lisa_123

Just Had An Endoscope

Rate this topic

Just had an endoscope and im not sure if this is normal or not but my throat really really hurts. I feel like they may have cut something on the way down with the camera, really hurts to swallow.

Did anyone else have this side effect? and if so how long did it take to go away????

One possible explanation:

For some people, the anesthesia that puts you out overcomes their gag reflex. For others, numbing spray is needed. For my first scope, I asked the doctor before he started and because I said I had a sensitive gag reflex he sprayed and I had no problem. I didn't think to ask before the second and they had to stop the procedure and spray my throat. I had a sore throat after the second test but not after the first. It took a couple of days to completely go away but was barely noticable after the first 24 hours.

My throat hurt for several days after but they took a biopsy of my throat to check for Barrett's Esophagus. Maybe they did the same thing for you. Just try all the remedies they suggest for sore throats (salt water, ice cream, etc.) and it should help a bit with the pain.

My throat hurt for about 48 hours afterwards, a good excuse to eat some gluten-free ic cream :)

If it doesn't get better or if you're really worried, give them a call or go see your DR, but it is normal to experience a sore throat after such a procedure. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Just had an endoscope and im not sure if this is normal or not but my throat really really hurts. I feel like they may have cut something on the way down with the camera, really hurts to swallow.

Did anyone else have this side effect? and if so how long did it take to go away????

It's not at all unusual to have a sore throat for a day or so after an endoscopy. :)

Thanks for all your replies:)

i though it was normal, but just wanted to check. They did actually give me numbing solution before i went under so i was kind of expecting no pain ;)

It's not at all unusual to have a sore throat for a day or so after an endoscopy. :)