This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Been Gluten Free Now Need To Go Dairy Free

clnewberry1

clnewberry1 Contributor

I need to also go dairy free (I also have a yeast intolerance) I have been using rice, almond, coconut milk with huge success. I have used Ghee and smart balance, and earth balance as butter.

I however need a subsitute for chedder, mozzerella, and parmesan. I have hyperthyroidism and need to stay away from soy. No intolerance to it so I can have it in moderation. I was just hoping to find a non-soy cheese.

Anyone here know of any good brands I could try. I just tried goats milk cheese and OMG did it taste terrible. Gross!!

I love love love chocolate too.

Is there anyone here that is gluten, dairy, and yeast free? I would like to talk to you some more.

Crystal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Not yeast free hear, but I am gluten and dairy free.

Can't really help on the cheese front - I don't bother with it. (Oh goodness yes I miss it, but goat/sheep/buffalo also don't agree with me, even though I *DO* like goat cheese. It's an acquired taste. ;) )

Some dairy subs are best made yourself - check out some raw cookbooks for the sorts of things you'd like. (For instance, finely ground raw cashews with a bit of lemon juice, dill and salt may be able to serve as parmesean cheese. Sounds odd, I know, but that's how I make my "ranch" dressing - raw chashews, lemon juice or vinegar, salt, and some herbs.)

They make Gluten-free Casein-free cheeses, but I've never liked the taste or ingredient list. I'm not sure if I've seen them without nutritional yeast, as that is a very common additive to give a "cheesy" flavor. (Others here will have recommendations for cheeses they use. Everyone's tastebuds are different, so just because I think they taste *WRONG*, doesn't mean anything objectively. :) )

As for chocolate, there are a whole lot of dairy free chocolates - most good dark chocolates. (By "good" I don't mean Ghiradhelli. I mean artisan. :) ) It's worth trying to figure out if you can tolerate small quantities of milk fat, which shouldn't have casein in it, but I just expect to have very small levels of contamination. Some "store brand" chocolates - Dove, for instance - makes dark chocolate that is CF except for the contamination in the milk fat. You have to decide if that's too much for you.

Of course, there are vast quantities of other (better) kinds of dark chocolate without dairy (or soy), and if you want suggestions, let me know. (If you say "but dark chocolate is too bitter", I used to agree with you. It is definitely an acquired taste, and it helps if you change the way you eat chocolate - small, tiny bits at a time to melt in the mouth, not chew and swallow. I had to go from milk to dark chocolate when I went dairy free, and I can't imagine going back. Milk chocolate - which I've gotten by accident before - tastes vile to me now, even the good stuff.)

There are also two companies that make Gluten-free Casein-free milk chocolate from rice milk (Trader Joes carries one "unique" one and Terra Nostra). They're not bad.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Enjoy life chocolate chips are DELICIOUS and allergen-free, no gluten, dairy, or soy. They're tiny, too, so they're great for baking with as they don't fall down to the bottom.

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

for chocolate, go here:

Open Original Shared Link

gluten, dairy soy free. I have eaten POUNDS of it with no problems (I think it all settled into my left thigh, lol!).

Enjoy life chips are the best for baking with (available on this site) (shameless plug, lol!).

There is a gluten/soy/casein free shopping guide available in the gluten-free mall as well. I am sure you found it already, but it might have a good suggestion for a cheese substitute in it. Good luck hope you feel better soon!

purple Community Regular
I need to also go dairy free (I also have a yeast intolerance) I have been using rice, almond, coconut milk with huge success. I have used Ghee and smart balance, and earth balance as butter.

I however need a subsitute for chedder, mozzerella, and parmesan. I have hyperthyroidism and need to stay away from soy. No intolerance to it so I can have it in moderation. I was just hoping to find a non-soy cheese.

Anyone here know of any good brands I could try. I just tried goats milk cheese and OMG did it taste terrible. Gross!!

I love love love chocolate too.

Is there anyone here that is gluten, dairy, and yeast free? I would like to talk to you some more.

Crystal

How about a gluten-free/df CHOCOLATE cake?

Open Original Shared Link

I use Saco or Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and add 3/4 cup chips.

AliB Enthusiast

I am gluten, dairy and yeast free too and have had health issues for over 35 years.

I realised very rapidly after going gluten-free that it was only part of the picture and that I hadn't really been able to tolerate dairy very well for years, or carbs either, so I have had to cut right down on those too.

I went gluten-free and DF around the end Jan and started the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) in April and have gradually been healing. Whereas there was very little that my digestion could cope with back then, now I can eat a lot more, even occasional dairy, without issue, and no longer react to gluten although I will not consume it until a much later stage, and then only as an occasional treat rather than an every day thing.

Certain cheeses are permitted on the SCD, and good home-made 24 hour yogurt which can be made with cows or goats milk or even nut milks (coconut is good). Although I couldn't cope with dairy in general (apart from butter which is mostly fat), I have always been able to cope fairly well, and even more so now my gut is healing, with the yogurt made with cows or goats milk as the long fermentation digests all the lactose and changes the casein into a more tolerable form.

I am so grateful to have found the SCD. There are quite a few of us on here who are following it, with an SCD thread on this section for mutual support and encouragement. We are all benefitting from it in different ways.

It is not an overnight success, but gives the body the chance and the time to heal, however long it takes. Most see results of some kind within the first month or even two weeks which is enough to convince them that they are on the right track.

If you would like to know more, please ask on the thread, or you are welcome to PM me at any time.

Ali.

Nancym Enthusiast

I found it best not to try to substitute around cheese, just give it up. The cheese substitutes are loaded with things I'd rather not put into my body.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived