This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Keratosis Pilaris?

Crayons574

Crayons574 Contributor

Does Keratosis Pilaris have any relation to gluten like DH is?

And if anyone has KP, what products have you found helpful?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
Does Keratosis Pilaris have any relation to gluten like DH is?

And if anyone has KP, what products have you found helpful?

Thanks!!

My son and daughter both have KP, and it's improved a lot since we all went gluten free. My daughter's eczema disappeared within two weeks on the gluten-free diet.

Here are several old threads from this forum on the subject:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=53434

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=12370

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=45093 (scroll down to post # 4 and beyond for discussion of skin rash/KP)

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=42100

Good luck!

JoAnn

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I had KP on my arms and legs. My dermatologist gave me a salicylic acid lotion to use but that didn't work. The only thing that got rid of it was going gluten free.

mimommy Contributor

Well isn't this interesting? I just took my 9 year old daughter to the ped a week and half ago for a rash similiar to what you are describing. My daughter has celiac disease and has had a whiteheadlike/pinkish rash on her arms and chest since she was small. It never itched or turned red. In the past year it started on her upper back, but it was obviously benign and harmless and the ped said it was keratosis.

Since my child's diagnosis of celiac I am of course ever vigilant and am as certain as humanly possible that she is ingesting no gluten whatsoever. I was startled to find a rash on lower back and did some research into DH and thought it might be that. The rash was on her spine in the Y area just above the buttocks. It was dark red, raised, inflamed, about 3-4 or 4-5 inches oblong. It only seemed to itch the first night she had it, so the ped said it could not be DH because that involved extreme prurience (itching) and lesions. The ped said it was just likely more keratosis, but I was very skeptical.

Interestingly enough, the same week my girl showed signs of cc such as stomach pain, 'C', and ankle pain--which really stymies me, as our entire hosehold is gluten free. The only thing out of the ordinary she ate was a single Reese's peanut butter cup.

I was convinced that this new rash was NOT keratosis, but if it was (it has faded now), I am also convinced it was celiac related. Just a 'gut feeling', let's say. I can also say that the raised bumps on my child's arms and chest have not gotten any better at all being gluten free for 10 months. Her keratosis has never 'flared' then disappeared as this new rash did. The final treatment plan prescribed by the ped was to use prescription strength alpha-hydroxy lotion, but my instincts tell me not to. Again, just a gut feeling.

glutenfreejenny Apprentice

I have KP. Is it what you eat the causes the rash or do I need to go gluten free with all my lotions and body washes? That's a pain.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I have KP. Is it what you eat the causes the rash or do I need to go gluten free with all my lotions and body washes? That's a pain.

It may be a pain but I would switch to gluten free lotions and body washes as well as all topical products for a while and see if it helps. My DS had KP all thoughout his childhood but it was brushed off by the ped, as was his stunted growth and stomach pain and depressive issues all of which resolved on the the diet, followed strictly. It did take a couple of months for the KP to see any improvement.

purple Community Regular

My dd has it on her upper arms.

Her head was itchy recently and sure enough, her shampoo had wheat. She switched brands but I didn't check it (she is 17) and she kept on itching. The new shampoo had wheat also. Be sure to check if it has vitamin E, it could be a wheat source. Google the box above and you will find lots of KP info. My dd is not Celiac but certainly allergic!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived