Lynnie

What About Oats?

Rate this topic

Can you eat Oats if you have Celiac?

Oat are naturally gluten free, but there is a high risk for cross contamination in the field, harvesting and manufacturing.

There are some dedicated oats in the market place.

Ohhhh, so happy to hear this. So if I find the right kind of Oats, I can still have them? Yayyyy! Any suggestions on a good brand to buy?

I can't eat oats, even the gluten free ones. Not even baked into cookies. Forget the oatmeal, I want cookies.

I've used Gifts of Nature and Cream Hill Estate brand oatmeal with no problem. Hope they are OK for you, too.

There is one place I have heard of....Gluten Free Oats, 578 Lane 9, Powell, Wy...82435...tele # 307-754-2058.... there is also Bobs Red Mill that has Gluten free oats.....I have used Bobs Red mill...with no problems....been thinking of ordering some from the Powell, Wyoming place...but haven't yet.....

Hi, I you can have oats, but they need to be gluten free oats. There are several sources, I use Bob's Red Mill and have not had a reaction yet.

However, it is said that you do need to wait until you have healed before you start trying oats. Oats have a protein in them (avenin) that some celiacs have an additional issue with.

Personally I waited almost 2 years after being gluten-free to try oats, and even then I eat them sparingly as I don't want to push the envelope so to speak.

please go here for more information:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/840/1/Oats-...ease/Page1.html

In theory, you can have oats, but as the other posters have said, wait a while before you challenge your guts, and then only use certified gluten-free oats and see if you have a reaction. I can't eat them, alas, even when gluten-free, but many can.

Our GI recommended 6 months gluten free before trying the oats and then start off slow. She's not a huge oatmeal fan so she doesn't have a whole lot in one sitting anyway.

We use the Bob's Red Mill with no problems. Bob's Red Mill has both gluten free and regular (NOT GLUTEN FREE) oats. If you get Bob's make sure you get the gluten free ones . . . it's written real big on the package.

I found Bob's Red Mills certified gluten-free oats just last year... after years of being gluten-free. I LOVED oatmeal and really missed it. I made it w/ a spoonful of brown sugar and lots of blueberries... BEST dang breakfast I'd had in SOOOO long!!

What store did you buy it in?

well... oats are the one place I would say "it's not that they've got gluten, or that they are gluten-free. it's more complicated than that."

"gluten", at least as we use it, not as is botanically correct, refers to a cereal protein that someone with celiac disease will react to in an auto-immune fashion. this is true for gliadin (the wheat protein), secalin (the rye protein), and hordein (the barley protein). these three proteins are structurally very similar, at a molecular level, which means our immune system treats them as essentially the same thing. but avenin (the oat protein)... it's pretty similar to gliadin, but not as similar as secalin or hordein. so, SOME people DO have an autoimmune reaction to it. studies suggest that, in moderated doses, only about 10% of celiacs react to avenin.

of course, oats are often grown alternating with wheat, or in nearby fields. they are also processed in shared facilities many times. so there is ALSO a risk of wheat contamination.

you would have to try gluten-free oats and see if you're one of the 10% of celiacs who will react to know if oats are safe for YOU.