This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

And I Thought gluten-free/df Was Hard...just Added A Few More To My List

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

So, I went and had some allergy testing done. Don't even ask me what they did cuz I don't even know myself (and let me tell you how well that's going over with the hubby <_< ). But anyway, they came up with a few more things that my body apparently can't handle:

Soy (was kind of looking at this one already)

Flax (which means I have to stop taking my flax oil pills and figure out a way to make Lorka's flax bread "flax-free")

Sunflower seeds

Cashews (but no other nuts, which rocks cuz I love nuts)

Beans (already knew that one based on my reactions)

Citrus (waaaaah :( )

Canola Oil (so between the soy, sunflower and this, I have pretty much EVOO and coconut oil...frustrating)

They also told me I have parasites and other chemical sensitivities...but more on that later! Just looking for some help here ;) Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Not sure what help you are asking for, but since you focused on "oils" let me try.

I buy Chia oil for Omega 3's and Fish oil. Chia can be uses like flax in salad dressings and such. It has EVEN more Omega 3's than flax. :)

You can also buy hazelnut oil, macadamia nut oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil and sesame oil. All are delicious.

I try to "rotate" my oils. So I am familiar with all of these. If you have an "application" question with regards to one of these oils. Just ask!

I pretty much dont eat anything on your list (most due to intolerance and some cuz I dont like them) and I am eating DELICIOUS foods. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I'm not surprised about the canola, as I've read someplace that about 50% of those with Celiac can't have canola. I also find my gut doesn't do well with it, but IMO canola is a bad oil anyway, given the processing methods alone.

Personally, I like rice bran oil for cooking and baking. It has a smoke point of 490

codetalker Contributor

If you are reacting to beans, you may want to avoid cinnamon. Two and a half yrs ago, I developed a reaction to eggs, dairy, nuts, soy, beans, corn, potatoes, olives and cinnamon. The last one (cinnamon) seemed strange until I read on this list and elsewhere that most cinnamon in the U.S. is not true cinnamon and is from a legume.

Just a thought.

As a happy footnote, the extra allergies seem to be clearing up a bit. Potatoes, in particular, are less of a problem. I may actually have the "luxury" of just a gluten-free diet sometime in the future.

Probiotics appear to be helping as well as switching to distilled water. The latter has made a huge difference.

purple Community Regular
So, I went and had some allergy testing done. Don't even ask me what they did cuz I don't even know myself (and let me tell you how well that's going over with the hubby <_< ). But anyway, they came up with a few more things that my body apparently can't handle:

Flax (which means I have to stop taking my flax oil pills and figure out a way to make Lorka's flax bread "flax-free")

Sunflower seeds

Canola Oil (so between the soy, sunflower and this, I have pretty much EVOO and coconut oil...frustrating)

They also told me I have parasites and other chemical sensitivities...but more on that later! Just looking for some help here ;) Thanks in advance!

For the flax in bread, you might be able to sub almond meal, buckwheat and chia. You could try it with a combination of all 3....I just went to that recipe on recipezaar#190906 and someone said they used almond meal and it worked great.

Not sure what help you are asking for, but since you focused on "oils" let me try.

I buy Chia oil for Omega 3's and Fish oil. Chia can be uses like flax in salad dressings and such. It has EVEN more Omega 3's than flax. :)

You can also buy hazelnut oil, macadamia nut oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil and sesame oil. All are delicious.

I try to "rotate" my oils. So I am familiar with all of these. If you have an "application" question with regards to one of these oils. Just ask!

I pretty much dont eat anything on your list (most due to intolerance and some cuz I dont like them) and I am eating DELICIOUS foods. :)

Sorry, was posting late last night, wasn't thinking clearly :) Everything you wrote was helpful! Where do you get Chia oil? And which of the oils you use works best for what? Or does it matter?

I'm not surprised about the canola, as I've read someplace that about 50% of those with Celiac can't have canola. I also find my gut doesn't do well with it, but IMO canola is a bad oil anyway, given the processing methods alone.

