This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Many Here Are Allergic/intolerant To Rice Also?

3groovygirls

3groovygirls Contributor

Just curious! A friend of mine with Celiacs said he was told up to 1/3 of people with it are also allergic to and/or intolerant of rice.

My DD is very highly allergic to rice (immediate vomiting) but I had no idea it was so common. Honestly he seems to be the only other person like her that I've heard of. If it was so common why would all gluten-free foods be made with rice flour!?!?

So I was wondering!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast
Just curious! A friend of mine with Celiacs said he was told up to 1/3 of people with it are also allergic to and/or intolerant of rice.

My DD is very highly allergic to rice (immediate vomiting) but I had no idea it was so common. Honestly he seems to be the only other person like her that I've heard of. If it was so common why would all gluten-free foods be made with rice flour!?!?

So I was wondering!

It is very common for people to be intolerant of other foods, particularly carbs - corn, soy and rice among them.

A lot cannot digest carbs properly and gut damage will often predispose people to Leaky Gut syndrome which allows particles through into the bloodstream that shouldn't be there, setting up further intolerances and allergic reactions.

I believe that for most, if not all of us with intolerances the damage is actually caused by gut dysbiosis and rogue microbes - yeasts, bacteria or parasites that feed on the carbs and throw out toxins that give us many and varied reactions (Candida for instance can give out over 70 known toxins!).

What commonly happens is that an individual will drop gluten-based carbs, feel a bit better for a while then gradually start to develop an intolerance to another carb source, maybe corn or soy, or as in your friends' and daughter's case, rice. I believe what is happening is that with the removal of gluten the microbes die back temporarily, then 'regroup', adapt to another food source (what they adapt to may well depend on what they are), and come back with a vengeance.

Because gluten-free foods are typically very high in carbs, unfortunately they can often make things worse for some.

Quite a few of us, frustrated with similar issues and unable to find any remedy, are now following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) with good results, because it cuts out all the problematic foods in one fell swoop so the little beggars have nowhere to go for food.

All grains, starches and some dairy will keep the cycle of damage going. If you remove rice, they will adapt to something else and the next one may be corn or soy, so where does it end? By taking them all away, it solves the problem. There is plenty to eat in good wholesome nourishing meat, fish, poultry, fruit, veg, nuts, honey and good home-made yogurt for probiotic support and that will give us all the nutrients we need (although some like to supplement for a while at least until the body has started to heal and is starting to reabsorb the nutrients)

There is a thread on the forum in the 'Other Food Intolerances' section, an SCD recipes thread in the 'Recipes' section and two good sites are 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' with lots of info and recipes.

Just out of interest, has your daughter been given antibiotics in the past?

3groovygirls Contributor

Yes, my daughter has had antibioitics! Actually she's allergic to all penecillians - not anaphylactic, she gets this horrid red spotty rash all over her body. I'm so intrigued now - are the two related?

I have NO clue if my DD is going to have the Celiacs gene or it's just a wheat allergy, but the more I read the more I wonder if it isn't Celiacs. Like I just read that Celiacs can cause children to break bones easier if it's undiagnosed. Well, she broke her femur when she was 14 months old falling off the bed! I thought it was odd b/c it was a really low bed but figured things happen.

Then also I have chronic kidney stones that are SUCH a nuisance, so I googled it and people with untreated Celiacs have a much, much higher likelyhood of kidney stones. THEN my grandmother couldn't have any more children after my mother, she just had constant miscarriages. She was a super tiny woman just like I am and my DD's are. So it makes me think, maybe we're not tiny maybe none of us are absorbing our food! Maybe her m/c were b/c she was Celiacs and that is the cause of my kidney stones.

I probably think all that but her test will come back negative next week, LOL!!!

But thank you or your post that makes sense!! Also tell me about how the antibiotics fit in!

