This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Options For Lazy Cooks

Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA Contributor

It probably is something that I should just get over but when I see a recipe that tells me to mix four different kinds of flour my first instinct is to forget it. I know that the Pamela's website has some recipes using their baking mix. Can I use that in any Bisquick recipe if the other ingredients are gluten free?

I've used Pamela's mix a lot for quick shortcuts and ended up with acceptable but not great results. For example:

1) Bake a double quantity of the waffle recipe in a 9x13 pan for 30 minutes cut it into six sections, slice and use for sandwiches. (When I don't have three hours for the bread machine cycle).

2) Make a waffle and cut in half, cool and then use for a sandwich (When I don't have the 30 minutes for item 1)

3) Reduce waffle recipe by 1/3 and use to top the "Upside down pizza casserole" listed on this board.

I guess I'd like this to become a thread with short-cut tips using mixes similar to the concept in the "Cake Doctor" books where each recipe starts with a box mix and is enhanced.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Not quite what I think you're looking for, but I use Pamela's baking mix for almost anything I would use flour for. Breading onion rings, biscuits, you name it. I have found that it is very similar to Bisquick except for one thing, it can't hold up size wise. Everything I made with it I make small so that it doesn't get crumbly or start breaking.

It also works great as a gravy thickener, I like it better than straight white rice flour because of the flavor. The almond meal seems to complement everything.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

What do you want to use it for? There's a recipe on the website for a yeastless bread that's supposed to be pretty quick, I was going to try it tonight and see how it turns out. What kinds of recips are you looking for? I use it for EVERYTHING (except yeast breads). All my muffins, quick breads, cakes, cookies, pie crust....... I haven't tried the bisquick recipe on the website so I'm not sure how it turns out, but based on my experience--all the recipes I've tried and love. Mostly I alter my regular recipes. I agree with you though, if I see a recipe with 4-8 different flours listed, I won't even try it!

Anyway, if you want specific types of recipes, let me know.

For my shortcuts, this is what I do:

Any recipe (as described above), I sub the Pamela's straight across for the flour. I omit any salt, baking soda, baking powder (and xanthan gum if using a gluten-free recipe). I cut the fat (butter, oil, etc...) BY 2/3-always.

For example (my chocolate chip cookie recipe):

2.5c ap flour

1tsp baking soda

1tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1c butter

1c bn sugar

1/2c white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2c choco chips

turns into

1/3c butter

1c bn sugar

1/2 c white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2.5c pamelas

2c chocolate chips

less measuring, less time=more better!! :D

I also make up a bunch of extra pancakes and use them for sandwiches. I've done the waffle thing too, but this is a little less messy and more compact (but I have a Belgian waffle iron)

purple Community Regular

Perfect for this:

Open Original Shared Link

Mexican Pie

The next time you make tacos, make some extra ingredients then make the pie with the leftovers. Only takes 20 minutes to bake. Very easy! I am looking for recipes to use a bisquick sub with. I have 3 little Bisquick books I am looking to convert to gluten-free. That's where I found the recipe for the Upsidedown Pizza Recipe and for this one:

Bacon cheeeseburger upsidedown pizza

Tim-n-VA Contributor
For my shortcuts, this is what I do:

Any recipe (as described above), I sub the Pamela's straight across for the flour. I omit any salt, baking soda, baking powder (and xanthan gum if using a gluten-free recipe). I cut the fat (butter, oil, etc...) BY 2/3-always.

Thank for that one. I tried the same process on an apple-nut bread recipe but didn't reduce the fat and it had weird texture but still a pretty good taste. Next time I'll reduce the fat.

My only concern with this is that my wife has a diagnosed allergy to pecans and walnuts and by extension just tries to avoid all nuts. She has ate the pancakes with no reaction before we noticed the almonds so I suspect the almonds are different enough that she doesn't react but that is obviously her choice.

I know a lot of these things are already on the site so a link to another post might be better (as Purple did). I was just trying to make it easy for others (and me - I said I'm a lazy cook) to find the recipes that are mix based versus a flour blend.

Thank for that one. I tried the same process on an apple-nut bread recipe but didn't reduce the fat and it had weird texture but still a pretty good taste. Next time I'll reduce the fat.

My only concern with this is that my wife has a diagnosed allergy to pecans and walnuts and by extension just tries to avoid all nuts. She has ate the pancakes with no reaction before we noticed the almonds so I suspect the almonds are different enough that she doesn't react but that is obviously her choice.

I know a lot of these things are already on the site so a link to another post might be better (as Purple did). I was just trying to make it easy for others (and me - I said I'm a lazy cook) to find the recipes that are mix based versus a flour blend.

I'm fine with posting my recipes here. Here's my favorite-and one I make at least once a week with different variations:

Muffins

3 mashed bananas OR 2c pumpkin puree OR 2c applesauce OR 2c shredded zucchini (with moisture squeezed out)

3/4c egg whites or 4 whole eggs

1/4c sugar

1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

2c Pamelas

1/2c mini chocolate chips-optional

(NO OIL)

mix 1st 4 ingredients well, mix in Pamelas and chocolate chips

bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes-in sprayed muffin tins (filled at least 3/4 full)

roughly 100 calories per muffin--12 muffins per batch

also super easy-

Shortbread

1/3c butter-very soft

1/4c sugar

1c Pamelas

Mix together, pat out into a circle-or whatever-on parchment, bake 350 time depends on how thick the dough and how big your "shape" start at 5 minutes and check evey few minutes, cut immediately but leave on parchment to cool and firm up. Watch out, it's addicting!

--I also use this for my pie crust but decrease sugar to 2 tbs

missy'smom Collaborator

Here's one using Pamela's. I brought it to an even of all gluten-eaters and they loved it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Here's one using Pamela's. I brought it to an even of all gluten-eaters and they loved it.

I'm totally trying that, that looks amazing!!

Archived