Personally, I like rice bran oil for cooking and baking. It has a smoke point of 490

purple Community Regular
Sorry, was posting late last night, wasn't thinking clearly :) Everything you wrote was helpful! Where do you get Chia oil? And which of the oils you use works best for what? Or does it matter?

Where do you buy your rice bran oil? Probably just the health food store?

I have been tested for candida (skin prick test) and it was negative...who knows.

Know a good place where I can get REAL cinnamon? The test they did said I was ok to eat lima beans and lentils, as random as that is (never really ate either).

Awesome! Thanks, I will have to try that.

Another question - well, the test said I was intolerant to all dairy products EXCEPT butter. I'm a little hesitant to try it, but what do you all think?

Thanks for all your help everyone :) Had a good grieving moment last night, even though hubby didn't quite get it. I'm ready to take this on and start feeling healthy again!

Butter? I thought that was dairy :blink: , that doesn't make sense so be careful. I would sub it for awhile until you get better. I love to pop popcorn in coconut oil and if you use enuff you don't need any butter on it. Good for baking too from what I hear but I haven't tried it yet. I use it to fry onions and such all the time. Its a healthy fat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator
Where do you buy your rice bran oil? Probably just the health food store?

I have been tested for candida (skin prick test) and it was negative...who knows.

You might find rice bran oil at your health store. NOW Foods makes one, or you can get it online at www.californiariceoil.com.

I don't know if the test you had for candida is accurate. Try Open Original Shared Link and see how that goes.

Know a good place where I can get REAL cinnamon? The test they did said I was ok to eat lima beans and lentils, as random as that is (never really ate either).
Cinnamon is never made from a legume AFAIK. It can however, be from the bark of more than one species of tree.
Butter? I thought that was dairy :blink:
lol me too. i will probably give it some time before trying it out.
I love to pop popcorn in coconut oil and if you use enuff you don't need any butter on it. Good for baking too from what I hear but I haven't tried it yet. I use it to fry onions and such all the time. Its a healthy fat.

ooh, i'll have to try that. i have some "natural" popcorn (orville redenbacher brand i think) that is just corn, palm oil and salt. it's way good, definitely as good as buttery kinds imo! how do you fry your onions? i REALLY miss onion rings!

You might find rice bran oil at your health store. NOW Foods makes one, or you can get it online at www.californiariceoil.com.

hm, i'll have to make a trip to the health food store and look for it.

I don't know if the test you had for candida is accurate. Try Open Original Shared Link and see how that goes.

sounds good.

Cinnamon is never made from a legume AFAIK. It can however, be from the bark of more than one species of tree.

hm, that's interesting. don't think i've ever had a problem with it in any case, so guess it doesn't matter too much.

k, i just noticed that in my title (and subtitle) the beginning of almost every word is capitalized. i don't remember doing that. i WAS really tired when i posted...just thought it was very odd.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sunflower seeds

hemp oil, tea oil (not tea tree oil, tea oil - from republic of tea), and hazlenut oil have all been staples in my pantry, and look like they might be alright? (tea oil also has a much higher smoke pint than EVOO, which will give it a spot in pan frying and whatnot - pricey, but it has it's uses.)

I also use fish oil for omega-3's.

well, here's an update: all the more confusing, i went to a REAL allergist on friday, who did a skin prick test. he told me i am NOT allergic to anything. said i probably have celiac disease based on biopsy/blood results, and may just be lactose intolerant, and probably just got used to the lactaid pills i was taking at least once a day. so i feel even more confused now. he also told me i should probably go see my GI and have a full workup done there, to see if it's a pancreas/gall bladder thing that causes me to be sick when i eat certain foods.

i feel very frustrated...who do i believe? the homeopathic guys whose testing methods and answers are a little sketchy, or the allergist who told me what WASN'T wrong, but didn't really give me any more answers? *sigh*

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Seems like you're talking about two different types of "allergy" testing here.