AliB Enthusiast

Antibiotics are, amongst other drugs and substances one of the most likely suspects in gut dysbiosis. It stands to reason really. They kill the bad guys, but on the way they kill the good ones too. The good bacteria is there for gut and immune support and as a defense mechanism to protect us from the pathogens.

People with good gut flora do not get sick. They do not catch cold. They do not go down with food poisoning - because the good guys stop them, and viruses before they get a hold. Without them we are stuffed.

If your Mother before you had health issues, then she would not have good gut flora to pass on to you, and you would not have it to pass on to your children. Antibiotics just decimate what is left.

It is only now - 80 years after Alexander Fleming created Penicillin that the Medical fraternity has finally woken up to the damage caused by the years of wrong, and over-prescription of Antibiotics - the very thing that Fleming advised against right back then. Duh!

That is why we are seeing so many AB-resistant bacterial infections springing up now, like MRSA and C.Diff, because the 'willy-nilly' dishing out of the things has resulted in stronger strains of the bacteria.

Most people, like I was, are given ABs as a child for basic childhood infections like Earache - most of which actually clear up just as well, and as quickly, on their own when we let the immune system do its job.

A course of ABs, in destroying the protectors then leaves us vulnerable to further infections and so the cycle gets repeated, each time resulting in worse infections and more resistant bacteria.

So what to do about it? We have to give the immune system back the support it needs and rebuild the gut flora.

That is why the SCD works so well. It does not further burden the body with 'junk' food but supports it with all natural unadulterated produce. It removes the foods that feed the pathogens. It encourages the 'reflorestation' of the gut with good probiotics in the form of home-made, long-cultured yogurt and helps the body heal. The healing process then allows the body to start reabsorbing nutrients properly that the body needs to repair itself.

Our bodies are amazing. Their powers of self-healing are fantastic - if we give them the chance.

We have been programmed into relying on Doctors when we get sick, but in reality they are just patching the holes we make in ourselves. Just as with a home, our bodies need good house-keeping. We can't keep throwing rubbish down our throats and expect our bodies to carry on regardless. Sooner or later it will catch up. As someone said in a book I read, if your bin is full of flies, its no good just spraying the flies, you have to clean out the bin!

We are absolutely surrounded by 'rubbish'. Food that is not just 'empty' calories, but actually 'negative' calories. The 'food' draws valuable resources away from the body and fills it with toxins. Many of us eat little in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables - foods that in their raw state are full of vitality, nutrients and enzymes. People think that if they drink 'fresh' carton or bottled juice that it is good for them. No it isn't. The enzymes are gone, many of the nutrients are gone and the stuff is almost pure sugar with little benefit. Only by juicing fruit and veg fresh can we capture the vitality and the best form of all is in the whole fruit and veg in its entirety.

Sorry. I will get down off my soap-box! I just get so frustrated at it all - that we - and I include myself in that as I was there most of my life too - are just so trusting that we believe everything we are told, despite the fact that most of it is a load of rubbish.

It wasn't until my digestion collapsed that I woke up and smelled the 'coffee' and realised what is going on. All the health claims are not worth the paper they are written on. They are designed for one thing, and one thing only - to sell their products to unsuspecting and gullible punters.

So yes, that is why I asked if your daughter has had antibiotics!

PS. My personal belief is that 'Celiac' is just a different manifestation of the gut dysbiosis and pathogenic activity. These little beggars, and their toxic by-products can affect any part of the body, causing any type of health issue. Gut damage prevents proper absorption of nutrients and that will certainly impact on cell repair and support and will contribute to the health issues. Gut damage can lead to 'Leaky Gut' triggering further allergies and/or intolerances and so the cycle goes on.

It is only by allowing the body to heal properly that we can hope to get any relief and recovery. Many have found that by following the SCD their health issues have much improved, or even gone. After 9 months on the SCD I am no longer gluten intolerant and my body is now reabsorbing much better. I will not return to a totally 'normal' diet because I now know that it is very damaging.

PPS. Read my signature and you will see that my Mother had the same problem with pregnancy as your Grandmother. Snap!

