foodiegurl

Imodium

Rate this topic

Can Imodium be used if you don't have D, but just to reduce symptoms of a sore stomach during a glutening?

I need to find something.

Thanks.

Can Imodium be used if you don't have D, but just to reduce symptoms of a sore stomach during a glutening?

Thanks.

I wouldn't--it might cause the opposite problem ;)

Have you tried Pepto Bismol? I use the caplets (I hate the taste of the liquid and the chewables), and find that helpful. Mint tea is soothing--I use Stash, it's made in a gluten-free facility. Maybe lie down with a heating pad....

Sometimes just keeping a little something in your stomach can help--bland things like a banana or a baked potato.

Hope you feel better soon :)

I agree with the previous poster. I avoid Immodium unless I abosolutely have to go somewhere and want to avoid the D. It does nothing for the stomach pain. I also use Pepto Bismal but I use the liquid. For me it works very quickly.

I agree with the previous poster. I avoid Immodium unless I abosolutely have to go somewhere and want to avoid the D. It does nothing for the stomach pain. I also use Pepto Bismal but I use the liquid. For me it works very quickly.

So the liquid pepto is gluten-free? I actually have the tablets on hand so that is good to know...pepto always scares me because it turns my poo black :rolleyes:

So the liquid pepto is gluten-free? I actually have the tablets on hand so that is good to know...pepto always scares me because it turns my poo black :rolleyes:

All forms of Pepto are gluten-free--I confirmed that with the company.

It can turn your tongue or stool black, but that is completely harmless.

I use the Pepto tablets too (just make sure you have water ready to drink it down - they started dissolving on my tongue last night! :blink: )

They seem to relieve the pain & nausea pretty well.

If you use Imodium use, stick with the chewables or tablets - the liquid version isn't certified gluten free.

Thanks.

i use motilium. it releives bloating and cramps and gas. but might not be good for the D. it contains doperamide. if anyone else can give advice on that.

You could also ask your doctor about NuLev, a prescription antispasmodic. I was given it after I was diagnosed by my GI--it's a tiny pill that dissolves under your tongue. It relives cramping.

Just another thought if you don't get relief from the OTC meds. :)

I too was told to use Imodium by several friends with gluten sensitivity and or celiac. I was using 2 Imodium in the a.m. and still having some diarrhea in afternoon, which I attributed to lack of fiber. So I added 1 Metamucil capsule in the afternoon. Sometimes this works - as in the last 4 days, but this morning, I am having purging diarrhea. I wonder if it could have been caused by one spicy cashew I had before dinner?? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I know everything else was ok - and in fact, we had leftovers - chicken mole using a mole sauce I had made with gluten free ingredients. For a while I thought fish oil was contributing to my problem, but quit that 4 days ago. It's like - HELP - what do I do? Take Pepto Bismal instead? Not take the Metamucil pill? Since I quit the fish oil, I haven't had gas. Any suggestions?

I forgot to add that I had quit taking 2 Imodium because it made me too constipated, so was taking 1 Imodium with the metamucil.

If I used NuLev, would I not use Imodium or Metamucil? I am gluten sensitive not Celiac.

If I used NuLev, would I not use Imodium or Metamucil? I am gluten sensitive not Celiac.

I found that the NuLev was only good for cramping--I don't use it anymore since I only get occasional D. I use Immodium for D, when needed.

I've never used Metamucil, so I'm not sure about that. Since NuLev is a prescription drug, I would ask the doctor about combining it with other things.