tfrankenberger

Problem With Gluten Free Breads

Rate this topic

I have been keep a food and feelings journal for my son with Celiac Disease. I notice on the days when he feels "off" or low energy or a little upset stomach is on the days when he has had a gluten free bread, all made with brown rice flour and tapioca flour or starch. Does anyone know of this happening or what could be causing it?

I've read a lot of places that some people have issues with xanthan gum, and/or yeast. It might not be the flours, could be other additives possibly! I hope you figure it out!

I cannot have alot of gluten-free products because I'm also intolerant of dairies, eggs, rice and beans!! Rice and bean flours are staples to the alternatives of gluten flours. And alot of breads have dairy/casien and eggs in them! So, finding a bread that is gluten-free, bean-free, rice-free, egg-free, and dairy free......just doesn't happen, lol. I suspect your son has more intolerances than just glutens.

My kids, and myself, can't handle too much fiber from grains. I have a fab bread recipe that I got online, made from brown rice flour, sorghum, and ground flax seed. It tastes great, but also has a ton of fiber, and gives us all stomach aches and cramps if we eat too much. I think this is the same reason we can't tolerate gluten free oats...too much fiber. But I can tolerate fiber from fruits and veggies just fine...two of my fav superfoods to get in each day are avocado and blueberries. High in fiber, and easy on the stomach.

I've also had to cut down on my baked goods made with brown rice flour (Annelise Roberts mix) and refined sugar....we all seem to be doing much better without it. We've been at this for four years, I've been gluten-free for two years, and we are still learning new ways to cook and eat. It's a long process!

I am sensitive to small amounts of gluten cross contamination and find that I can't eat very many "gluten-free" foods containing grains without getting symptoms.

If these are breads that you buy, remember that even though some products are labeled gluten-free, they can still contain small amounts of gluten. For the sensitive, this can be too much. It could be that or another food sensitivity. My friend's DD cannot tolerate tapioca starch. Although xanthum gum seems to be well tolerated, guar gum can have a laxative effect, it does on me.

All that being said, it may just be that the alternative grains just do not sit well with him. They don't with me. They don't make me exactly sick but I feel much better when I avoid them most of the time. I now eat them only occasionally.