This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Couple Of Questions, Lol More Like A Few Maybe

LandonL

LandonL Contributor

hi all,

Is it possible to have a reaction to corn, as in canned or garden, or frozen corn, but not have any problems with foods that have corn as an ingredient. It seems as if when I eat corn, I have some stomach pain and digestive issues, but foods that contain corn as an ingredient don't seem to effect me. Just curious why this might be or if anyone else has the same issue.

Also, I know a lot of it is dependent on each individual, but if you have been glutened, what are some good things that can be done to help pass the situation quicker? such as getting rid of the D sooner?

And finally this one kind of stumps me. I have started keeping a food journal to try and keep track of things but it seems as if sometimes I can eat certain things and they don't affect me at all, and then other times I can eat the exact same things with nothing that I know of being different and I will have slight reactions to them, any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I can eat a little bit of processed corn, but whole corn does me in pretty quick. I think my tolerance is 15 pieces of popcorn (never counted kernels of corn in canned soup, but there aren't many).

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
hi all,

Is it possible to have a reaction to corn, as in canned or garden, or frozen corn, but not have any problems with foods that have corn as an ingredient.

When you say foods that have corn as an ingredient do you mean cornstarch, corn oil and such or do you also mean corn chips, etc.? I'm the opposite. I can eat fresh corn but generally avoid processed foods with any respectable amount of corn in them as they tend not to agree with me.

mamaw Community Regular

Most folks can not digest corn. I other words ( not a pleasant venture but corn is almost always still in the kernel form when it gets to the poopy stage! Common for everyone not just celiac people.

For some unknown reason many of us have experienced your next question. Eating a gluten-free food with no problem then again & having issues. The only thing I can think of because I also have this happen to me is a food is okay by itself but when adding another food with it it causes distress. I have found grazing instead of eating a full meal at one time works better for me. But I do feel like I'm constantly eating. I can't figure out why this is...

When I first started the gluten-free diet I did not get sick when I got glutened in the learning process but as time moved on & I became efficent in the gluten-free lifestyle I now get sick walking past Auntie Anne's pretzel shop in malls...... plus I have many more things now that I react to.

When you get glutened the length of time to feel better & the severity of the impact is all in the individuals healling response time. No two are alike. There are several things that some think help. Seltzer water, tonic water. glutenase tablets & many more.

hth

mamaw

samcarter Contributor

I have no problems with corn on the cob (a seasonal treat), or corn tortillas. I try not to buy processed corn chips, but buy corn tortillas and bake them to make my own "chips". I think they give me fewer issues than, say, Fritos.

But popcorn....ugh. I used to love popcorn, and be able to hunker down with a nice big bowl of it, but lately it hasn't liked me back. I suspect it is because my consumption of corn (as in tortillas) has gone up since I went gluten free. Whereas I used to eat tortilla chips once in a blue moon, now it's about once a week. So adding popcorn is just a little bit more than my body can take. When I eat it, if i eat more than about a cup or two, popped, I have digestive issues.

We don't use corn as a side dish vegetable around here, because IMO it's not a vegetable....but a starch. I hate those kids' TV dinners (and adult TV dinners) that have a meat, a side of potatoes...and corn for the "vegetable". :huh:

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Eating a gluten-free food with no problem then again & having issues. The only thing I can think of because I also have this happen to me is a food is okay by itself but when adding another food with it it causes distress. I have found grazing instead of eating a full meal at one time works better for me. But I do feel like I'm constantly eating. I can't figure out why this is...

My theory is similar to this. I think that, in addition to what we eat, HOW we eat affects how our food is digested. I notice that on days when I'm late, so I hurry and eat, or when I'm not paying attention to my food and overeat...more often I get sick. Not necessarily gluten-sick, but bloating/gas/cramps nonetheless.

But popcorn....ugh. I used to love popcorn, and be able to hunker down with a nice big bowl of it, but lately it hasn't liked me back. I suspect it is because my consumption of corn (as in tortillas) has gone up since I went gluten free. Whereas I used to eat tortilla chips once in a blue moon, now it's about once a week. So adding popcorn is just a little bit more than my body can take. When I eat it, if i eat more than about a cup or two, popped, I have digestive issues.

I have a problem with popcorn as well :( It sucks!!!

My helpful hints for dealing with symptoms of eating gluten are to use a heat pad or bean bag (I have a corn bag), and drinking lots of tea. I drink fennel or peppermint tea, depending on my symptoms. Hot baths usually help too.

Archived