Rate this topic

New to this forum. Had blood work and biopsy that came back negative for celiac but biopsy showed gastritis. Decided to go ahead and try gluten free as I was having stomach pain after eating and indigestion as well as headaches almost daily.

I have been on the gluten-free diet for 2 mths. now and the headaches and stomach pains are gone but still get indigestion once in

a while. I was taking gluten-free digestive enzymes (papaya) and realized that with gastritis you should not take any digestive enzymes with protease as they can irritate the stomach lining making the gastritis worsen. Was given the advice to try probiotics with as many different strains as possbile as well as taking whole leaf aloe vera juice as the aloe will coat the stomach. Has anyone had problems with gastritis? And what has helped clear it up?

For me Pepto Bismal liquid has been very helpful when I get glutened and the stomach pain returns. Have you given up dairy? Limiting or giving up dairy when first going gluten free can help you heal a bit faster. When you are feeling good again then add it back in and see if you react.

For me Pepto Bismal liquid has been very helpful when I get glutened and the stomach pain returns. Have you given up dairy? Limiting or giving up dairy when first going gluten free can help you heal a bit faster. When you are feeling good again then add it back in and see if you react.

I have limited dairy quite a bit and it seems to be helping but haven't eliminated all dairy. Do you have gastritis? How do I know if I have been glutened or if the indigestion just has not cleared up completely? It is not every day and the indigestion doesn't always appear when I eat dairy. Pretty sure I am not consuming any gluten. Could it be that the indigestion/gastritis just takes longer to clear up? Also forgot to mention that the gluten free diet has so far cleared up sinus congestion and cough, stomach pain and headaches just not the indigestion.

I have limited dairy quite a bit and it seems to be helping but haven't eliminated all dairy. Do you have gastritis? How do I know if I have been glutened or if the indigestion just has not cleared up completely? It is not every day and the indigestion doesn't always appear when I eat dairy. Pretty sure I am not consuming any gluten. Could it be that the indigestion/gastritis just takes longer to clear up? Also forgot to mention that the gluten free diet has so far cleared up sinus congestion and cough, stomach pain and headaches just not the indigestion.

It might be helpful for you to keep a food diary for a while. Note not just what you are eating but also when symptoms appear. It is not uncommon for us to have other intolerances, soy is a big one it seems. Also if the issue is an intolerance the symptoms may take 3 or 4 days to appear so the diary can be helpful in pinpointing a pattern.

I was diagnosed with gastritis at the beginning of last year. I am pretty sure it was related to a glutening, I was just so new to the diet I didn't realize it at the time. The doc put me on pepcid and told me to avoid dairy, alcohol, and eating too much until it calmed down....

What worked for me: I ate bland food, and did take the pepcid for a couple of days. What I have come to realize is that I get gastritis when I get glutened. Everything I eat hurts me for about a week. When this happens, I drink pure apple cider vinegar with some water a couple times a day, and with meals. I'm not really sure why this helps, but it does. Everyone is different, so it just depends on what works for you.

As ravenwoodglass pointed out, it's very important to be able to differentiate your gluten symptoms from any additional food intolerances you may have. For instance, soy makes me sick within 1/2 hr after eating it, but it also clears up pretty quickly. Gluten makes me sick in about the same time, but it takes much, much longer to get over it, and it makes me feel much worse. But, it took me a little while to be able to tell the difference, mostly because I was still figuring out that I had other intolerances.

I still get indigestion from time to time. I can always pin it down to something I shouldn't have eaten...

Gastritis doesn't necessarily have to be related to gluten. In the fall of 2007, after I'd been vigilantly gluten free for three years, I was having several GI problems, and I had an upper endoscopy. Among other things, they found severe gastritis (but no presence of H. Pylori or any direct cause of why it might be happening). The doctor tried me on a few different types of meds, but they didn't really help, so I ate really bland and easy to process foods for a while, and eventually it went away on its own (or at least I started to feel much better). I know this is not really a satisfying response, but I just didn't really find an instant cure or anything.