are both allergic to eggs and he was cooking eggs in my Corelle bowls in the microwave with no added fat. The egg would weld to the bowl and I had to scrub forever to get it off. So I suggested the paper bowls.

MNBeth Explorer

We keep a limited-gluten kitchen - no gluten flours, but gluten cereal and sometimes burger buns. No one in my family was big into sandwiches even before, so the bread hasn't been a big loss for anyone around here.

I have very strict rules about how the gluten items are to be handled in our kitchen, and my husband and 3 non-GI kids have been very cooperative. If we're having burgers, they'll get everything else before they touch their bun, then wash their hands as soon as they're done. Things like that.

I don't worry about mixing dirty dishes, or having gluten dishes on the counter by the sink. I don't actually worry too much about the dishcloths, either. All the dishes that get washed get rinsed last, so even if there was gluten on the dishcloth, I'm not persuaded that it's going to be on a dish after it's rinsed. As for counters, since we don't generally eat food directly off the counters, and I never prep food in the area right next to the sink anyway, I'm not afraid to let a glutened dish touch that area. I wipe it up and move on. Same w/ the kitchen table - the only other area in the kitchen where gluten food or dishes go. I'm just not persuaded that minute traces of gluten possibly left by the dishcloth on the counter or table are going to somehow end up in my food.

To some that will seem lax. To my extended family - even the other gluten intolerants in it - I'm over-the-top fastidious. We're all on the spectrum somewhere. ;)

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Beth, I guess I am on the same line you are. I am the only one in the family the it gluten free. My son and husband have their one bread, creal and snacks as do I and the two shall never meet. All the main meals we eat together are gluten free. As for the counter tops and dishes I an not to considerd with so far they have not been a problem. My family is good about cleaning up their own dishes for the most part when they make as mess, so far so good.

Rya Newbie

Disposables are a fantastic idea - then you wouldn't have to worry about the sink or dishes you use!!!! :D

The president of the celiac group here in houston told me she uses regular old 409 to clean. Can't endorse it one way or another. Wiping the counter with paper towels might be less worry than a sponge...

Rya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I'm moving back to my apt. at school this weekend. Unlike last semester I have a roomate this semester so I planned ahead. Obviously it will be impossible for me to have a gluten free kitchen so I am bringing a plasic storage container for all my food and keeping it out of the way. As far as pots and pans/silverware ect.. I'm using my own and washing it immediatly after I am done using it with my own sponge that will also be out of the way of all the gluten foods. I'm keeping a few plates, bowls and silverware for myself to use in a plastic container also. I think as long as I wash my hands before I eat and dont clean my roomate's gluten dishes I will be O.K. It will suck b/c a lot of times I'm in a hurry and leave stuff in the sink, wah it later... that is one thing I wont be able to do anymore with sharing a sink. On the positive side, I have a good excuse NOT to wash my roomates dishes!!! And she definitly doesnt have to worry about me eating her food. I'll just have to make sure she doesnt use my mayo/butter, I'll definitly be sharpie-ing it "gluten-free" haha- you never know who may just stop by and use something of mine <_<

purple Community Regular
I'm moving back to my apt. at school this weekend. Unlike last semester I have a roomate this semester so I planned ahead. Obviously it will be impossible for me to have a gluten free kitchen so I am bringing a plasic storage container for all my food and keeping it out of the way. As far as pots and pans/silverware ect.. I'm using my own and washing it immediatly after I am done using it with my own sponge that will also be out of the way of all the gluten foods. I'm keeping a few plates, bowls and silverware for myself to use in a plastic container also. I think as long as I wash my hands before I eat and dont clean my roomate's gluten dishes I will be O.K. It will suck b/c a lot of times I'm in a hurry and leave stuff in the sink, wah it later... that is one thing I wont be able to do anymore with sharing a sink. On the positive side, I have a good excuse NOT to wash my roomates dishes!!! And she definitly doesnt have to worry about me eating her food. I'll just have to make sure she doesnt use my mayo/butter, I'll definitly be sharpie-ing it "gluten-free" haha- you never know who may just stop by and use something of mine <_<

Could you put your dirty gluten-free dishes in a bag in your own dish pan/storage container, to protect them until you get back home to wash them after classes? My dd moved to an apt. and lives with a slob. She can't even make something b/c all the pans are in the sink and the dishes in the dish washer...dirty. :angry: I cook food for her and freeze it, then get it to her (over an hour drive) so all she has to do is microwave it. Its fun cooking for her but its not fair b/c I bought all the kitchen stuff and she can't use it. :angry: When her lease is up she WILL have a new roommate! 8 months to go :blink:

Kauk Rookie

I dont worry about that too much............Should I be? I have my own toaster, next to theirs. I have my own butter and boxes of product that they know is JUST for me...but I rarely make stuff...I have gluten free toast in the am..

