Nancy Kotlowski

Bread Machine Vs. Oven

Rate this topic

I am new to Gluten Free baking. I think the cooking part (meals) and the shopping issue are much easier then baking. I find it easy enough to whip up a gluten-free dinner or whatever meal but desserts or bread is another story. So I have been experimenting with bread and cakes. For bread I have just used a bread machine because I have been using the packaged mix where I just add a few ingredients. But I am not happy about the color of the bread. I haveeven tried the "light" setting and the crust on the sides and bottom are too dark. The machine is rather old. So all this to ask you vetrans what you prefer and why?

Thanks and happy eating.

Nancy

I think both have their advantages (for one, in the oven, you don't have a dent in the middle of the loaf where the paddle was, but it's more labor-intensive). I have a brand-new breadmaker and it doesn't have that problem. I really love it, actually, and it has a gluten-free setting! Most packaged mixes require the white bread setting, but it's good for breads made from scratch.

I find that the oven, using a baking stone, gives the best results. BUT, it's easier to use the bread maker to prepare the dough (at least through the rising).

For some reason my bread comes out better in my bread machine. I customized my own bread machine setting. I have the Breadman Ultimate and it's gluten free setting did not have enough rise time. Also I remove the paddle when it's done kneading, so the hole is not as big. ;)