True allergies are IgE mediated and this is what the "REAL" allergist would be testing. You may have NO true allergies (IgE) and yet still be "sensitive" to all kinds of foods....as well as other triggers.

I have ZERO true allergies......which means that my skin-prick tests are all negative and my IgE bloodwork is negative.

However, I do react to pretty much *everything*. In my case its not caused by any type of antibody reaction (either true allergy or IgG delayed onset intolerances). Its more of a metabolic problem caused by enzyme deficiencies.

I would say that its similar to lactose intolerance....in that there IS an actual intolerance to the foods.....however, it has nothing to do with antibody reactions of any kind. Lactose intolerance is caused by enzyme deficiency and is not an allergy.

All of my sensitivities do show up in alternative types of testing (such as EAV or muscle testing)......I'm not sure if thats the type of testing you had done?? Anyways....it cant be compared to true allergy testing.....they are two seperate things entirely.

This doesnt mean that true allergies wont show up in energetic testing.....just that if you dont have true allergies....what IS showing up are the foods that you're body is sensitive to (for whatever reason). It could be an enzyme issue...or a leaky gut issue....but these reactions are not true allergies.

Most *real* allergists do not believe in any type of intolerance or sensitivity....and they do not test for these. The homeopathic guy that you saw was looking at your body's response to various foods. It doesnt mean that you are allergic to them....therefore you will not test positive for those foods in allergy tests....even if you do *indeed* have problems with them.

What do you think?

Do you believe that you have problems with foods despite having NO true allergies??

Do you feel that you are fine eating these foods?

Ultimately you should listen to your body above all else. There is no type of food intolerance test which is 100% accurate. You probably do not have any true allergies but it doesnt mean that you have no problems with these foods.

mslee Apprentice

The Botanical name is they only way to know exactly what species of Cinnamon you are buying/consuming Real Cinnamon is listed as (Cinnamomum verum or cinnamomum zeylancium) With Cassia Cinnamon being known as (Cinnamon aromaticum)...

Botanical aka Latin names where given to plants to solve the problem of correct /& definite identification...ex there are thousands of types of "Daisy"

Here are some interesting links about cinnamon & spices:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I'm a plant nerd :P I was a Horticulturist before I got mysteriously very sick....Not getting my hopes up too much but keeping the fingers crossed this is all diet based. Something that is treatable and will eventually be understandable! The plant knowledge helps....

Finding it's alot more than Gluten making me sick: dairy, soy, sorghum, some nightshades are rearing their ugly heads. (pos corn and citrus too :( )

Yeah supposedly butter has the lowest casein content of all dairy so it is supposed to be ok if it has no additive or coloring, I put this to test yesterday....and "glutened" myself. Ghee Indian clarified butter is supposed to be lower yet than regular butter. I may try that down the road but have pretty much excepted that I will never enjoy dairy again.

I have an apt with at traditional allergist Thurs. will post results

I'm no expert I'm very new to Celiac but a basic understanding of biology and the plant world has been very helpful ;)

hang in there!

However, I do react to pretty much *everything*. In my case its not caused by any type of antibody reaction (either true allergy or IgG delayed onset intolerances). Its more of a metabolic problem caused by enzyme deficiencies.

I would say that its similar to lactose intolerance....in that there IS an actual intolerance to the foods.....however, it has nothing to do with antibody reactions of any kind. Lactose intolerance is caused by enzyme deficiency and is not an allergy.

All of my sensitivities do show up in alternative types of testing (such as EAV or muscle testing)......I'm not sure if thats the type of testing you had done?? Anyways....it cant be compared to true allergy testing.....they are two seperate things entirely.

How would I find out if I am responding due to an enzyme deficiency? What are EAV and muscle tests? And what exactly is leaky gut? I probably ought to do some reading on that, to see if that may be my problem.

