Glutenfreefamily

Do Others Get Mad And Agitated When They Have Been Glutened?

Rate this topic

Im pissed honestly and I dont know if its my true feelings or if Im just ticked off because of a reaction my body is having. Me, my daughter, and husband were over at my mil's house. I bring our own food always. I dont allow any gluten in my household at all as me and my daughter both have strong reactions to it. To me it is no different than spreading rat poison on my food.

I was in the other room when my daughter opened her lays stax chips (which we have never had a reaction to) when I wasnt in the room and I didnt think anything of it. We brought them home and I ate some. I have already had a seizure tonight and Im waiting for the diarrhea to kick in. The joint pain and migraine have already started. My daughter is also reacting to it already. Im just pissed off now as I just know someone ate out of the chips container and I dont know if it was my mil not thinking like her normal self or my husband who likes to cheat on gluten when we go out. I hate getting glutened as it makes me feel horrible for days. My daughter is cranky and hyper tonight (normal reaction for her) while I can barely keep my eyes open. Of course my husband is gone to work and cant stay up with her because its all I can do to keep my eyes open right now. Its near 12:30am and my 5 year old is wide awake and cant relax and sleep.

I feel like an ogre for saying this but if it was him that caused this I hope he is having diarrhea now from the gluten at work (which he sometimes does) as a payback for tonight :angry:

Sorry for the rant it just makes me so mad and he is insensitive to how I have to deal with a glutening. He better thank his lucky stars he is not here tonight since with the way I feel I dont know if I could keep my emotions under control. Im just sick of feeling this way and I dont feel I should have to or have my little 5 year old go through it when my husband doesnt use his head. Even if my mil reached in he knows to mention to her not to do it that ashley will pull some out as it could cross contaminate it.

Hi there,

To answer your question, yes I get very emotional and angry/upset when I unintentionally get some gluten in my food. Sometimes it is much more intense than other times.

I understand why you are frustrated and how your husband gets frustrated with your gluten intolerance. It is hard for both people and especially for an entire family. The thing is people who do not have the disease are not educated enough about the disease and all the neurological and physical side effects that it has on a person with gluten intolerance. The only thing we can hope for is a future with more worldwide acceptance and education about gluten intolerance and celiac disease.

I don't understand how your chips could have come in contact with any gluten. Do you think your husband or mother in law reached their hand in the bag after touching something with gluten and not washing their hands? Or do you think the chips had an additive or a form of powder/thickener that could have made you sick?

A really good read if you haven't already is "The Gluten Connection". It's tells a lot about cross reactivity and this is what you may be experiencing. Cross reactivity is where your body reacts negatively to a food you eat, even if it does not contain gluten, if you eat a product that is similar to gluten your body will react the same way it would if you had ingested it. Even if the chips were manufactured in a warehouse that manufactures other products with gluten, that could be the culprit too. Which you probably are already aware of.

I have a hard time eating any processed carbohydrates. It's like my body was not designed to be able to handle them. So I definitely understand how you feel when you are moody, upset, irritable and frustrated. When I was a little girl I was extremely moody and had temper tantrums, all which I believe could have been prevented had my doctor tested me for celiac or gluten intolerance.

I'm so sorry you don't feel well. :( I am going through something similar where I am having problems with cheese and dairy products now and even soy. I have cut gluten out of my diet but now will probably have to do without soy and even cheese, one of my favorites.

There are options out there :) I do hope you feel better soon. There is also a product called Gluten Ease - it's a tablet that releases digestive enzymes into your bloodstream to help with the digestion of gluten should it be ingested accidentally. The problem with this is that it obviously could not help with the neurological symptoms you are experiencing because it is merely a digestive aid.

Hope this information helps.

thanks for the reply :)

My daughter told me late last night that my husband reached in and ate chips. Im sure he didnt wash his hands after eating gluten. It just makes me so mad for his total disregard for me and her and how we feel after we have eaten it. I dont think he thinks of anyone but himself at times or he just doesnt believe that it could makes us that sick. You would think someone having a seizure over it every time would clue him in. My nephew has peanut allergies and while I dont I make sure he doesnt come exposed to anything while he is in my house that could make him sick.

I have been gluten free for years and so has he by default in our house. I just dont think he has any respect for how others feel. I did feel bad before when he started getting diarrhea from eating it after going gluten free in our house but I truly think it was for a reason since if he is getting it also he will clue in.

Oh my.. I turn into a witch! So bad, my husband almost left me before I was diagnosed.

Now he atleast knows that it is the gluten.

I will snap at anything!

My language turns from that of an angel to that of a truck driver. I was recently cc'd 3 times in 3 weeks ( lots of family picnics) and the last time I was literally throwing things around the kitchen. Glad there were no people around- they would have gone, too! Normally, I'm very quiet and easy-going. Don't feel bad, just get better.

I'm so sorry that happened--your reaction is most likely a combination of the gluten and just plain being ticked off at your husband. ;)

I get more emotional and even weepy when glutened--it doesn't take much to set me off. I know it's happening, but I can't seem to stop myself :lol:

Hope you and your daughter feel better soon!