3groovygirls Contributor

Huh! that is really really interesting!! On one hand I can look at it and say YES it fits Violet! She has 2 older sisters so she was very sick as a tiny infant. (It was her oldest sisters first year in preschool when she was born so she brought EVERYTHING home). She had RSV twice as a tiny baby and since she's allergic to penecillian she had to take Zithromax each time. That stuff kills everything! Buuuut.....in all honesty her sensitivity was there from the day she was born, before she had antibiotics. She was so sensitive if I ate whole wheat and nursed her she'd projectile vomit.

But still it's really interesting! I think there are very good times to use antibiotics but you're right people definetly overuse them now!

Antibiotics are, amongst other drugs and substances one of the most likely suspects in gut dysbiosis. It stands to reason really. They kill the bad guys, but on the way they kill the good ones too. The good bacteria is there for gut and immune support and as a defense mechanism to protect us from the pathogens.

People with good gut flora do not get sick. They do not catch cold. They do not go down with food poisoning - because the good guys stop them, and viruses before they get a hold. Without them we are stuffed.

If your Mother before you had health issues, then she would not have good gut flora to pass on to you, and you would not have it to pass on to your children. Antibiotics just decimate what is left.

It is only now - 80 years after Alexander Fleming created Penicillin that the Medical fraternity has finally woken up to the damage caused by the years of wrong, and over-prescription of Antibiotics - the very thing that Fleming advised against right back then. Duh!

That is why we are seeing so many AB-resistant bacterial infections springing up now, like MRSA and C.Diff, because the 'willy-nilly' dishing out of the things has resulted in stronger strains of the bacteria.

Most people, like I was, are given ABs as a child for basic childhood infections like Earache - most of which actually clear up just as well, and as quickly, on their own when we let the immune system do its job.

A course of ABs, in destroying the protectors then leaves us vulnerable to further infections and so the cycle gets repeated, each time resulting in worse infections and more resistant bacteria.

So what to do about it? We have to give the immune system back the support it needs and rebuild the gut flora.

That is why the SCD works so well. It does not further burden the body with 'junk' food but supports it with all natural unadulterated produce. It removes the foods that feed the pathogens. It encourages the 'reflorestation' of the gut with good probiotics in the form of home-made, long-cultured yogurt and helps the body heal. The healing process then allows the body to start reabsorbing nutrients properly that the body needs to repair itself.

Our bodies are amazing. Their powers of self-healing are fantastic - if we give them the chance.

We have been programmed into relying on Doctors when we get sick, but in reality they are just patching the holes we make in ourselves. Just as with a home, our bodies need good house-keeping. We can't keep throwing rubbish down our throats and expect our bodies to carry on regardless. Sooner or later it will catch up. As someone said in a book I read, if your bin is full of flies, its no good just spraying the flies, you have to clean out the bin!

We are absolutely surrounded by 'rubbish'. Food that is not just 'empty' calories, but actually 'negative' calories. The 'food' draws valuable resources away from the body and fills it with toxins. Many of us eat little in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables - foods that in their raw state are full of vitality, nutrients and enzymes. People think that if they drink 'fresh' carton or bottled juice that it is good for them. No it isn't. The enzymes are gone, many of the nutrients are gone and the stuff is almost pure sugar with little benefit. Only by juicing fruit and veg fresh can we capture the vitality and the best form of all is in the whole fruit and veg in its entirety.

Sorry. I will get down off my soap-box! I just get so frustrated at it all - that we - and I include myself in that as I was there most of my life too - are just so trusting that we believe everything we are told, despite the fact that most of it is a load of rubbish.

It wasn't until my digestion collapsed that I woke up and smelled the 'coffee' and realised what is going on. All the health claims are not worth the paper they are written on. They are designed for one thing, and one thing only - to sell their products to unsuspecting and gullible punters.

So yes, that is why I asked if your daughter has had antibiotics!