Also, would you trust the homeopathic people and the supplements they want to put me on? Supposedly there is one to help w/ my "allergies", one to correct my system of my chemical/horomone imbalances/get rid of all the parasites I supposedly have, and one to detox. My husband is really nervous for me to take anything, especially when it involves horomones...but me, I'm about to the point where I'd try anything to help me feel better. Plus my dad is offering to pay for it all (my stepmom was the one who recommended I see these people).

What do you think?

Do you believe that you have problems with foods despite having NO true allergies??

Do you feel that you are fine eating these foods?

Ultimately you should listen to your body above all else. There is no type of food intolerance test which is 100% accurate. You probably do not have any true allergies but it doesnt mean that you have no problems with these foods.

I don't know what I think! I'm very confused/frustrated.

Yes, I do still think I react to some foods. My husband wants me to go have a full GI workup to see what else could be the cause of my reactions (at the request of the allergist).

Do you think I ought to do an elimination/reverse elimination diet?

Yeah supposedly butter has the lowest casein content of all dairy so it is supposed to be ok if it has no additive or coloring, I put this to test yesterday....and "glutened" myself. Ghee Indian clarified butter is supposed to be lower yet than regular butter. I may try that down the road but have pretty much excepted that I will never enjoy dairy again.

Still really nervous to try butter. Since seeing the allergist, I've started eating some dairy (mainly cheese), with lactaid of course. Trying not to take it as often (less than once a day), and not eat as much dairy. Only, on Friday night, we went out to a Mexican restaurant, and I got very sick afterward. Still not sure if it was gluten, or dairy overload (ate more than I've eaten at any one time this week).

This whole thing is SO annoying!

mftnchn Explorer

Some very good ideas here. I agree with Rachel about the types of allergy or intolerance tests.

I'm struck by several things you have said. Continued lactose intolerance, continued symptoms even after 2 years gluten-free. Might indicate healing has been delayed and not making enzymes. Check out Scott's newsletter Winter 2003 edition on healing. Notice that not just the enzyme for lactose but the others for other type of carbs can be a problem even after 2 years of healing.

Since you've had a biopsy in the past I would think that any other major GI issues would have been picked up at that time, although of course there's always that possibility. Based on my experience, the first thing I would do is seek a test to check for sugar in the stool. You shouldn't have any or much of any as it should be broken down to single molecules and absorbed in the small intestine. If you do, it shows the lack of the enzymes and infers healing hasn't progressed enough. The test I had was Rosmed, ordered by my MD. It was a whole gut panel. $200+ if I remember right and I couldn't send to insurance. Totally worth it though.

This fits with parasites too because the undigested sugars and starches are a major feeding source for all of these. They'll love staying around, LOL.

It also explains some of your intolerances, which is the other thing that struck me about your post. A number of the foods you reported intolerance to are hard to digest, or are contraindicated on the specific carbohydrate diet (which my doctor put me on due to the above problem) because they can't be broken down. On SCD you can't have soy, canola (I think), many legumes (but you *can* have lima beans and lentils though they are advanced foods). Seeds are considered very advanced foods, as are cashews which are supposed to be extremely hard to digest. On SCD you can't eat roasted cashews as roasting changes the starches to those that are not able to be broken down without the enzymes. There are some comments about flax in the SCD materials but I can't remember. So the only one on your list that maybe isn't addressed on SCD is citrus and maybe cinnamon.

Just a final comment on my own response--I have had a very positive response to this diet even after being gluten-free for 15 months prior to starting it. On the second day I passed a whole bunch of roundworms, and have seen other worms since. It has also had a cleansing effect--seeing mucoid stool early on, passing little bits of tissue, and ending up with much more normal stool although the amount is still inconsistent--sometimes hardly any. (I'm a big C person). I've had a huge improvement in energy level and brain fog. I have a lot of allergies too, and am hopeful over time these will improve and that I'll also make more progress with my lyme disease treatment.

Archived