JustCan

Whole Foods/gluten-free Pantry Bread Mix

Rate this topic

I'm celiac and my son was just diagnosed with allergies to eggs and nuts. I'm breastfeeding so I need to eliminate these from my diet as well. I had been eating an awesome bread from the grainless baker but can't have that anymore. I have a few of the sandwich bread mixes in the house from Whole Foods and the gluten-free Pantry but you need to put eggs in them. Has anyone successfully subbed the eggs out and if so, with what? Or, if you have a good bread that doesn't have eggs or nuts that would be helpful too. Thanks!

I'm celiac and my son was just diagnosed with allergies to eggs and nuts. I'm breastfeeding so I need to eliminate these from my diet as well. I had been eating an awesome bread from the grainless baker but can't have that anymore. I have a few of the sandwich bread mixes in the house from Whole Foods and the gluten-free Pantry but you need to put eggs in them. Has anyone successfully subbed the eggs out and if so, with what? Or, if you have a good bread that doesn't have eggs or nuts that would be helpful too. Thanks!

There's a product called Egg Replacer that a lot of people use; I think it's made by Ener-G.

You can either use bananas or ground flaxseed to replace the eggs. Flaxseed will also add some fiber which is good since eating gluten free lacks in fiber

1 Banana = 1 Egg

! Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons Water = 1 Egg

I make the Whole Foods brand mix all the time with no eggs. I use the Ener-G brand egg replacer for that and find that I don't have to make any changes with it. It turns out great!

I personally wouldn't go the banana route with this bread, unless you want banana tasting sandwich bread. But I may try the flaxseed substitution... I had forgotten about that and it sounds like it might be a nice change.