PS. My personal belief is that 'Celiac' is just a different manifestation of the gut dysbiosis and pathogenic activity. These little beggars, and their toxic by-products can affect any part of the body, causing any type of health issue. Gut damage prevents proper absorption of nutrients and that will certainly impact on cell repair and support and will contribute to the health issues. Gut damage can lead to 'Leaky Gut' triggering further allergies and/or intolerances and so the cycle goes on.

It is only by allowing the body to heal properly that we can hope to get any relief and recovery. Many have found that by following the SCD their health issues have much improved, or even gone. After 9 months on the SCD I am no longer gluten intolerant and my body is now reabsorbing much better. I will not return to a totally 'normal' diet because I now know that it is very damaging.

PPS. Read my signature and you will see that my Mother had the same problem with pregnancy as your Grandmother. Snap!

AliB Enthusiast

Babies guts are apparently sterile before they are born. They start to ingest bacteria the moment they enter the world and a considerable amount of that comes from the mother. If the baby is breast-fed he will acquire bacteria through the breast milk, but if bottle fed the bacteria will be different.

We are kind of damned if we do and damned if we don't in this situation. A mother with already compromised flora passes on the same poor flora (and pathogens) to her baby in her milk and a baby who is bottle-fed will not acquire the right mix of flora either.

Your family history seems to indicate that the poor gut flora issue stems at least right back to your grandmother, if not further.

I am probably of your mothers' age so your grandmothers' health and fertility issues will equate with my Mum's - she was born in 1935. Antibiotics were first launched on the unsuspecting world around 1928 and I am sure that it is no coincidence that many of our modern health issues have appeared since then.

Celiac was known of before then, but in latter years it, and gluten intolerance in general has just become endemic. Both our son and daughter have health issues that are almost certainly food-linked as do our 2 young grandsons.

I don't decry the need for antibiotics when appropriate, but so often they are given when totally unnecessary, the wrong type is given, or for the wrong amount of time - I have a friend who, in her 20's was put on them for 14 months (14 months!!!). If 2 courses at the most does not clear up an infection then it has to be looked into. As a consequence, now in her fifties, she has spent the last 20 years of her life constantly struggling with one health issue after another. Her immune system is absolutely trashed.

Only just recently I have seen a report that some of our local hospitals have decided to give patients probiotics before and during their stay to give their bodies and immune systems support to try and fight some of the hospital-acquired bugs like MRSA and C.Diff. Why, oh why has it only taken them 80 years to figure that out???

That is the important thing - not to give people Anti (against) Biotics that destroy, but Pro (for) Biotics to build up - we need to be building the immune system up to protect against pathogens, then we would be far less likely to get them in the first place and need the destructive antibiotics at all.

I used to catch everything going. Since I have been taking the probiotics, and vitamin and mineral supplements, apart from a couple slightly rough days everything so far this Winter has passed me by. My husband has been laid very low for over 2 weeks with a bad chest and cough but I have been fine. It does work, but can I persuade him to eat yogurt! You'd think I was offering him sewage!

• 2 weeks later...
ilikepie Apprentice

Rice didn't come up on my allergy test, but I do feel better without it. It makes my skin very unhappy when I eat it. It gets all bumpy. The worst is eczema especially around my hairline and on my face, and cystic acne. As soon as I cut it out, the acne went away, and the eczema is MUCH better. With time I'm hoping cutting out rice clears it up completely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julirama723 Contributor

For some reason I can't eat rice, but seem to handle rice flour just fine. The grains of rice go through me like glass and come out totally undigested. I haven't had problems yet with rice flour, though I admit I haven't eaten much of it. (I made Christmas cookies that contained rice flour and they gave me no problems whatsoever.)

rinne Apprentice

It took me two years to admit that I couldn't handle any grains, rice included, but now I kick myself because the SCD is so much better for me and I hadn't wanted to try it because it meant giving up grains. :lol::( I guess I am kind of slow. :lol::ph34r:

I agree with Ali, lots of good information there!

Archived