This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lifelong Mystery Solved..

samcarter

samcarter Contributor

My husband commented today that I don't 'fall down' and bump against things as often as I did when we met ten years ago. I was a very, very clumsy kid, and it didn't get any better when I was a teenager. More often than not, I would have huge scabs on my knees from falling, and in college I had bruises up and down my legs from just bumping into things. I even fell out of my loft bed and broke my back, while I was sleeping.

Now, I realized, I don't bump into things as often. I still do, occasionally, but I don't have bruises up and down my legs, and the last time I actually fell--really, competely fell and bloodied my knees---was last fall.

It was probably ataxia, all those years. And it only got worse when I was vegetarian, because i developed a carnitine deficiency, which lead to muscle weakness.

So, add to the positive benefits of a gluten free diet--no more scabbed-up knees and bruises everywhere! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chasbari Apprentice
My husband commented today that I don't 'fall down' and bump against things as often as I did when we met ten years ago. I was a very, very clumsy kid, and it didn't get any better when I was a teenager. More often than not, I would have huge scabs on my knees from falling, and in college I had bruises up and down my legs from just bumping into things. I even fell out of my loft bed and broke my back, while I was sleeping.

Now, I realized, I don't bump into things as often. I still do, occasionally, but I don't have bruises up and down my legs, and the last time I actually fell--really, competely fell and bloodied my knees---was last fall.

It was probably ataxia, all those years. And it only got worse when I was vegetarian, because i developed a carnitine deficiency, which lead to muscle weakness.

So, add to the positive benefits of a gluten free diet--no more scabbed-up knees and bruises everywhere! :)

It's very easy to believe that this is a side benefit. In spite of the short term difficulties of adapting to the diet and the weight loss I have been experiencing, the positive effects on the little stuff (or not so little stuff as in your case!) far outweigh any short term adaptation hassles. Glad to hear about it!

maile Newbie

I've noticed a similar reaction in myself, for years I had bruises up and down my legs from, I assume, bumping into things, bruises that lasted weeks if not months and I'd be stumped as to how I got them. it was not uncommon for me to turn a corner and hit a wall; as a child I was extremely ungraceful, my grandmother would call me "as graceful as the bird they call the elephant", I was even flunked out of ballet at 4 :rolleyes:

since going gluten-free no more funky bruises, no more up close and personal greetings with the walls and furniture. in many ways it almost seems surreal that a body could be reacting like that for years and we would just consider it normal.

samcarter Contributor
I've noticed a similar reaction in myself, for years I had bruises up and down my legs from, I assume, bumping into things, bruises that lasted weeks if not months and I'd be stumped as to how I got them. it was not uncommon for me to turn a corner and hit a wall; as a child I was extremely ungraceful, my grandmother would call me "as graceful as the bird they call the elephant", I was even flunked out of ballet at 4 :rolleyes:

since going gluten-free no more funky bruises, no more up close and personal greetings with the walls and furniture. in many ways it almost seems surreal that a body could be reacting like that for years and we would just consider it normal.

My mom enrolled me in ballet classes when I was 9 or so, and told me it would make me more graceful and give me coordination. Yeah....that worked well. Not only was I pudgy and bloated from gluten intolerance, so I didn't look anything like the other little girls, I was about as graceful as an elephant. Which the teacher politely, tactfully, told my mom.

My brother was clumsy as well, but I think a lot of that was while he was growing so fast during his teen years. I was always clumsy and never stopped dropping things. My husband even asked me to stop buying glass baking pans and measuring cups, because i'd broken so many!

samcarter Contributor

Oh, and of course after I posted this I fell the other day. My four year old had fallen and scraped his elbow badly, and I ran inside while DH held him, to get a wet cloth to clean his elbow. Running back, I tripped on a branch laying on the driveway and fell, and scraped my knee all up.

But...DH laughed when I said, in an excited way, "That is the first time I fell because i TRIPPED on something!" Seriously, usually when i'd fall like that it was because my ankles just gave out or I stepped on the side of my foot instead of the bottom (who DOES that, anyway?) or I tripped over my own darn feet. The sensation of physically tripping over a foreign object (not my feet) was so novel.

jerseyangel Proficient

Great news! It's quite amazing the things that tend to improve once we are off gluten. I bruised easily before going gluten-free, but that was an effect of the anemia, which is also common with undiagnosed/untreated Celiacs.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Seriously, usually when i'd fall like that it was because my ankles just gave out or I stepped on the side of my foot instead of the bottom (who DOES that, anyway?) or I tripped over my own darn feet.

Me LOL. Boy can I identify with this. I also have ataxia and in addition to having that since childhood I have a condition that causes my joints to dislocate frequently. I have even blown out my meniscus just standing up from a crouch. As with you the ataxia has improved a bit since I went gluten free, I now feel like I am walking on a boat in slightly choppy water instead of one in a full blown gale. I also typically fall to the right, the side which had the most nerve damage. My ataxia advanced to the point where I had to either walk next to a wall or use canes and now unless glutened I can walk unaided. It is amazing what this disease can do to people and how many systems it can effect. I am so glad to hear that this has resolved so well for you. It is unlikely I will ever be totally ataxia free, I think because mine had advanced so far but I am happy with the resolution I have had. Other folks may dream of flying but for me I dream of running instead. Still do. I would love the feeling of running and feeling the wind blow through my hair in real life but I can never make it more than a couple feet before I trip over my own feet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samcarter Contributor
Me LOL. Boy can I identify with this. I also have ataxia and in addition to having that since childhood I have a condition that causes my joints to dislocate frequently. I have even blown out my meniscus just standing up from a crouch. As with you the ataxia has improved a bit since I went gluten free, I now feel like I am walking on a boat in slightly choppy water instead of one in a full blown gale. I also typically fall to the right, the side which had the most nerve damage. My ataxia advanced to the point where I had to either walk next to a wall or use canes and now unless glutened I can walk unaided. It is amazing what this disease can do to people and how many systems it can effect. I am so glad to hear that this has resolved so well for you. It is unlikely I will ever be totally ataxia free, I think because mine had advanced so far but I am happy with the resolution I have had. Other folks may dream of flying but for me I dream of running instead. Still do. I would love the feeling of running and feeling the wind blow through my hair in real life but I can never make it more than a couple feet before I trip over my own feet.

Yeah, I'm only 35, and it wasn't until the birth of my third child, two years ago, that my gluten intolerance made itself known, violently. Until then I think it was quieter. Still, I'm amazed that the clumsiness has abated. Also, I don't have that overwhelming feeling that I'm going to fall, every time I'm going downstairs. I used to hate, hate, hate, walking down a flight of stairs. I always had this impending feeling of doom, the feeling of "almost-falling", even though I rarely did actually fall down stairs. Weird. That's gone now.

Archived