This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food For Travel?

dandelionmom

dandelionmom Enthusiast

What would you bring to a hotel with no fridge or microwave? I only know of one gluten-free friendly restaurant in the area. I'm traveling for work so I don't have a lot of options! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tgrahek Newbie

Chicken packets (available in grocery stores in the tuna section) are good with crackers. Bring a few packets of mayo.

Minute rice cooks up nicely with the hot water from the coffee pot. You can get broth packets (I get mine at Trader Joe's) to add to the rice for flavor.

My kids like Spam in the single serve pouches but I know that is an aquired taste.

You can bring a box of cereal and then buy individual rice or soy milk boxes, they are the size of juice boxes and don't need refrigeration before being opened.

Hormel pepperoni doesn't need refrigeration before being opened either. We like those on crackers with mustard.

We like Lara bars and a bananas for breakfast.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

If you like peanut butter that would be good to take. You can eat it with apples, spread it on a corn torilla and add a banana, spread it on crackers. I also put it on Hershey bars. Now I am really hungry for peanut butter......

mamaw Community Regular

The other two posters gave some good ideas. I just wanted to mention that if you contact the hotel & let them know about celiac they usually have a micro & fridge available for these reasons. When booking I always ask & have been told no but I call & speak to the manager & explain that this is under the disability act & I get one of each appliance in my room. SOmetimes I pay a small fee but most of the time it is just given.

I have never been refused after speaking to the manager....

Diabetic patients who need their insulin refrigerated get appliances are well.....

hth

mamaw

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

A few months ago I put a small George Foreman grill in my suitcase when I had to travel. As long as you can get to a grocery store (if you have a car) it works like a charm! :)

one more mile Contributor

Trail mix of dried fruit and nuts

can of pink salmon

dried prunes, apricots, raisins, cranberries

something you baked, banana bread, crackers, non frosted cake

I have made muffins in custard bowls and brought them for the first mornings breakfast. I use almond flour and an egg and some fruit or nut or raisin, cinnamon so it is a whole meal.

a good cooler! with juice and tea in it to keep me from the soda machine.

some hotels have a public microwave.

I traval for work BY CAR and have a bag I call my kitchen. It has all the basics in it. a can opener, knife, cutting board, plates bowls snack bars, a few cans of fruit, meat, and trail mix. that way I can move fast and do not forget to pack the can opener. for a while I was buying one each time I went on a trip. lol

Archived