This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Menu Planning Software

hhdavid

hhdavid Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone here uses any kind of menu planning software? I am having a hard time organizing my meals with my shopping list, and I was wondering if there was software (free is good) available to help me with this, particularly one that I could copy recipes into and then plan weekly menus. I come home from the store with fresh meats, vegetables, rice, fruit, etc. then when it comes time to cook meals, I end up cooking the same things over and over again. :huh: The kids are getting a little aggravated.... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

I don't use software, but I have a shopping suggestion. My parents have a list they made in xcel that has all the common stuff they buy (like milk, eggs, bananas, canned veggies, etc) with lots of spaces to fill in the things they don't buy frequently. They just circle the common stuff if they need it and write in other things. The list is organized in the order they walk down the aisles so veggies first, than canned goods and dairy last so they don't have to retrace their steps because they missed things.

hhdavid Apprentice

I'll try that! I'm constantly forgetting something as the brain fog hasn't lifted completely yet. :blink:

sbj Rookie

I can't recommend the below site, or vouch for the software, or say that there are no viruses or other gotchas - so beware . . . But the link purports to offer for free what you are after (click on Download in left column):

Open Original Shared Link

Try at your own risk and let us know if it works!

"1) Electronic Cookbook - Simply tell Cook'n what ingredients you have on hand and in seconds, Cook'n will suggest several delicious recipes.

2) Recipe Manager - Organizing your family recipe collection in the computer is easy with Cook'n.

3) Menu Planner - Combine recipes and food items to make complete meals. Then, drag and drop meals to make your own weekly or monthly menus.

4) Grocery Shopping Assistant - Cook'n automatically combines the food on your menus and makes a grocery shopping list.

5) Personal Home Nutritionist - Analyze the nutritional elements of recipes and menus. "

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I have my grocery list like kbtoyssni's parents, and on the reverse side, I have meals organized into categories. (I used to have them by cassarole, soup, baked etc., but recently, I switched to options for each night of the week due to brain fog).

Then each week before grocery shopping, I circle the meals I want to make, then flip the page over and circle the ingredients I need. Then I circle everything else I think I want at the grocery store. Finally, I pass the list to hubby who circles his snacks and hygine needs.

Before going gluten-free, when I was in a rut, Iwould give hubby the menu list first and have him circle his requests before I rounded out the week.

This helps me spend less on produce at the grocery store, keeps me out of a rut, and helps me have the correct meat thawed for the meal I want to make. I can also use all the leftover meat in a meal I have scheduled later in the week. I also make doubles of everything so I can take leftovers for lunch at work. Soups are quadrupled so I can freeze them for thawing on busy days. My Saturday/Sunday options include choices that would be appropriate for guests as well. For example, I have Chicken Marsala, Hot Pepper stuffed Chicken, Roasted Chix and Potatoes, and BBQ chicken as options. If I cook for just hubby and I, I just throw all the ingredients in the pan and "shimmel" it up on the stovetop. If I'm having company, I cook it the right way. Sunday has Potato/Sausage Cassarole, Green Bean & Rice Cassarole, And some other cassarole I forget. With company, I would just fancy it up and serve nice salads etc. Friday is Grill night. Monday is Crock pot soup. Taco night does not have other options. I love tacos. Wednesay is Breakfast I list 3 different breakfast options and just circle the one I want to plan for that week.

I try to stick to the plan because I can get hubby to defrost and steam rice for me. But sometimes we move things around for one reason or another. It seems to be working pretty well for me. I also don't limit myself to only what is on the grocery list. If there is a good meat sale or my Laura bars go on sale, I will stock up.

Good luck getting out of the rut. If you think of something yummy and easy, post it. We would all like a new dish.

purple Community Regular

Here is a little sample of what you might be looking for:

Thanks for your question. I went to kill.the.gluten to find the above menu/grocery list for you and saw on their blog:

(go there for a fun surprise!!!)

FUN! WOW! YUM!

and their own recipes are great too, forgot to mention that ;) The brownie recipe is the best but I would advise you to only make 1/2 a recipe b/c otherwise you will eat the whole batch!

I got sidetracked with the link above and forgot to post this:

she lists a menu you could get ideas from and she usually posts them on here under the cooking/baking section. Look for Rissaroos weekly menu.

hhdavid Apprentice

sbj, I will definitely check out that software. I'm looking that site over and seeing what the different programs have as far as storing the recipes, making shopping lists, and making menus. The one you posted looks like it would be great for all of that! (I'll scan it as I download it.) ;)

SGWhiskers, yes, that is exactly what I need to do. And breakfast one night a week sounds good!

purple, you just made my day! I saw that post over on kill.the.gluten, and I was like, Oh My God, I can't believe it! And I was just in WMart at the end of the flour aisle looking lovingly at the BC and DH mixes, and then I grabbed some Gluten Free Pantry Brownie Mix! :D

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! I'll need all the help I can get until the brain fog lifts! My DD#2 helps me with shopping right now. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
sbj, I will definitely check out that software. I'm looking that site over and seeing what the different programs have as far as storing the recipes, making shopping lists, and making menus. The one you posted looks like it would be great for all of that! (I'll scan it as I download it.) ;)

SGWhiskers, yes, that is exactly what I need to do. And breakfast one night a week sounds good!

purple, you just made my day! I saw that post over on kill.the.gluten, and I was like, Oh My God, I can't believe it! And I was just in WMart at the end of the flour aisle looking lovingly at the BC and DH mixes, and then I grabbed some Gluten Free Pantry Brownie Mix! :D

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! I'll need all the help I can get until the brain fog lifts! My DD#2 helps me with shopping right now. B)

I missed you by 5 minutes, I just added to my previous reply.

hhdavid Apprentice

Thanks, purple! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for finding these for me. :) I appreciate it so much.

Helen

purple Community Regular
Thanks, purple! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for finding these for me. :) I appreciate it so much.

Helen

You are welcome ;)

I read your list of illnesses and I am so sorry you have so much to deal with! I hope you feel better soon!

hhdavid Apprentice
You are welcome ;)

I read your list of illnesses and I am so sorry you have so much to deal with! I hope you feel better soon!

purple, thank you so much. I'll be gluten-free for one month on the 15th, and I feel much better already. It's a long list of illnesses, and I almost didn't put them in. A month ago I was practically incapacitated and I couldn't even walk to my mailbox (100 yds. there and back.) Yesterday I walked over to my neighbor's pond and back (300+ yds one way). I put those in my signature to give people hope, and so that people could see how my gluten sensitivity progressed. It amazes me how it presents so differently in different people. I still have a long way to go in my recovery, but it's getting better every day. :)

Hope you are doing well.

Helen

hhdavid Apprentice

Well, I downloaded the Cook'n Recipe Organizer software from Open Original Shared Link. So far, it looks pretty good. It will take a while to delete all their recipes out of the program and put mine in, but I think I will really like this. I was hoping they had a gluten-free cookbook on their site since they had quite a number of cookbooks, but hopefully they will add one soon. Their web site is Open Original Shared Link.

sbj, thanks for that link! :)

ang1e0251 Contributor

Sounds like you already have a good start but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I like recipezaar for gluten-free recipes. You can make your own cookbook or request one made for you. There is also a shopping list feature. I haven't used that but it sounded good to me.

A hint that helped me, was to go shopping including all your basics. When at home keep your receipt, that has everything you bought spelled out including the price. Next time you shop, the receipt becomes your list! You not only can check off basics so you don't forget anything, you can see how the price compares to what you last paid. Before leaving home, check through the list to see if there is anything you can skip this week, just cross it off.

Let us know what you settle on and how to use it. I could stand to learn some new tricks.

purple Community Regular
Sounds like you already have a good start but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I like recipezaar for gluten-free recipes. You can make your own cookbook or request one made for you. There is also a shopping list feature. I haven't used that but it sounded good to me.

A hint that helped me, was to go shopping including all your basics. When at home keep your receipt, that has everything you bought spelled out including the price. Next time you shop, the receipt becomes your list! You not only can check off basics so you don't forget anything, you can see how the price compares to what you last paid. Before leaving home, check through the list to see if there is anything you can skip this week, just cross it off.

Let us know what you settle on and how to use it. I could stand to learn some new tricks.

I love recipezaar. I save gluten-free recipes for one dd and gluten-free/vegan recipes for the other dd (works great if you are dairy free)

sbj Rookie
Well, I downloaded the Cook'n Recipe Organizer software from Open Original Shared Link. So far, it looks pretty good. It will take a while to delete all their recipes out of the program and put mine in, but I think I will really like this. I was hoping they had a gluten-free cookbook on their site since they had quite a number of cookbooks, but hopefully they will add one soon. Their web site is Open Original Shared Link.

sbj, thanks for that link! :)

Here's hoping it continues to work for you - (I'm always a bit leery of shareware that is free) . . . I forgot to download it myself last nite to see if it would work for my household. It's always easy to search the 'net for recipes but I forget something - I swear - every single time - I go to the grocery store. And my successful recipes, since I sort of cook 'by feel,' I can never recall. I think I need some software assistance as well!

hhdavid Apprentice

ang1e0251, I will definitely check out recipezaar! And I really like the idea of using the receipt for my shopping list.

purple, looks like dairy is not my friend :( I'll check out their gluten-free/dairy free recipes.

sjb, I'm a bit leery of shareware too, but from the looks of their website I think this one will be okay. I still ran virus scan after I downloaded it, and nothing came up, thank goodness! :)

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

Archived