This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yogurt

digmom1014

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I would like to start making my own yogurt and I have looked at several websites with instructions and recipes. Does anyone use a yogurt machine? If so, what brand?

I was also toying with trying to make yogurt without the machine. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Do you want to make yogurt with or without dairy?

lbd Rookie

You can make yogurt very easily without a machine. I make mine in a good thermos. There are several websites online with specific instructions. Here's one:

Open Original Shared Link

The longer the yogurt sits, the more tart it tastes. To make Greek yogurt, strain the yogurt through a coffee filter for a few hours.

I use a wide mouth thermos - the smaller mouthed thermos can be a bit tricky to get the yogurt out of completely.

I also use raw milk - it has natural enzymes not killed by the pasteurization process and tastes so much better than store-bought milk, but it is not available in every state. I live in PA where you ca still buy raw milk.

Laurie

lbd Rookie

I should add that you should start with a good yogurt base as well. I use Fage greek yogurt as a starter. I wouldn't use the cheaper or flavored brands.

Laurie

HiDee Rookie

I just started making yogurt too. You can use a regular heating pad if you have one. It worked really well! After heating the milk and adding the yogurt starter, you put the yogurt in your containers and put them on the pad and cover them with a towel. I also saw on the crockpot blogger's website how to use your crockpot, you might want to look that one up.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies. I looked up the yogurt crockpot idea and it does exist!! I'm trying it tomorrow. Here is the link:

Open Original Shared Link

WW340 Rookie

I use the salton yogurt maker. It works great, there are lots of tips for making yogurt many different methods in the amazon reviews for the machine. I use the mason jars in the machine. I bought a dry yogurt starter, which is more convenient for me.

Warning though, homemade yogurt can be addictive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I'm going to give this a try in the crock pot too. We go through so much yogurt. I guess we will see.

missy'smom Collaborator

I left mine out a little too long today, oops!, would have been ready before I left for an a.m. appointment but I forgot to put it in the fridge. When I came back at lunchtime, it was nearly bubbling! almost like sourdough starter! A bit sour. Is it ok? Any advice about what to do with it or use it for? I hate to waste all those active bacteria!

miles2go Contributor

I use Madhur Jaffrey's method and just put it in a bowl wrapped in a bathtowel in an unlit oven overnight. Works just fine. Also, if you get into it, try using tea bags/balls in the milk to flavor it. Yum.

Missy's Mom, your yogurt should be just fine. It was developed for travel in the desert.

Margaret

missy'smom Collaborator
I use Madhur Jaffrey's method and just put it in a bowl wrapped in a bathtowel in an unlit oven overnight. Works just fine. Also, if you get into it, try using tea bags/balls in the milk to flavor it. Yum.

Missy's Mom, your yogurt should be just fine. It was developed for travel in the desert.

Margaret

Friends from Japan and friends from India do it similar to the way you do it too. That's what I've been doing but I will play with some other method next time.

hmm..tea infused yogurt sounds very intriguing... I'm up for anthing tea flavored. I'll give that a whirl too. Maybe I'll split that "starter" in half and make up two new batches with it. Do you use the heat the milk method and "brew" the tea with the milk as it is heating, then remove the bag?

Roda Rising Star

I started a batch in the crockpot yesterday at 2:30pm. I followed the directions, and when I got home this morning I had yogurt. I was suprised. This is the first time I have made it. I think I will try a couple of things differently next batch. I am going to try and add about a 1/2 cup of the dry milk instead of the package of unflavored gelatin and see if it makes it thicker. I did put in a colander lined with coffee filters and some whey drained off but not much. I think the geletin may be keeping it from separating. It looks good though. This batch, after I add some pureed strawberries will be a little on the runny side, but hey it should still taste good.

Edit: I put 2 quarts of fresh strawberries in the food processer with sugar to taste and chopped them up and added it to the yogurt. It made it a little more runny, but boy the taste was great. I decided to pour the mixture in popsicle molds for the kids (and myself) for later! :D I'm going to start another batch tonight tweaking things a little bit and I'll post my results. My other thought is the brand of yogurt I used as a starter. All I could find that somewhat suited my taste was Dannon Activia plain. I may have to go to Earth Fare and get a really good whole milk or greek style yogurt next.

missy'smom Collaborator

I put some in popsicle molds too the other day with blueberries cooked in a little water with just a bit of sugar. The berries were already sweet enough. Ds didn't even realize it was yogurt until I told him later. Score one for mom! I'm trying to get him to acquire a taste for it. ;)

miles2go Contributor
Friends from Japan and friends from India do it similar to the way you do it too. That's what I've been doing but I will play with some other method next time.

hmm..tea infused yogurt sounds very intriguing... I'm up for anthing tea flavored. I'll give that a whirl too. Maybe I'll split that "starter" in half and make up two new batches with it. Do you use the heat the milk method and "brew" the tea with the milk as it is heating, then remove the bag?

Well, I did start out as a Salton girl in the '70's and those work well, too. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I got the tea/tisane method from a friend who told me about it only in the briefest of terms. In an Alice Waters recipe that I make for lavender ice cream, she steeps it after it's come to its highest heat, so that's what I do for the yogurt.

Now I've got to try popsicles!

Margaret

Archived