This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spacey/disconnected All The Time?

Inki

Inki Newbie

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am on my last legs and am suspecting that I might have a gluten problem. It would be helpful to hear your insights.

My biggest problem is feeling disconnected, spacey--like I cannot tune in and my thoughts are disconnected, like I'm not myself, almost like I'm watching my life on a video tape. It comes and goes throughout the day and is better when I haven't eaten. When my body is done digesting, I feel like it's just finished fighting a beast. Then I can usually focus better for a while until the hell begins again. I am so nauseous all the time that I can barely eat. After I eat, I usually run to the bathroom. This started severely a few days ago.

Before that, I was spacey and had bowel problems for the last three months but it wasn't as severe as now. I was away from home when it got very bad this week and was eating out a lot when the symptoms began.

Before it got this bad, I thought maybe I have problems with sugar, so I cut out all simple sugars. That helped somewhat but not fully at all. I am thinking that maybe it helped only because most sugary foods I ate also happened to have gluten in them--like cereals, etc. I still continued to eat health bread that had wheat in it thinking it's a healthy thing to do.

I gave blood today to test for gluten sensitivity.

This morning I began trying to stay away from gluten. I wonder how long it would take to see improvement after doing that?

The disorientation is unbearable. I really forget who I am in those moments.

Thanks for any thoughts

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

It's good that you got the blood test, but can you also see a neurologist? Whether you have celiac disease or not, you might have something going on neurologically that you should have checked out as well. Celiac disease can certainly explain a lot of different symptoms, but it isn't the answer for everyone, and I'd urge you to go to the neurologist in case there's something serious going on there. My mom had some problems like these and then she had a seizure. Not to, um, scare you or anything. I have no idea what's going on with you, of course, but another avenue of exploration might make sense alongside the celiac lines.

Sagekelli Newbie

Neurologist idea is definately sound but I have the same problem and gluten free clears it right up. I had very little gastrointestinal problems, just mild diarreah every 3weeks or so without any cramping or discomfort, which was weird but it was what it was. I lost tons of weight...and i mean tons! and I have always been thin so needless to say between looking anorexic, eating like a maniac, and acting like a spaced out drunken idoit, everyone who didn't know me well had to confront me on my "drug problem" HOW EMBARRASSING!

ok any way almost 2weeks into a strictly gluten diet I felt amazing! better than these last two sickly years but i also realized that I could think clearer and focus better and accomplish more in less time with less effort than I ever could even since grade school. I didn't realize just how much i was suffering til i felt that much better...i mean i knew i was suffering but i never expected those results!

So....3weeks in I planned to relapse my diet just to make sure it wasnt a placebo effect. well the day before i made a mistake and ate wheat free but not gluten free cookies. just 3. I got a mild headache. I got very drowsy. I slurred my speech. I nodded off mid sentence. I picked fights with everybody just for breathing pretty much and felt soooooo justified in my irritation and anger. I forgot midsentence what i was saying and what the topic had even been even though i was passionatly screaming about it. i stumbled. my baby in a fit came to my lap crying and my fiance told me when i asked what happened that he had been there for 3 or 4 min crying on me for whateveritwas but i was spaced out and didnt realize it. i mean i kinda did but couldn't snap out of it. I was like that for DAYS!

No doctor would listen to me to check celiac because my symptoms werent classic. I met a dr who has celiac and as he put it "It makes my IQ drop about 30 points, im incoherrant, i stumble and slur...it makes me act like a drunk. Some people are effected neurologically by celiac. Sometimes people are effected neurologically by the malabsorbtion (malnutrition) celiac causes." he told me I was clearly malabsorbing and to just try the elimination test since my other dr had told me my bloodwork was neg but tested the wrong thing. I dont have official results but the way i can feel keeping gluten away is too good to go back to misery just so my test results are accurate.

yes celiac or gluten can make you spacey. or the worst kind of drunk.

• 4 years later...
Simon-Australia Newbie

My biggest problem is feeling disconnected, spacey...and had bowel problems for the last three months 

....The disorientation is unbearable. I really forget who I am in those moments.

These are classic symptoms of gluten intolerance for many.  Before going gluten-free I felt very disconnected - now I can really focus and am much more in the present.

This has had a very positive impact on my relationships and business - I don't miss wheat at all !!

The initial detox when kicking gluten can be uncomfortable, but for most it's a short term experience and it is absolutely worth it.

kareng Grand Master

These are classic symptoms of gluten intolerance for many.  Before going gluten-free I felt very disconnected - now I can really focus and am much more in the present.

This has had a very positive impact on my relationships and business - I don't miss wheat at all !!

The initial detox when kicking gluten can be uncomfortable, but for most it's a short term experience and it is absolutely worth it.

Just an FYI, you are responding to a post from 2009. Might not get a response. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Simon-Australia Newbie

Just an FYI, you are responding to a post from 2009. Might not get a response. :)

you replied ;-)

kareng Grand Master

you replied ;-)

Funny... I have heard from posters that don't check the dates of the thread and then get mad when people don't respond. We have plenty of threads from the last few days to respond to and maybe actually help the OP.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

you replied ;-)

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'll probably see people refer to their spaceyiness type symptoms as brain fog here.  That's generally what people call it.  And look, now you have two repsonses! :)

Questore Rookie

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'll probably see people refer to their spaceyiness type symptoms as brain fog here.  That's generally what people call it.  And look, now you have two repsonses! :)

And I'm #3...I have had severe Brain Fog for the last 19 years, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromayalgia, IBS, Anxiety, Depression, and a dozen other things going back 53 years to when I was 6 years old!

I have been Gluten Free 14 days, and have the best, most alert mind, and feeling of happiness since day 4.  Not having the Fog, the Tireds, make it worth living without gluten. 

I look forward to being really well...evidently, like others here on the forum, I have never known what 'well' feels like.

You are looking at your most likely answer already...get tested, and then get off the gluten!

Archived