Should I not be making the kids sandwhiches with their bread and making sure he cleans up? (please say yes) hahahaha...;)

If he makes me pancakes, he makes mine THEN his after. I clean all dishes....

Never really worried about Cross contaminations....Ugh....Maybe I am not doing so good...

Juliebove Rising Star
I dont worry about that too much............Should I be? I have my own toaster, next to theirs. I have my own butter and boxes of product that they know is JUST for me...but I rarely make stuff...I have gluten free toast in the am..

Should I not be making the kids sandwhiches with their bread and making sure he cleans up? (please say yes) hahahaha...;)

If he makes me pancakes, he makes mine THEN his after. I clean all dishes....

Never really worried about Cross contaminations....Ugh....Maybe I am not doing so good...

If you are using the same pans for gluten and gluten free, that's not good! If he is making pancakes with wheat flour in your kitchen, he is spreading the gluten all around. If you are making sandwiches with regular bread, you are glutening yourself.

Kauk Rookie

Humm..we he doesnt use the same pan, of course. He uses a whole new pan.

I guess have a talk with hubby and explain what and why I can't do these things anymore. Means him being more strick and careful. We have lysol wipes, I suggested he use them after he makes sandwhiches and if he and the kisd have em HE wash those dishes and wash the sick after welll UGH...I am sure he'll love that...

He asked about Gloves? Could I to make the kids sandwhiches?

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I make my son and husband sandwhich and I don't seem to have a problem with it. I have my own mayo and butter but as far as touching regular bread no problem I just wash my hands after I am done. When making pancakes I only make gluten free that is the only flour I use any more.

munkee41182 Explorer

We pretty much are a gluten-free kitchen with the exception of our breads and pastas. We eat my snacks, my waffles, pancakes, bread crumbs etc. In the morning I make my lunch first then my fiance's. I have succumbed to being the only one who cooks when we decide to have pasta. The last time my fiance did...he used the pan I normally use for gluten-free pasta for his glutened pasta, and he cooked my pasta in the pan I use for his pasta. I told him he had to go out and buy me a new pan....he thought I was joking as i just went back on the gluten-free diet....but when he saw me printing out pans and their prices he knew I wasn't kidding. So he bought me a medium sized pan and put a tag around the end so he knows not to use it for his stuff. And for sandwiches, I ended up getting the squeeze bottled mayo so we don't double dip and also so I don't end up using about 6 knives when I need more butter or mayo on sandwiches, etc.

But I would definitely have him be more strict...you can't do this alone...and that's something you should tell him. I know the first time I broke down because of cross contamination I ended up telling my fiance that I can't do this alone.....and he started paying attention more, reading lables more, cleaning up more as well.

kbtoyssni Contributor
Humm..we he doesnt use the same pan, of course. He uses a whole new pan.

I guess have a talk with hubby and explain what and why I can't do these things anymore. Means him being more strick and careful. We have lysol wipes, I suggested he use them after he makes sandwhiches and if he and the kisd have em HE wash those dishes and wash the sick after welll UGH...I am sure he'll love that...

He asked about Gloves? Could I to make the kids sandwhiches?

Why not have the kids make their own sandwiches? If they're old enough, this could be a good chore for them to take over. Although that could result in a lot of scattered crumbs...

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator
Could you put your dirty gluten-free dishes in a bag in your own dish pan/storage container, to protect them until you get back home to wash them after classes? My dd moved to an apt. and lives with a slob. She can't even make something b/c all the pans are in the sink and the dishes in the dish washer...dirty. :angry: I cook food for her and freeze it, then get it to her (over an hour drive) so all she has to do is microwave it. Its fun cooking for her but its not fair b/c I bought all the kitchen stuff and she can't use it. :angry: When her lease is up she WILL have a new roommate! 8 months to go :blink:

you know, I never though of that!!! thanks! so far my roomie is pretty clean with dishes, but I will definitly be doing that if there are dishes in the sink. She already took one of my spoons I brought with me here :angry: but oh well, it's just a spoon, I'll make sure to put it them away next time immediatly after washing......grr

Archived