This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bread

puggirl

puggirl Apprentice

Hey everyone... I found some Gluten Free bread called Kininki(spelling?) you know what i mean.... anyway It tastes ok when its thawed and toasted with Pnut and jam.... anyway I had some the other morning and after I ate it I Had the worst headache alllll day! I was just wondering if anyone else has had simalar simptoms? let me know... thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I eat their donuts without problems and I am very sensitive. Are you sure your spreads were safe?

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

If your PB and jam were ever used by a gluten-eater, there are probably gluteny bread crumbs from the knife/spoon in them. Most people spread some PB on their bread, and then put the crumby knife back in the PB to get more, leaving crumbs in the PB.

You could have your own, CLEARLY LABELED GLUTEN-FREE PB, or ask everyone to be careful not to double-dip (but that practically never happens, everyone always forgets after 3 days).

The bread is made by Kinnikinnick. It's probably the best of the easily available commercial gluten-free breads.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
Hey everyone... I found some Gluten Free bread called Kininki(spelling?) you know what i mean.... anyway It tastes ok when its thawed and toasted with Pnut and jam.... anyway I had some the other morning and after I ate it I Had the worst headache alllll day! I was just wondering if anyone else has had simalar simptoms? let me know... thanks

Does this happen everytime you have tried the bread?

I agree with the last post on the dedicated PB and Jelly jars. My husband has one with his name on it and I have one with G F on it and sometimes put a sticker on it so it shows up on the lid (something fun haha).

I use to get that bread in the beginning when I was still learning what other ingredients and things I had a problem with. I kept feeling sick and funny in my head/head ach... Later figured out I couldn't have tapioca flour/starch. There is a possibility that you cannot tollerate one of the ingredients. Just a thought :)

Hope you figure it out and feel better.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Another possibility: what are you drinking when you eat your sandwich?

If it's milk, perhaps you need to be (at least, temporarily) dairy-free. Many of us couldn't tolerate dairy products at the beginning of a gluten-free diet, as our intestines had not yet healed (the villi, which are damaged by gluten, are what produce the lactase enzyme, that digests the lactose in dairy). Some celiacs can't ever go back to dairy; many can. I'd guess that it might have something to do with how long your intestines were being damaged by gluten, but it's probably more complicated than that.

puggirl Apprentice

Hey thanks for your replies! Sorry I double posted... But yeah I did you the jam that I have used on reg. bread before I went gluten free so I didnt really think about that. I drank water with the toast. Ill have to test it again sometime... to see if I have any symptoms.

puggirl Apprentice

well I tried some donuts from the same company this morning I only ate like 2 bits and I started getting a headache in the same place where I had a headache from the Bread. SO it must be something in there mix. that really sucks that I found something that I can eat and it jacks me up! bummer..... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Their entire company/operation is gluten-free, so it has to be something other than a gluten thing.

Good luck!

Archived